Notary Rotary
Notary (not a signing agent) story - a little long
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Mike_IA on 12/28/05 8:11pm
Msg #84934

Being on several web sites I sometimes get calls from people searching the internet for a notary to notarize a motorcycle title, wedding license application, hand written will or some dubious form. I usually politely suggest to these people it would be more convenient if they just went to their bank, The UPS Store, or Mailboxes, etc. An amazing number of people do not know that banks have notaries. While you might consider this turning away business I usually find these people are late for the appointment or don't show up at all which throws my closing schedule off. Recently I got a phone call from people driving on the interstate highway and needing several documents notarized. I made my usual suggestions on where to go. They called back later because by the time they would get into town every place I suggested would be closed. The non-custodial parent was driving from New Mexico to meet the Iowa custodial parent and take three minor children to New Mexico for a short holiday visit. The noncustodial parent had medical authorizations, permission to take the children out of the state of Iowa and several other forms which the non-custodial parent wanted the custodial parent to sign. They were going to meet at a public place, instead of the custodial parent's house, at 11:00 PM. I offered to do it for free (pro bono publico) if they met at a restaurant near me and both parents agreed to three conditions. 1. The custodial parent must bring a state driver's license or U.S. passport and forgetting to bring ID was not acceptable. 2. Before I arrived the custodial parent was to read all the documents. Any discussions about the documents between the two parents was to be finished before I arrived. 3. I am a notary and I would only be notarizing the documents. Because I am not a lawyer, I would not answer any questions about the meaning, effect or implications of the documents. The noncustodial parent never called back.

Reply by Blueink_CA on 12/28/05 8:45pm
Msg #84937

Hi Mike,

Maybe things are different in Iowa but in CA most banks only notarize bank docs. Also, why would you offer your professional services for free? As to your stipulations, yeah you were right. This party either was trying to pull a fast one or they'll call you in the a.m.

Reply by Mike_IA on 12/28/05 10:23pm
Msg #84957

Banks in Iowa will notarize documents other than bank documents. I'm a notary in order to do loan closings for personal financial gain but notaries are commissioned by the State to provide a service to the public. So like other professionals (lawyers, doctors, etc.) I sometimes offer my services for free - pro bono publico. This incident happened at Christmas a year ago so there won't be any calls in the morning.

Reply by Marie_MD on 12/29/05 1:07am
Msg #84974

Thanks Mike I do pro bono at times too. You have to have a heart sometimes. Banks here also notarize anything.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.