Notary Rotary
Question on Meeting locations with clients
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by zarrb4CA on 12/30/05 10:57pm
Msg #85390

I will be just beginning my signing business this new year. I am a little nervous about going to people's homes on the off chance they may not be the greatest/safest of clients. (I have read a few horror stories on here in the past about meeting with some scary situations) My question is, do any of you tell the SA or title companies that you only meet in public locations? Or do you think you would lose all business because of this?

Also, how many of you have had bad experiences with going to people's homes?

I know I may be overthinking the whole thing, but any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Reply by Roger_OH on 12/30/05 11:07pm
Msg #85392

As noted in a thread below, your safety is paramount, and if in doubt, suggest an alternative location. Part of the service we provide as MOBILE notaries is to come to the location that is convenient to the borrowers, most often their home. You go where the business is.

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 12/30/05 11:21pm
Msg #85396

Anytime I go out my husband has me leave the bo's name address and phone number on the kitchen counter. I also let him know the aprox. time I should be back.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/30/05 11:30pm
Msg #85398

I'd never take a husband into a bad neighborhood!

On occasion I take a male friend, but it's heck to protect them. They always get mad when I fling them behind a garbage can and say "STAY DOWN!!"

SERIOUSLY -
If the idea of going into a tough neighborhood makes you feel uneasy, you might hate this. I have only been in one high speed chase trajectory and in one appointment that made me uneasy. And, it was in a $200,000 house in the burbs.

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/30/05 11:36pm
Msg #85401

If you're not comfortable going to the homes of strangers, this definitely isn't the career choice for you. If you tell companies that you'll only meet in public locations then they'll just find someone who is willing to go to the borrower's house.

The whole point of this service is convenience for the borrowers; making them drive to meet you isn't very convenient for them.

Unless you can get over your nervousness, you might as well cut your losses right now because you are guaranteed to fail as a signing agent that way.

Reply by Leslie_Mo on 12/31/05 12:15am
Msg #85412

One thing that may help you get over being nervous about going into a borrower's home is the fact that they want their loan and for the most part are glad to see you.

Secondly, knowing the area that you plan to service is also very helpful. If there are some parts of the city or area that you know or think might be dangerous either turn down the signing or ask if there is a mutually convenient place to meet the borrower. I've only done that a couple of times and it was a combination of "bad" neighborhood and late evening appointment. The ss understood and said it was ok and let the borrower & I find a public place to sign.

So far I haven't really had any bad/scary experiences going into borrowers home other than filthy houses or overly friendly pets.

Hope this helps.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/31/05 12:19am
Msg #85415

It would be a little easier for me to evaluate scary or bad neighborhoods without knowing what you consider scary or bad. Knowing what zip code you will be working in would help. The bottom line is you can have problems in any neighborhood, not just the ones that scare you because of their looks. Take some time and go to your local Police dept and ask what the crime rates are for the different neighborhoods. You may be surprised to find out that the highest crime rates are frequently in more affluent neighborhoods .. because that is where the money and nice things are percieved to be. My ex wife is a police dispatcher and through this, I lost a lot of my pre-concieved notions. I have taken a few re-fi's a few miles out of my area because the local notaries won't go into some areas in San Bernardino or Fontana. Never had a problem. But you should always be aware of what is around you and if you don't feel safe ... ABORT.
A couple of things to try when you are first getting started.

Try to make all your own apointments and schedule them in the daylight if possible (I love Summer)
Know exactly where you are going. If you are unfamiliar with a neighborhood, then if you have time and it is close by, try do make a dry run to the home so you know exactly where you are going. GPS systems and Mapquest sometimes give wrong directions.
Tell the client what kind of vehicle you are driving so they can look out for you. They want to get the loan signed and safely off, so they don't want anything to happen to you.
If you don't quiet feel safe, then when you get to the house, call the borrowor and tell them you are on their street but you can't quite make out the addresses and ask them which house is theirs. Most of the time, they will come to the door and watch for you.
Carry a big metal flashlight, preferably a 4 d-cell Mag-light to shine on the addresses.
Have 911 ready to dial in case you see anything going down. If you don't feel safe, don't get out of the vehicle, abort the signing and call the person who hired you and arrange for a meeting in an alternate daytime location. Your safety is your #1 concern.

