Notary Rotary
OT - Christmas tree lights
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 12/6/05 2:21pm
Msg #80653

Why is it that the lights work perfectly when testing and before putting on the tree, but once the lights and decorations are complete you end up with a light here and a light there on each light strand that has either decided to burn out, or just decided that they are going to be PITAs? Oh, and then none of the umpteen million *extra* bulbs will work in *ANY* of the sockets because they all have the wrong size or shape of connector that fits in the socket. And if that's all not bad enough, now the tree-top Angel has decided to grace the tree in darkness. I mean she's only 60+ years old -- it's not like she has thousands of light hours on her bulb. i haven't even checked to see what type of bulb she uses.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 12/6/05 2:27pm
Msg #80654

*****Merry Christmas*****

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/6/05 2:29pm
Msg #80655

All I can say is that I tell myself I'm glad this fiasco happens once a year!
Last year after twining 8 hundred white lights into my tree, the bottom half decided to quit. It only takes me about 4 hours to get them undone and back in. I'd love to see that 60 yr old angel! I have a newer one, it's all done Victorian and crystal.
It's a job, but gorgeous when done, the kids walk around to see it twinkle like Bambi in headlights Smiley

Reply by Ilona_OH on 12/6/05 2:37pm
Msg #80661

HO-HO-Ho

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 12/6/05 2:50pm
Msg #80670

You thinkyou're having a bad day? Read onSmiley

When four of Santa's elves got sick, and the trainee elves did not
produce the toys as fast as the regular ones, Santa was beginning to feel the pressure of being behind schedule. Then Mrs. Claus told Santa that her Mom was coming to visit. This stressed Santa even more.
When he went to harness the reindeer, he found that three of them were about to give
birth and two had jumped the fence and were out, heaven knows where. More stress. Then when he began to load the sleigh one of the boards cracked, and the toy bag fell to the ground and scattered the toys. So frustrated was Santa, he went into the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum.
When he went to the cupboard, he discovered that the elves had hidden the liquor, and there was nothing to drink. In his frustration, he
accidentally dropped the cider pot, and it broke
into hundreds of little pieces all over the kitchen
floor. He went to get the broom and found that
mice had eaten the straw end of the broom. Just
then the doorbell rang, and irritable Santa trudged to the door. He opened the door, and there was a little angel with a great big Christmas tree.
The angel said, very cheerfully, "Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn't it a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?" And so began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree. Merry Christmas

Reply by AnnaCA on 12/6/05 2:54pm
Msg #80674

LMAO! I love this board.

Reply by BP/WV on 12/6/05 3:41pm
Msg #80693

LOL - and my 14 year old asked me the other day why people put angels on tree tops....boy, was my answer wrong!

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/6/05 4:24pm
Msg #80714

Thanks Sylvia. I had heard the story quite some time ago and had forgotten all about it.

Reply by christiSocal on 12/6/05 2:55pm
Msg #80675

I don't know which is worse

shopping or putting up christmas lights! We're doing the lights right now too. I'm ready to scream. My daughter and my grandkids love them, I'm turning into scrooge. I'd ALMOST take a cheap signing just to have a good reason to get away! The one nice thing, sorry Carolyn, it's 70degrees here so it is nice to be outside Smiley

Reply by newlysmomva on 12/6/05 3:07pm
Msg #80681

Re: 60 year old angel

Is she kinda made of plastic with clear wings and blonde hair? I have one my parents had when they first got married in the '40's. She takes a night light bulb.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/6/05 4:15pm
Msg #80709

Re: 60 year old angel

No she's made of china and has angel hair wings. I don't know what the angel hair actually is, its what Mom always called it -- it cuts you just like glass if you touch it, so thankfully I got her working again without having to mess with her too much.

Reply by newlysmomva on 12/7/05 8:19am
Msg #80838

Re: 60 year old angel-angel hair

Its fiberglass! I can answer that one. They used to sell it to put on your tree.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/6/05 4:12pm
Msg #80708

Re: I don't know which is worse

Don't be sorry Christi. I actually love the snow. I could do without some of the people who have never driven in snow before though. I think it should be state law that newcomers be required to take snow drivers ed.

