Notary Discussion History

New Acknowledgement Requirement for 2006 - California
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 12/9/05 8:41pm
Msg #81568

New Acknowledgement Requirement for 2006 - California

Notary Public
New Acknowledgment Requirement for 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assembly Bill 361 (Statutes of 2005, Chapter 295) was signed into law and makes several significant changes in current notarial law, including the amendment of Civil Code section 1189 as described below.

Effective January 1, 2006, the California certificate of acknowledgment must be in the exact form set forth in Civil Code section 1189, rather than "substantially" in the form set forth therein. The form set forth in Civil Code section 1189 did not change, but variations in the California form are no longer permitted. (The law regarding acknowledgments to be used with documents to be filed in other states has not changed (Civil Code § 1189(c)).

The new acknowledgment form is available in PDF file format and can be viewed, filled in and printed from your computer.

State of California
County of _________

On __________ before me, (here insert name and title of the officer), personally appeared___________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ personally known to me (or proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence) to be the person(s) whose name(s) is/are subscribed to the within instrument and acknowledged to me that he/she/they executed the same in his/her/their authorized capacity(ies), and that by his/her/their signature(s) on the instrument the person(s), or the entity upon behalf of which the person(s) acted, executed the instrument.
WITNESS my hand and official seal.
Signature __________________________________ (Seal)

Reply by SSEmobile on 12/9/05 8:54pm
Msg #81573

When posting new "official "material in a public forum it's always a good idea to give credit to the source.

Would you, please?

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/9/05 9:00pm
Msg #81576

Sorry about the anon post. I hit post before I realized it was on anon.

The source is the Ca. SOS website : http://www.ss.ca.gov/business/notary/notary_ack_06.htm

Reply by SSEmobile on 12/10/05 2:41pm
Msg #81711

No worries Brad! Thanks for the info and link. Good thing to save for sure!

Reply by SignerCA on 12/9/05 9:54pm
Msg #81581

What's new about it though...

This is the same verbage I have been using for all of 2005. I wasn't aware that there were other CA ack's around. Or is it now just official verbage? I thought in CA we were all using the same.

Reply by John_NorCal on 12/9/05 10:24pm
Msg #81588

Re: What's new about it though...

Harry has addressed this and is now offering the new acknowledgements in his supply link.

Reply by Calnotary on 12/10/05 4:50am
Msg #81611

This is the same verbage I been using the whole 2005, were there other one?
Since this is my very first year as notary I wanst aware of another one.

Reply by John_NorCal on 12/10/05 9:19am
Msg #81632

The SOS passed a law stating that the verbiage had to be exactly as they have outlined. Prior to this the verbiage could be "essentially" the same meaning there could be slight variations. Harry had to change his forms to take out somethings that were more than what the state wanted but nevertheless not exactly as the state wanted.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.