Notary Rotary
Notary Stamp Seal
Notary Discussion History

Notary Stamp Seal
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Janel Nichols on 12/13/05 11:05pm
Msg #82320

Notary Stamp Seal

Has anyone ever had someone refuse to sign due to not having a Notary Embosser? I had one tonight that ultimately refused to sign once she saw the stamp instead of an embosser. The borrower said it wasn't a real notary stamp and she was not going to sign. All this after incorrect directions took Notary 1hour out of the way arrived late. Almost three hour drive as it was...Borrower extremely miffed over it. Told me on the phone Notary looked like he was "ON" Something because of being late. I explained to borrower that the drive was very very long and the directions took him off the beaten path. I am very sorry he was late, we as notaries take our business very seriously and we don't choose to conduct ourselves in a manner that would lend itself to what you are saying. She retorted back with. Well, good for your so called business.

Personally I was glad Notary did not hit a deer or get into an accident. But anyway, borrower said Notaries should only have embossers and did not believe the transaction was real because of notary stamp and refused to sign. Anyone else ever had this?

Reply by Blueink_CA on 12/13/05 11:26pm
Msg #82330

On a few occasions I have had this same request, usually from people that are from other countries. For this reason I carry an embosser along with my seal. It also comes in handy when attaching a loose certificate as it safeguards against later tampering with the notarized doc. (adding or changing pages).

Reply by Tina_MA on 12/14/05 2:07pm
Msg #82525

I use both a ink stamp and embosser.

I use the stamp under my signature to comply with printing my name and commission end date, and the embosser as my seal.

Most people ask me why I don't have a stamp for my signature too so that I don't have to keep writing it. Boy, don't I wish we could do that!

Reply by JO_PA on 12/13/05 11:34pm
Msg #82331

I always carry the little booklet that I received from the Dept. of State (PA) with my notary commission. It states in there the exact size of the stamp and states that it is a rubber stamp.
I've had to show it at a few closings, mostly older people who didn't realize that an embosser is no longer required.
I still carry an embosser but rarely use it on anything but loose certificates, and then, only when the person insists on it.

Reply by Janel Nichols on 12/13/05 11:40pm
Msg #82332

I will have to check. But I don't believe that WI has a little booklet. Will go to the website and check for WI. Thanks! Never had a problem with rubber stamp. New for me!

Reply by Beth/MD on 12/14/05 7:22am
Msg #82349

Only one time was this a question for me and when I explained that the embosser's print doesn't xerox well (made a joke of it), there wasn't a problem with the stamp.

Reply by thnotary_NY on 12/14/05 7:35am
Msg #82354

Shouldn't you be " Sealing" AFTER they sign.?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/14/05 10:37am
Msg #82436

She didn't say the notary stamped the document, only that the borrower noticed the stamp and not an embosser.

I've had people comment about using a stamp instead of an embosser when I pull out all the paraphernalia and place it on the table. FL mandates the use of a rubber stamp as the only 'official' seal for a notary. The embosser can used in conjunction with the stamp, but in place of it.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 12/14/05 8:26am
Msg #82363

WI States very clearly that the stamp is allowable. You do have to send them a copy of it as well as your embosser so they have it on record. They have a nice little booklet that I carry in my breifcase or you can down load it from their site.

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/14/05 7:49am
Msg #82356

Maybe she was from Alabama. We can only notarize with the old get some hand muscles embosser. I know firsthand about going off the beaten path, It is not fun.

Reply by Mitch_MD on 12/14/05 9:14am
Msg #82385

I use both

I use both the rubber stamp and the embosser on every single notarization. If there is not room for both, I attach a loose certificate where I can apply them together.

I had a couple veteran SAs tell me that was the best route to go and that it will deliver really good results with all the parties involved, including the recording office. I haven't ever had a doc come back due to a missed notarization, nor a borrower refuse to sign and I've received a lot of atta-boys from title and lending companies.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.