Y

Reply by Beth/MD on 12/31/05 7:12am
Msg #85431

As Cali stated, if you're worried about going to a borrower's home, this isn't the line of work for you. I've been doing this almost 4 years in 2 different states and I've never had a "dangerous" situation. I have had some weird and funny ones, but never a dangerous one. I know that some have felt uncomfortable in a particular situation, but I think that's the exception instead of the rule. Btw --> I, too, leave my information on a special email account, so my husband or two of my sisters-in-law can just call it up and "find me." I never turn off my cell either.
Unlike Brenda, I've never taken a man or a husband into a bad neighborhood!!! Smiley

Reply by hcampersFL on 12/31/05 8:42am
Msg #85441

Good advice Glenn.
I think if you haven't been in a scary situation then you don't know that feeling. I have been and it sucks.
I've never had a problem going into strangers homes for my work, I too feel that the BR's want me there to take care of them and there business. I have been treated with respect.
B.

Reply by cyndi_ca on 12/31/05 10:04am
Msg #85461

I have never taken anyone either. I just call my hubby when I get there and call when I am done and in the car. I also leave numbers and addresses. hope that helps.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/31/05 11:38am
Msg #85477

I've been in scary situations, but not doing this.

6 yrs Army during Vietnam, 38 years in retail being involved in armed robberies too many times to count. It is always in the back of my mind that I may have used up my reserve of good luck, so I am always wary of my surroundings. This is a supplement to my income until I am old enough to collect Social Security (if it is still there, but that is another discussion).
According to crime stats in the general area that I work in, most muggings and assults take place in multi family dwellings like apartments, tri-plexes and areas zoned for such. Retail shopping centers such as the big malls and strip malls, parking lots of big box centers are also high on the list.
As notaries, we usually don't work in those areas, even in so called lower income single family neighborhoods, there may be violence but it is usually personal between neighbors or the number one situation in single family neighborhoods, spousal abuse.
Even in tough neighborhoods, I have been treated well by the borrowors. They want the loan to fund and will make sure you get in and out safe.
I do have to aggree with some of the other posters when they say if you are timid, then this may not be the profession for you.

Reply by patricia on 1/2/06 6:28pm
Msg #85673

Re: I've been in scary situations, but not doing this.

I have never had any trouble in the so called "bad neighborhoods" and personally do feel that
it would be discrimination not to be willing to provide service in these areas. At least as a
realtor we cannot provide service in one area but but refuse another, this situation does not
seem too much different.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/2/06 7:30pm
Msg #85679

Bad Neighborhoods cont'd

**At least as a realtor we cannot provide service in one area but but refuse another, this situation does not seem too much different.**

This is an interesting thought.

I have not discriminated against a neighborhood and cannot imagine doing so. But, in analyzing this situation my draw inspection jobs come to mind.

I currently reject certain very wooded and rural areas for draw inspections because they are too isolated and I feel uneasy. Sometimes the work crew is not exactly polite...sometimes there is no work crew but there are very strange people cruising by the deserted area on foot, in cars, on bicycles...once they are there anything can happen and I choose not to carry a concealed handgun under my jacket to feel safe just so I can take a few pictures and submit a report on the status of the electrical work and whether or not the plumbing is installed.

Besides, if it is the rainy season I can forget it because my car is not 4WD and the sites can be very muddy.

I have rejected these assignments and referred them to a male inspector who is equipped and better suited.

Therefore, I choose not to go to rural areas to do draw inspections. Isn't that the same thing? Are we placing too much importance on our signing agent positions to think we absolutely must never say no based on location?

I think common sense should prevail.

Reply by patricia on 1/2/06 7:51pm
Msg #85682

Re: Bad Neighborhoods cont'd

well I decline many after 6:00pm appts. in areas where parking is a big problem, I dont want
to be getting tickets for illegal parking so often decline appts. in the very densely populated
areas, if someone else wants them great. However, in the low income, high crime areas
I have never had any problem and the people have always been very nice. cant think of any reason to reject them, but I know many others do.I also dont go to the mountain areas that
are hard to find my way around in at night and they also fog in, I feel they can get someone already living in the area.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.