Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Since we're taling taxes and IRS already....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Anne/IL on 12/6/05 10:43am
Msg #80583

It's my first year at this and I was wondering if anyone had any points about how and what to file, etc. I do have a CPA who look over my taxes but I always do my own reports first because I like to understand what I'm paying, what I'm deducting and the hows and whys.

TIA

Reply by Anne/IL on 12/6/05 10:43am
Msg #80584

that's TALKING...sorry! N/M

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 12/6/05 10:52am
Msg #80585

PAW/FL can probably help you out more than anyone, but remember that actual Notary fees are exempt from self employment tax, and the mileage deduction this year has a bump up for the last quarter due to higher gas prices.

Reply by NM_CO on 12/6/05 11:06am
Msg #80587

Gotta love that exemption!!

Reply by rlogan_ca on 12/6/05 11:14am
Msg #80588

Re: Speaking of deductions...

I just heard this morning that mileage deduction rates will be reduced come Jan. because gas prices have gone down.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/6/05 12:02pm
Msg #80600

See Msg #79984

for details on the allowable mileage expense deduction.

Reply by B__CA on 12/6/05 11:46am
Msg #80594

Re: IRS 533

You might want to read this

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p533.pdf

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 12/6/05 12:42pm
Msg #80612

Exactly....page 6 explains Notary fee exemption.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/6/05 12:48pm
Msg #80616

Ok so what is allowable after the allowable income for notarizations. I am so confused now. LOL

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 12/6/05 1:07pm
Msg #80620

I can only speak to my own tax return. I keep a journal that lists the total fee charged for services and break it down to how many Notarizations done per package and list those fees separately. At year end, I supply my accountant with the $ amount of total income AND the total of that part of income attributable to Notary fees. In CA, I believe you can charge $10 per Notarization so....$150 fee on a package where you Notarized 4 times would be reported to your accountant as $150 total fee with only $110 being subject to SE tax. You also must report under the proper NAIC code for Notaries Public. Your accountant should know it. Be aware that this exemption is probably NOT available for your state taxes. Hope this helps.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/6/05 1:01pm
Msg #80618

Re: Since we're taling taxes and IRS already....Anne

I am not sure if this is accurate but my tax person told me that for the first year all of your expenses are 100% tax deductable and that if you are working out of your home that the utilities and part of your mortgage are tax deductable(sp) as well. Also that every year your expenses are 50% tax deductable (this is for CA but it is federal so I am assuming everywhere may be wrong.) She also told me that your cell phone is tax deductable as well if you use it for business. Hopefully this is accurate.

Reply by trose_OR on 12/6/05 1:45pm
Msg #80637

That is the information that I got from my mom who does the taxes for my dad's home business. He's a legal investigator and does a lot of his work the same way we do. She uses turbo tax and it calculates all the square footage and percentages. Anyone else have input on that? This is my first year as well, but mom has been my go-to person with tax questions.

Reply by Sandy_MD on 12/6/05 1:47pm
Msg #80639

All expense related to your notary work are 100% deductable all the time. Your house Mortgage, utilities, and phone are deductable up to the percentage that thye are used exclusivly for business purpose. If you use a room in your house just for business you can deduct the housing espenses and depreciate your house, but beware that when you sell the house you have to add the Depreciation back into your cost basis in figuring you tax expense on the gain for selling. Any machines you purchase for business purpose can be expensed 100% in the year they are purchased or depreciated over 5 to 7 years depending on the what was purchased.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/6/05 1:50pm
Msg #80641

Can dry-cleaning be deducted? Thanks for your help.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/6/05 1:53pm
Msg #80642

I was told that clothes you purchase specifically for work are deductable too. Not sure about dry cleaning though.

Reply by taxpro on 12/6/05 2:02pm
Msg #80647

Sorry, no go on street clothes

You cannot deduct your clothing or cleaning it, unless it is a specialty uniform that is not suitable for everyday street wear. An example would be a nurse's or a policeman's uniform. A business suit is not deductible, even though that's the only reason you bought it. In fact, there was a case where a painter deducted his white painter's overalls, and it was disallowed. They said it can be worn as everyday clothes. He asked how could he wear them as everyday clothes when they have paint all over them? It didn't matter, he lost. That's the standard. Now, if you had shirts made with your business logo on them, and you always wear that to closings, that might fly, but I wouldn't guarantee it would hold up in audit.

