Notary Rotary
Quick Question Just want opinion...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by srnotary_CA on 12/8/05 11:46am
Msg #81152

I did a signing for a company where the borrower cancelled after an hour of being at the table. Should I charge the full agreed upon fee (I did not have to print docs) or should I just charge a trip fee? TIA

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/8/05 11:53am
Msg #81156

I'm sure there are those who will argue that you should

just take whatever is given. But if notaries are ever to be considered as anything more than a commodity of go-fors you should get your full fee. Right now there are a lot of NSA's who will be struggling to stay afloat because in many areas there are altogether too many notaries to support them all. I don't understand the "trip fee" what is the difference between your effort to arrive at a destination, go through an explanation of some of the docs and then a return to your base of operations and a full sighing?

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/8/05 11:55am
Msg #81158

Re: I'm sure there are those who will argue that you should

Thanks Charles wasn't sure about that. I have been leaning toward full fee because I had been there for so long. I iwill charge them the full fee and hopefully will get it.

Reply by Roger_OH on 12/8/05 11:57am
Msg #81160

Depend upon what your arrangement is with the company. Some will only pay a trip fee for no-shows and no-signs. I was just wondering why it took them an hour to not sign? If you present the "numbers" docs (HUD, Note, TIL) right up front, any problems should be quickly apparent. You should also emphasize their ability to utilize the RTC days to contact their LO
and iron out any issues during the rescission period, and then they can cancel if they're not happy with the terms. Granted, even this sometimes is to no avail, and they spend an hour on the phone while you're there.

A signing is like a first date; you pretty much know how it's going to go in the first ten minutes. Smiley

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/8/05 12:01pm
Msg #81162

I gave them the docs only one person spoke English ( the wife who was not signing) and The husband went through and signed every page before I could tell them anything. THe wife then took the docs and saw the payment and freaked. The mother in law was supposed to sign to. I explained to them the right to cancel and we did try contacting the Lender but was not able to get ahold of him. I tried the numbers I had been given as well.

I figured since the husband was signing they were ok with everything. The lender had said that they new the terms and were happy with them.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/8/05 12:18pm
Msg #81164

Sounds like this thing was bad from the begining. I charge the full fee in this situation although I don't always get it.

Funny thins is, though. I never seem to have this problem from my regulars as their LO's seem to have the loan pretty well explained. I only seem to have this issue from the companies that want to lo-ball my fees and seem disorganized when it comes to getting the docs to me.

Good Luck.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/8/05 12:21pm
Msg #81165

Thanks. This co did not try to lowball me and is a pleasure to work with so hopefully it will be ok. Have a great day!!!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/8/05 12:28pm
Msg #81166

I think you nailed it Glenn

It has been my experience that when you get a lo-ball SS with unreasonable demands that the the whole deal is questionable. It seems that LOs who push the envelope also deal with TC's who are the lowest bidder and those in turn deal with SSs who are the lowest bidder and so it goes. It seem that for some as long as the fee is low no one in the chain cares about the quality of the deal from the borrowers perspective. I find that it pays to stick to my fees and reject unreasonable contract demands.

Reply by Giselle_CA on 12/8/05 2:28pm
Msg #81205

Re: I think you nailed it Glenn

I absolutely agree with Charles as that has been my experience also. It does pay to stay away from such as it only predicts trouble. Just to be paid a trip fee is not why you accept a signing for.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/8/05 12:33pm
Msg #81168

I have had 3 no signs this week, one I charged 1/2 fee, 3 hour round trip , the other two I am charging full fee as nothing was mentioned in confirmation about no sign.
On all 3 I explained the RTC (figures were way wrong).

I have decided I cannot take work anymore in which only a "trip fee" will be paid, especially out of my area. Tiime is money not to mention the other costs, I cannot gamble my time and hope for the best.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/8/05 12:47pm
Msg #81175

**I have decided I cannot take work anymore in which only a "trip fee" will be paid, especially out of my area. Tiime is money not to mention the other costs, I cannot gamble my time and hope for the best.**

Now you're thinking. I agree. However, if you work a lot for title you do forego a fee here and there.

Reply by Mdene_AZ on 12/8/05 12:50pm
Msg #81177

I charge full fee. My time and trouble of getting there is valuable.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/8/05 12:52pm
Msg #81178

**Now you're thinking. I agree. However, if you work a lot for title you do forego a fee here and there.**

I will have to agree, really depends on Company.
I am just having my 1st bad no sign and cancellation week.
One company only calls for out of area signings, far far away, this is the type I am speaking of, 2 no signs were for them.
Basically my fault, I do not like to go out of area and for some reason I feel bad and agree because the caller is in a bind.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/8/05 12:56pm
Msg #81180

**I feel bad and agree because the caller is in a bind.**

I hear you. I have to go now at 5:30. I need to clean the house - having company tomorrow and I need to finish an inspection upload. It is a resign with bwr who reads. Cannot blame her for that. 5:30 is ruining me here but I know there is not another person available for less than $300 today who can download docs and print before 6:30/7 pm. Not complaining except I was not planning on it and bad timing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.