Notary Rotary
Mentoring
Notary Discussion History

Mentoring
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by PartikgirlNJ on 12/11/05 11:45am
Msg #81853

Mentoring

Can I take someone I am mentoring to a closing? Are they counted as a "outside Party?. I am in NJ

Thanks

Reply by Anonymous on 12/11/05 12:02pm
Msg #81854

Re: NO

Reply by BetsyMI on 12/11/05 12:20pm
Msg #81855

That was a stupid answer, Anonymous. Why bother.

Regarding taking someone you are mentoring to a closing, you have to consider whether or not the entity that hired you would want you to do this. You also have to consider how you are going to explain who this person is to the borrower, and would they mind having an outside party sitting there, privy to their financial business.

I would never do this, but that's just my own opinion.

Reply by Danny_FL on 12/11/05 2:11pm
Msg #81861

Personally, I would clear it with the BO and the LO/TC first. If they are fine with it then there is no reason that I am aware of that you can not do this. Ask first, all they can say is no.

Danny

Reply by Anonymous on 12/11/05 2:54pm
Msg #81863

Re: Mentoring -- Betsy

I say the same things only in one word and I'm called down for it. Why don't you just answer how you see fit and I'll do the same. And if that's not to your liking that's just too bad. Just because I post anonymous does not give you the right to trash me.

Reply by PartikgirlNJ on 12/11/05 3:48pm
Msg #81864

Re: Mentoring -- Betsy

Thank you everyone, I will ask the SS or TA I work with, if they say no then no it is. Personnaly I did not think it could be done but no harm in checking.

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 12/11/05 4:00pm
Msg #81866

I have done this lots of times in New Jersey. I ALWAYS clear it with the borrower first... if they are alright with it, then it's fine.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 12/11/05 4:31pm
Msg #81867

I have a business partner and...

once per quarter she tags along with me and I do the same with her. We do this because we are each other's critic, this keeps us on our toes and keeps our presentations fresh and crisp. We all get lulled into boredom and sometimes lose sight of the most important issue, putting out clients at ease. I learn something new everytime we do this, sometimes a new pair of eyes is all we need to put the fire back into our bellies. Our borrowers have been wonderful with this as we explain it as a quality control review so they always feel that they are getting the best we can give.

Reply by TCMN on 12/11/05 4:41pm
Msg #81868

I recommend

notaries to network all the time and work together because this is just one of the positives that can come of it. Role playing is one of the most productive ways to improve and you will better yourself every time.

Good for you Sue (and your business partner) this IS where the industry is going, it's the next level.

Reply by Nate_MN on 12/11/05 9:22pm
Msg #81880

Re: I recommend

I have brought people I was training to closings many times, always made sure the borrower was confortable with it. When I think about it, I don't think I cleared those times with the Signing Service. I however will be training two or three new people here in the coming months and this time I have actually already precleared it with some Signing Services. Not so much to give them the opportunity to say no, but mostly to add these trainees counties to my service area for time being until they are up and ready to go on their own.

Reply by PartikgirlNJ on 12/12/05 6:02am
Msg #81896

I really want to thank eveyone for answering. It make me feel better knowing that there are others out there willing to add a well training notary to our community.

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/12/05 12:51pm
Msg #81952

Discover the Benefits of Serving As a Mentor

By Nevin Barich
[e-mail address]
National Notary Now #39 — November 2005

The benefits of becoming a mentor go far beyond the satisfaction that you are helping another person reach his or her career goals. Becoming a mentor also means that you'll learn from the person receiving your help, support and advice, while also boosting your own career.
There are many benefits in mentoring a co-worker. One is that you can help each other contribute more to the company or organization by sharing knowledge and skills. Mentors can help prevent potentially embarrassing situations by sharing experiences from years of dealing with the office culture and politics. For example, a dispute with a co-worker over a notarization question might be resolved by seeking the knowledge of a mentor who has dealt with a similar situation.

Notaries at the beginning of their careers can benefit from receiving advice and guidance from someone who has years of experience as a Notary Public.

The workplace is the most common venue for mentoring. Other places to find mentoring are educational institutions and professional organizations. Online message boards also offer mentoring opportunities in many career fields. When you are ready to take up the challenge of mentorship, post a message on an online board. You'll be surprised by how many people will eagerly answer.

Once you have found someone to mentor, you can begin imparting your wisdom and experience. You must understand the needs of the person you are mentoring. For example, is your protégé considering becoming a Notary Signing Agent and has this person come to you to learn more about the field? If so, one way to help would be to have the individual accompany you to a signing to see exactly what the job entails.

There are certain things all mentors should avoid:

Don't pretend to have all the answers. Though you may have years of experience, remember that one can always benefit from putting aside the "teacher within" and learning yourself. Be sure you back up your information with solid reference materials.

Be honest. Don't be afraid to share your mistakes. Be open about your past experiences and convey real-world wisdom whenever possible.

The benefits of being a mentor are numerous. By mentoring, important career connections can develop for both parties. Mentors should attend as many professional functions, meetings, conferences and various other opportunities as possible to maximize networking and career opportunities. Building a reputation as a mentor can also be beneficial when seeking to boost your career. Mentors can list their experiences as a teacher on résumés sent to potential employers

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.