Reply by Paul_IL on 12/6/05 3:42pm
Msg #80694

Business Logo Wear IS deductible!!!

If you put your company name and logo on your shirts they become deductible and it will stand up to an audit

Reply by Sandy_MD on 12/6/05 1:53pm
Msg #80643

only if you have a unifor with a company logo otherwise it is a part of regular clothes which can not be deducted

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/6/05 1:57pm
Msg #80646

Thank you. My dry-cleaning bill is higher since I started the business so I thought I would check and see. As for deducting a home office, make sure everyone does a lot of research before they do it. If you want to sell your home in the near future, it may not be a good idea for you. I would recommend asking any of your firends if they do it and ask them what they think.

Reply by taxpro on 12/6/05 2:06pm
Msg #80649

Please don't ask your friends. Ask a CPA or enrolled agent, or at least a tax preparer with experience. I can't tell you how many times my tax clients tell me "but my brother-in-law said this is deductible", or "my hairdresser told me I don't have to claim that income". Tell you what, I promise not to cut hair if you'll promise not to give tax advice.

Reply by taxpro on 12/6/05 1:47pm
Msg #80638

Basics of taxes for notaries

If you're a sole proprietor (not a corporation or partnership), you report your income and expenses on Schedule C. Keep a list of your notarization fees and signing fees separately, because the notarization fees are exempt from Self-Employment tax (Social Security). They are not exempt from Federal or State Income Tax, just from Self-Employment Tax. You only pay tax on the net income, after expenses are deducted. You can deduct anything you purchase or use in your business. Cell phone, business phone, pager, supplies, paper, toner, business cards, advertising, membership fees (to be listed on NotRot or other sites), notary bond, stamp, E&O insurance, auto expenses, etc. The biggest one for us is mileage. Keep a mileage log in your car and log miles to do closings, drop Fedex packages, pick up supplies at Office Depot, etc. From Jan 1 2005 through Sept 30 2005, the rate is 40.5 cents per mile, and from Oct 1 thru Dec 31, it's 48.5 cents per mile. (BTW, it's going back down to 44.5 cents on Jan 1, 2006). You may use your actual auto expenses instead, if it's advantageous, but you still need to keep a mileage log, plus all your auto expense receipts. If you use the standard mileage rate, it includes all expenses for your auto except parking, tolls, interest (on your car loan), and personal property tax. You can deduct these things in addition to the standard mileage rate.
You must depreciate your equipment, such as your computer, printer, copier, office furniture, and fax machine. However, you may elect to expense them in the year you purchase them by taking the Section 179 election. Whether you expense them in the first year, or depreciate them over the statutory period, you use Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization. The total from this form carries to Schedule C, as an expense. The net income on Schedule C carries to the front of the 1040, and to the Schedule SE (Self-employment tax). On Schedule SE, you may make an adjustment for the notary fees that are exempt, and figure the SE tax on the rest. That carries to the back of the 1040. Also, 50% of the SE tax carries to the bottom part of the front of 1040 as an adjustment to income.
If you operate your business from your home, you may take an office-in-home deduction if you meet the qualifications. The main thing is that your office must be used exclusively as an office. You can take a percentage of your utilities, insurance, maintenance, repairs, interest and taxes. Also, if you own your home, you must take depreciation, so think about this and make sure it's worth it. When you sell your home, depreciation must be recaptured. Also, if you used your home for business within two years of the year your sell your home, the office portion of the house is a separate sale, a sale of business property, and will not fall under the Section 121 exclusion. In other words, any gain on that portion is taxable, and that's not what you bargained for when you heard about this great office-in-home deduction. But if you rent your home, you can just deduct a percentage of the rent instead of depreciating, and just walk away, free and clear. In that case, it's a no-brainer. It's something you should discuss with your tax person, because it should be decided on a case by case basis. Have Fun!

Reply by Anne/IL on 12/6/05 2:34pm
Msg #80658

Re: Basics of taxes for notaries

WOW thank you! Do I even need a CPA now???...LOL
You've been very helpful. Thanks again!

Reply by taxpro on 12/6/05 3:10pm
Msg #80683

Re: Basics of taxes for notaries

You're welcome, but YES, you probably need a CPA or an EA. This was just the most basic of the basics. The money and aggravation you save will be more than the cost.

Reply by newlysmomva on 12/6/05 3:10pm
Msg #80684

Re: tax time-I've got a headache already! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.