Notary Rotary
NC notaries??
Notary Discussion History

NC notaries??
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Judy on 12/16/05 12:38pm
Msg #83042

NC notaries??

Recent news about the new laws for NC notaries? I was told we will only be able to charge a $5. fee and will get really limited on being able to do signings. Also, we may not be able to charge travel fees for signings anymore. Can anyone comment?

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/16/05 2:06pm
Msg #83053

In Texas this is what our law states:

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
1-1 AN ACT
1-2 relating to fees charged by a notary public.
1-3 BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
1-4 SECTION 1. Section 406.024, Government Code, is amended by
1-5 adding Subsection (c) to read as follows:
1-6 (c) A notary public may not add any additional costs to the
1-7 fees authorized by Subsection (a) for travel expenses or any other
1-8 incidental expenses associated with the services for which the
1-9 notary public may charge the authorized fee.
1-10 SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
1-11 a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
1-12 provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
1-13 Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
1-14 Act takes effect September 1, 2001.

So to be sure I was doing the right thing, I emailed the SOS about this issue and they responded with the following:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Charges for travel by a Notary are not specified by law. Such fees are allowed only if the Notary and signer agree beforehand on the amount charged. The signer must understand that a travel fee is not stipulated in law and is therefore separate from the notarial fees. There is no limit on travel fees by either a regular Notary or a Notary Signing Agent. You can negotiate for any travel fees incurred regardless of your being a Certified Notary Signing Agent or not."

My suggestion to you would be to contact your Secretary of State and see their take on it. Good luck and Happy Holidays!!!

Reply by JessNC on 12/16/05 7:57pm
Msg #83099

So far, from what I have read and understood (on Sec Of State site mostly), a lot of the new laws pertain to "e-notarizations", which I am just not all that familiar with. I wanted to go to a class to find out more about this...the NNA was advertising some classes and I thought about doing the online course to find out more... but have you heard anything else about general notarization pertaining to us as NSA's? I will post any info I learn...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.