Notary Rotary
How are we to know? Non-Borrower and forms
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by GL/CA on 12/12/05 10:45pm
Msg #82072

Can someone tell me which forms is the Non-borrower to sign? California please.

Reply by PB_CA on 12/12/05 11:36pm
Msg #82083

I have done a few of these and the doc's that get signed by the non-borrowing spouse are: Deed of Trust, all Riders, TIL and Terms, Itemization of Amount Financed, and RTC. Sometimes the forms are listed in the instruction or if your doing a Countrywide loan they will list them for you. I hope this helps.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/12/05 11:55pm
Msg #82086

** Deed of Trust, all Riders, TIL **
All riders to the DOT, but not the note riders .... in Texas, anyhow.

Reply by GL/CA on 12/12/05 11:57pm
Msg #82087

Thanks a bunch.

Reply by B__CA on 12/13/05 2:20am
Msg #82095

I did a Countrywide on Saturday and they didn't list them any documents for the non-obs to sign. The processor told me to just get Mrs borrower to sign the Payment coupon and the RTC. I said, also the DOT, and any Riders, TIL, Itemization form, and Document correction and fee due agreement. Which I have done for them, before. She says "OH, Yess, those, too!" Funny thing was the SS information sheet, said, on non-obs do not let the non-borrower sign anything unless their name is printed on the signature line.

Reply by Lee/AR on 12/13/05 7:57am
Msg #82114

Don't think there is ONE right answer to this...

Seems to me that it's state/lender/title co specific. Have had anywhere from 2 to everything! Go figure. I generally go by "sign where name is printed". If it's wrong, it's on them, not you.

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 12/13/05 8:14am
Msg #82116

I agree with Lee...

Have the borrower sign on each spot that lists their name. If the name is not there, they don't sign. I don't care about the legalities of who signs what and why. I look for the borrower name on the doc, get the ink on the paper, and get the heck out of there...

The only time I make an exception to this is if the SS/TC gives me written instructions on which forms the non-borrowing spouce is to sign.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/13/05 8:30am
Msg #82122

Re: Don't think there is ONE right answer to this...

If the non-ob is not on the standard docs I always call and confirm to leave them off. TCs expect you to know...my experience, anyhow. Not long ago a sub-prime lender-man griped at me big time because I called during an appointment to inquire about whether or not these son and dil were to go on the usual docs...they said they were there to sign papers w/ the parents and that was the first I had heard of it.

Their names were not on the docs and they were definitely supposed to sign. He was a jack asx. I think embarrassed because it appeared he did not do his job right, maybe?

OF COURSE - DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO SIGN NON-OBS? YOU KNOW, LIKE THE SPOUSE???

I'll spare you my terse reply.

Reply by GL/CA on 12/13/05 9:48am
Msg #82141

Re: Don't think.....I agree with Lee

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 12/13/05 11:20am
Msg #82176

Re: Don't think.....I agree with Lee

All the Countrywides I have done have the nobs sign quite a few of the docs. If there's a spouce and thier name is not on any of the docs I like to call and make sure reguardless of who the lender is.

There are times when just the borrower signs, so I do like to call and verify. There have been times that I've had it go either way. If there's a QCD in effect the nob might not sign. I just let them know that I am calling for clarification so that the job is done correctly. So far I have gotten the clarification and a thanks for verifying. They want the job done right as do I. I document who I spoke with and what thier instructions were.

My area of expertise is not as a lender, title clerk, or lawyer. I'm an NSA, I don't want to overstep my boundaries by making a decision that is not mine to make if there isn't clarity. Calling may be a pain, but making sure it's done right is better than having an issue later on.

Reply by Tina_MA on 12/13/05 11:26am
Msg #82180

Re: Don't think there is ONE right answer to this...

I agree with Brenda. The TC is paying us good money to make sure their docs are signed correctly. You should know what's needed to complete a signing correctly.

I always look to see who is listed on the Mortgage or DOT. If someone is listed on the Mortgage or DOT, I always have them sign the RTC, TIL and Itemization, and Mortgage or DOT and all applicable Riders.

If the borrower states that their spouse is on title (or that they have a Homestead) and is not listed on the Mortgage or DOT, I will call the TC and see how property is vested.

If TC is not available by phone, I take borrowers copies of RTC, TIL and Itemization, and Mortgage or DOT and Riders and have all parties sign those. I then have the originals signed by just the parties listed on them. I then put a note on the docs and explain the situation and let TC know to pick the docs that pertain to the situation. This has saved many a signing.

As to the borrowers' copies of those docs, I will email, fax, or mail them back to them.

Sometimes, but not always, there are title affidavits that also need to be signed by the non-borrower.

You are providing a service to these companies, part of that service is knowing what is required in your state.

Remember, the better the service you provide, the more repeat business you will have.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/13/05 12:42pm
Msg #82202

NY/Legals Only

Mortgage, HUD, Til and Notice of Right to Cancel and maybe some various and sundry affidavits; name etc.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.