Notary Rotary
Sockpuppet definition
Notary Discussion History

Sockpuppet definition
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by eXpedN_TX on 12/12/05 3:48pm
Msg #82004

Sockpuppet definition

I know we had this conversation a little while ago, but I looked up more info. about it online. Thougt I would share:

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?SockPuppet

"A sock puppet is an additional OnlineIdentity used by someone who already has another OnlineIdentity for participating in a given community, particularly when done in a non-transparent manner and where the identities interact with each other in some way. The term originates with the metaphor of carrying on a conversation with oneself using a puppet in each hand. "

"Use of a SockPuppet is typically frowned on. The social convention against sock puppets arises from the RealWorld. We do not expect to discover that the guy who runs the coffee shop is also our neighbour, but with a fake moustache and beard. In most communities there is at least a social expectation, and sometimes a site policy, that each person will use only a single identity. Thus, use of sock puppets is a DeceptivePractice."

There is a lot more to read on the link...it's very interesting.

- Melissa

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.