Notary Rotary
Legal Size Jackets or Portfolios
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by JDB and Associates Wade on 12/2/05 1:23pm
Msg #79919

I am trying to locate a nice-looking LEGAL-SIZED portfolio to present to the borrowers, with their documents inside. Can someone recommend a websitewhere I might find such a thing?

At the beginning of the year, I purchased a large supply of Smead legal jackets from a surplus supplier. They have no more in stock. I purchased 10 cases, each case having 50 jackets inside, for less than $100.00. Now I go on line and Office Depot wants $50 for 100.

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/2/05 1:40pm
Msg #79923

I just put them in a legal size manilla folder with colorful name label with their name(s) on it. After we sit I tell them that they can write any notes/questions they may have on the inside of the folder, they seem to like that.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 12/2/05 1:58pm
Msg #79933

Charm, do you give the borrower

their copies of the docs when you first sit down? I've always held onto the documents until after the signing. I try to avoid giving anyone the opportunity of shuffling two sets of documents together. Had it happen only once and now I hold onto the borrower's copies until after closing. Also, many of the companies I work with say they don't want the borrower's copies left with them in the event of a "no sign" and have stated to hold the copies until after the signing.

I really do like the idea that the borrowers have something in front of them to note their questions and comments on. I think that's an excellent idea. The folder is ideal.

I have an expandable manilla legal-size folder I put the borrower's copies in. On the outside of the folder I place a self adhesive business card holder which I put my card in. All but one borrower liked the folder (it's closed on 3 sides, you put the docs in from the top) who commented that it was too big to fit anywhere.

I like being able to leave my business card in the clear pocket on the front. Avoids having your business card tossed to the side. If they remember the card is on the front of the envelope, they will have access to it in the future.

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/2/05 2:16pm
Msg #79942

Re: Charm, do you give the borrower

Maggie, I set the folder off to the side as I say, "this is a complete set of everything that we will sign, for you to go over at your leisure." If a question pops up I say "well, grab your file and note your concern and we'll call the loan officer after the signing or depending on the question, "that's something that you'll be able to get cleared up over the next three days with your LO." then remind them of the RTC.
I usually staple my card to the inside of the folder and give them one after the signing as well for referrals. Of course I make my own, so it's not that costly. I also send a card with every package, also in a manila folder with the borrowers name and date on the tab. On the outside of the folder I attach a little hand written sticky note thanking them for the business (sometimes a comment on the signing to give them a 'heads up'.) I put the card under half the sticky side.
In the event (once) of a no sign, I'll take their folder back and apologize for the loan not being what they were expecting. Of course they won't take it out on me because I've made it clear at the start that I'm an independent contractor and do not work for their LO/TC/mortgage company.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 12/2/05 2:27pm
Msg #79944

Charm... You are the woman!!!!

What you do is what sets you apart from the rest!

When I read your earlier posting I couldn't believe that you sit down and hand the file to the borrower. Glad I asked for the clarification and I'm I love your response and outlining how others can impress the pants off borrowers, LO and TC alike!

You go girl!

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/2/05 2:46pm
Msg #79952

Re: Charm... You are the woman!!!!

Thanks Maggie!!! you made me blush

Reply by TCMN on 12/2/05 2:05pm
Msg #79937

I use the legal folders and have gotten a large amount from a supplier that occassionally have extras on Ebay. I generally get a large amount at a time and I haven't seen them listed lately but I have more than enough to get through next year probably.

You could try there.

I like to hear other people are going that extra step. The notaries out there that say that they can "afford" to take the $40 signings don't do these "extras". I know that even if I spend $1.00 per folder (which I don't) I think it stands out and I have had companies say that they were impressed that I do something like that because they either have heard it from the borrower (in their feedback surveys) or when a loan officer is actually at the signing. They like that I do that and have told the companies that hired me.

Smiley

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/2/05 2:09pm
Msg #79938

Thats a good idea. I need to start doing that. I never even thought to do something like that. Like I said earlier you learn something new everyday.

Reply by JD_inMD on 12/2/05 2:10pm
Msg #79939

We give color legal size folders (from the sale racks at wal mart, $1 for 10) and inside clip a small size note pad (from the dollar store, $1 for 10) for the borrowers to make notes on if they wish. I just hand them the note pad at the beginning but hold on to the docs till the signing is complete.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/2/05 3:35pm
Msg #79976

You have a better Wally Mart than we do. I've been there looking for legal size anything and they never had any. Have asked about legal size copier paper and was told they don't stock it. I have to get my 'super-sized' supplies from Staples, Office Max or Office Depot.

Reply by JD_inMD on 12/2/05 3:58pm
Msg #79981

Wal Mart stocks almost everything here, just ask the wife, she practically lives there.

Reply by Ep/NE on 12/2/05 7:30pm
Msg #80030

we have our company logo printed on ours with a business card slots inside the pockets. its a little pricy at $3.00 per , but we are professional and not a $40.00 NSA

Reply by JD_inMD on 12/3/05 5:08am
Msg #80075

What the heck does that mean? You spend $3 on a folder so someone who does not is not a professional and a $40 NSA?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.