Notary Rotary
Newbies and taxes
Notary Discussion History

Newbies and taxes
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Art_MD on 12/13/05 11:28am
Msg #82182

Newbies and taxes

We are fast approaching tax prep time. Questions re: taxes, deductions, schedules, SE tax etc will start flying.

Please, do some research on this site. You will find most questions have been answered before. You will be referred to the irs.gov site for forms, info and directions.

If you get stuck, post a concise question and I'm sure your fellow NSA will give you the help you need.

Art

Reply by Beth/MD on 12/13/05 12:48pm
Msg #82208

Re: If only they'd take your advice...n/m

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/13/05 12:57pm
Msg #82214

Re: If only they'd take your advice...n/m

Art you are right doing a search brings up a lot of useful info on taxes. I am still learning as I go and sometimes just need a little clarification or the question I have has not been posted. I don't want to mess up when it comes tax time and have a huge problem. This board is great and there are alot of people here that give great advice.

Kudos to all of you that help us "newbies" out.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/13/05 2:00pm
Msg #82233

Re: A good CPA

I feel that a good CPA is worth their weight in gold -- whatever they charge, is worth every penny you pay them. Don't try to second guess whether you are claiming all deductions you are allowed, or even using the correct forms -- pay a professional.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/13/05 2:04pm
Msg #82236

We usually use H&R Block for our taxes and have never had a problem but that was before I started in this business.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/13/05 2:09pm
Msg #82239

Up until 1992 when I began my secretarial biz, I always figured our own taxes. However, there are so many hoops, loops and whistles in self-employment, that I began using the CPA in 1992. It's worth every penny I pay her to put her name on our return right along with our own.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/13/05 2:15pm
Msg #82242

I am looking into CPA's as we speak so I can see how much it is going to cost and what I need to do to get the ball rolling. Thanks!!!

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/13/05 2:19pm
Msg #82245

A CPA will also be able to set you up with a quarterly payment schedule for your SE taxes.

Reply by JM_NY on 12/13/05 10:59pm
Msg #82318

Better a good Enrolled Agent

They deal more with all kinds of taxes and are licenced by the federal gov't to practice in all states. A CPA can only practice in the state they are licensed in and usually deal mostly with corporate taxes.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.