Good news is that I did get my Angel to glow again. Apparently while fiddle farting around with the other lights, I must have bumped her and her connection got loose.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/6/05 4:22pm
Msg #80713

My mom has a beautiful angel she puts on the tree that her mom (my grandmother) made her. The dress the angel is wearing is made out of a piece of my moms wedding dress. She puts it on the tree last.

As for driving in the snow, tomorrow, North TX is supposed to be getting some snow. Yes, you read correctly. The Dallas area will be getting snow. (Supposedly) I am going to try and stay home. People here really can't drive when it snows...and of course, the city doesn't have the type of support to fix slippery road conditions since we see snow maybe once a year. Therefore, no plows.

Do you guys in CO plug your cars in at night? People in TX think I am lying when I say they do it in the North East.

Everyone stay warm and drive safe!!!

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/6/05 4:25pm
Msg #80716

This town stops dead when we ice over. No one knows how to drive on it, business's shut down for the morning or until the sun melts the thin layers. You cannot drive on this terrain with any type of vehicle. 9-5'rs and school kids love that, they don't even bother to call in.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/6/05 4:27pm
Msg #80717

Same here! The Telecom co. I work for just emailed us out a weather hotline no. to call in the morning.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/6/05 4:33pm
Msg #80721

We know a few people with diesel trucks and they plug them in at night. We ordered the plug-in option on my Blazer, but I've never used it. Maybe when it gets older, that will change.

Our mail was just delivered, and it is actually frozen stiff.

I have three signings for tomorrow, so like Bonnie, I have to pack the Blazer with extra clothes, blankets, shovel, etc.

Reply by BP/WV on 12/6/05 7:26pm
Msg #80768

{Do you guys in CO plug your cars in at night? People in TX think I am lying when I say they do it in the North East}

Im lost... why , where and how would you plug in your car? I know one thing for certain, no one does it in my neck of the woods.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/6/05 7:49pm
Msg #80775

You run a plug-in from out the grill and plug in an extension cord to an outlet. I think it connects somehow to the battery, but it isn't a trickle charger. My mom did it with her Ford LTD station wagon. It's comical...and handy.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/6/05 8:44pm
Msg #80781

The "plug" is a little heating coil that is attached to the engine block by replacing one of the "freeze plugs". Then when it is plugged into an outlet, keeps the engine coolant from freezing and thus keeps the engine warm (relatively speaking).

There are also battery warming pads which you place under the battery to keep it from freezing or gelling.

Trickle charges also may help, but a fully charged battery in good shape should make it through the coldest nights without any problem.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/6/05 8:23pm
Msg #80777

>>> Do you guys in CO plug your cars in at night? People in TX think I am lying when I say they do it in the North East. <<<

No, you're not lying. However, I spent 23 long, cold, miserable winters in New Hampshire and never "plugged" my cars. However, friends of mine that lived a bit further north (Canada), did plug theirs and when I was in the upper mid-West (Minnesota and Montana), there were lots of cars with plugs.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I never had a problem starting my cars or trucks in the morning either. Winter oil, a good battery and keeping the engine tuned are the secret.

Reply by NM_CO on 12/6/05 6:05pm
Msg #80740

I've lived here pretty much all of my life except a few years down in Austin and I'm stiiilllll one of those idiots who cannot drive in the snow! I need lessons! That's why I don't leave. I can't, I'd get into a wreck with myself right after I leave my driveway. I had to give away two of my closings for tomorrow because I'm too wimpy to go out if there is snow/ice on the road.

I get irritated by Colorado drivers when it's dry outside, does anyone here know the meaning of merge?

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/6/05 6:25pm
Msg #80741

That's the problem -- Native Colorado drivers do know -- it's the implants that don't. You can always tell a native because they will wave a thank you.

Reply by NM_CO on 12/6/05 6:29pm
Msg #80742

lol, very true. I'm a native though and I still suck in the snow. I can barely walk in the stuff. I just went out to get the mail and about fell on my you know what!

That is SO true about the wave. I do it and often I get an odd look.

Reply by christiSocal on 12/6/05 10:51pm
Msg #80812

I wave to people who let me merge all the time, must be the Oklahoma side of my family. Of course here in calif people do kind of duck, till their sure I don't have a gun in my waving hand ;)

Reply by newlysmomva on 12/7/05 8:24am
Msg #80842

Re: Implants-I love it.

I've always heard them called come-heres. I like implants. We have a lot of them from New Jersey and New York in Virginia.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.