Notary Rotary
To the computer wizards
Notary Discussion History

To the computer wizards
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by NM_CO on 12/6/05 11:20am
Msg #80589

To the computer wizards

I am doing a transfer from one computer (old) to the other (new) using a linking cable. When I use the file/transfer wizard from XP and I get to the point where it says "locating com ports and talking to the other computer" it just sits there for 5 minutes. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/6/05 12:06pm
Msg #80603

Two items: (1) are you using a SERIAL (aka COM) or PARALLEL port (parallel is much, much better); (2) are you using the proper cable? If you are using a serial (COM) port to serial (COM) port cable, it must act as a "null modem" in that two wires must be reversed (send - receive). If using a parallel cable (which will transfer at 10x the speed), a special cable must also be used that sets certain connection pins properly.

Reply by NM_CO on 12/6/05 1:05pm
Msg #80619

A com port, so I think. I'm using a cable I bought at Radio Shack for 45.00. It's a USB 2.0 Linking Cable it says "USB-A male connector on each end". For 45 bucks you'd think I wouldn't have to "think" how to do this. lol.

Reply by Nd_WA on 12/6/05 2:48pm
Msg #80668

(A com port) is computer talk meaning A Communication Port as PAW stated. By default the computer is set to look for a serial (COM) port. I've never done one but you probably can manually set to a parallel (LTP) port or may even USB.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 12/6/05 3:23pm
Msg #80687

Do you mean the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"? I looked at the "Select a transfer method" screen on this. The methods that are supported are (1) Direct Cable using serial ports, which are also called COM ports, (2) Home network or small office network, (3) Floppy drive or other removeable media, or (4) Other (a removeable hard drive, like a thumb drive.)

Notice that a USB cable is not listed. It might be possible to fake it out, but I don't know how. If the computers are anywhere near modern, they all have Ethernet connections, so I suggest setting up a home network and using that. It will be both faster and more flexible than a USB cable. You could take the USB cable back and get a "Serial PC to PC File Transfer Cable" (also known as a null modem cable), but I've always found serial connections to be tricky.

Once again, I suggest the home network, even if it only has two computers in the same room; it will be much more flexible in the future than any other option.

Reply by NM_CO on 12/6/05 3:27pm
Msg #80689

Thanks Gerry. I'll try the home networking. They are both fairly new, one about two weeks old and the other about 3 years old. Ugh, I hate doing this. lol.

Reply by SSEmobile on 12/6/05 3:56pm
Msg #80697

Did that USB "file transfer" cable have a CD with it?

If so, it contains the file transfer program.

Install it on both computers and use that program to transfer data.

The one I am familiar with does NOT work with XP's native app.

Reply by NM_CO on 12/6/05 4:03pm
Msg #80699

Yep it did. I installed on both systems. It works but then when it gets to that part where it's SUPPOSE to read the computers it locks up. I think I might have to try the serial thing like PAW said or the home thing too.

Maybe like you said, it's not compatible with XP even though the package says it is. It's all mumbled wording to me but I'm learning...............

Reply by SSEmobile on 12/6/05 4:10pm
Msg #80706

>Maybe like you said, it's not compatible with XP even though the package says it is.
>It's all mumbled wording to me but I'm learning...............

Unfortunately the driver for the USB cable isn't a certified application piece for XP,
and neither is the application. It should have given you a short notice about that
when you installed it.

I was able to get it to work on my XP machine talking to my Win98 machine but
using a USB 1.00 only port, and not try to run it at USB 2.00 speed, but in your
case the network alternative may work, and it might even be faster then USB 2.0
speed.

G'luck!!

Reply by NM_CO on 12/6/05 4:41pm
Msg #80724

Thanks.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/6/05 8:16pm
Msg #80776

Re: To the computer wizards ... another option

I bought a stand-alone USB hard drive. I backed up everything to it and still use it as a backup storage device.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.