Notary Rotary
Signs of the Season
Notary Discussion History

Signs of the Season
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by TLR_KY on 12/15/05 12:36pm
Msg #82778

Signs of the Season

Well folks. For those of you who may read some of my post you will know that sometimes I see things in a little different light. Today is one of those days. I was at a signing this morning at a business and had the pleasure to meet a young couple who were expecting. This made for a great conversation during the signing. We all were sitting in front of a big window talking about how hard it is to buy the perfect gift for our children and how the times have changed. As we discussed this and reflected on this major problem we look out the window and see an elderly man in very old clothes pulling a cart behind him. It was about 20 degrees outside and his cart had a few items in it. The wife stated this man was homeless and walked all over town going through dumpsters. She mentioned that a couple of businesses in town had been calling the police to get him to stop hanging around their shops. It was that moment that all of us realized that we had been stressing over something so stupid such as the trouble of finding a perfect kids gift when we should just be instilling the importance of season. We all looked at each other and the lady said that she was going to be right back. Me and her husband knew that she was going to go and give the man some money. I didn't hesitate to give her all I had in my wallet. Now don't get me wrong, I believe that sometimes we give just to make ourselves feel better. I didn't feel that way today. We are so lucky people. Give all you can to those guys and gals ringing a bell outside in the cold. They do ask for a certain amount. Be giving in all you can and love one another. Go home and watch "It's a Wonderful Life". I needed a kick today and I got it. I wish all your families a wonderful holiday season.

Tracy

Reply by ColleenCA on 12/15/05 12:43pm
Msg #82779

Yup, and try to hold it in your heart not just during the holiday season, but all year long!

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/15/05 12:47pm
Msg #82780

The shelter is in downtown Denver and there are many homeless people roaming the streets year round. Many years ago I was eating my lunch at Wendys or Burger King or one of the hamburger joints when I watched an elderly and homeless man sitting at the table across from me. He had several cups of water lined up in front of him -- he was filling them with packets of sugar and cream -- these were his meal. After finishing my own meal, I crossed the room and gave him a $5.00 bill so he could buy himself a hamburger. Upon telling my story, many people, including my husband, told me that the money would be spent on cheap wine or other cheap spirits and that if I wanted to do something for him, to buy the hamburger and whatever else myself and then give the food to him.

From that day forward, I've purchased and handed many cups of hot coffee and meals to the homeless in lieu of giving them money -- knowing for sure they will be fed.

Reply by Deb_CO on 12/15/05 2:37pm
Msg #82810

I do the same, Carolyn, and usually when I'm out driving to closings, I have stuff with me (granola bars, bottle water, etc) and hand these to those folks you see at the stoplights. They need food and shelter more than anything. Although, in SF I did see a guy with a sign that said 'Why Lie, I Want a Beer/' It was creative enough, so I gave him a buck...way back when I was young and naive Smiley

Reply by JO_PA on 12/15/05 2:47pm
Msg #82814

I had a similar experience just yesterday. I was on my way home from a signing and stopped in a local convenience store for some coffee. There was a very elderly lady in line in front of me and she appeared to be a little down on her luck. She was trying to buy a cup of cocoa with small change, slowly counting out each coin. I motioned to the manager that I would pay for the cocoa and reached for a pack of crackers to add to that. She was so sweet and told me that it was nice to see younger people(?-I'm at least 50) with the Christmas spirit and thanked me several times. After she left, the manager told me she came into the store once or twice a week with change. He said if she didn't have enough, he gave her the drink for the amount she had. He also told me that his wife had given the woman several peices of clothing including the coat she was wearing. He said he wasn't sure where she lived or if she had any family, but that he was going to bring her a plate of leftovers from Christmas dinner when the store open the next day.
This has kept me smiling ever since.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.