Notary Rotary
Totally Green
Notary Discussion History

Totally Green
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 12/1/05 5:53pm
Msg #79695

Totally Green

I feel appreciative for all posts that are catapulting me forward into NP ing. I am actually a brand new NP. The PDA/camera posts are informative as well as printer postings. A more basic question: How and what do you carry all things needed for a signing? Has anyone found a particular case that works outstandingly for needed locked items that is easy to carry? I have grazed through office stores with uncertainty of what I need. Spending $70 for a case to hold papers, stamps, journal, etc that locks could be the ideal; however, to spend that money only to find it's too small or not the right thing could be both costly and disappointing. Comments or suggestions welcomed.

My intention is not to file this as an anonymous, however, the first line of the message posting has Author and gives my first and last name instead of my screen name NancyCA. I'm from California, namely San Francisco area, and obviously Nancy. I would prefer to use only my first name. Any thoughts on changing that unchangeable Author line to my first name and CA only? Many thanks.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 12/1/05 6:03pm
Msg #79696

Nancy, I got a basic black brief case with a combination lock at Staples for $20. It's vinyl (yet looks just as good as leather), looks nice, carries my supplies, and I wont cry if a borrowers dog trots up and takes a bite out of it. I've had it for almost a year and it is just as good as new. Just go in to the store and you'll find something more affordable than $70.

Reply by MC_oh on 12/1/05 6:38pm
Msg #79699

I received a black attache bag with space for a lap top for free from Staples when I ordered a case of paper. I works just fine, has room for several sets of docs, cost me nothing, and when a borrower's cat scents it, I have an extra.

Reply by O/CNotary on 12/2/05 12:38am
Msg #79754

Mc_Oh, di you have to order the paper or purchase from the

store to get the free black case? I just bought a case of legal size paper from the store and didnt receive one, boo hoo hoo, I need one too!

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/1/05 6:43pm
Msg #79700

I use a messenger bag that I got from Staples, cost me $20 as well. For some reason it's $30 on their website. Perfect for a signing agent, lots of different compartments.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=0&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=109642

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/1/05 7:19pm
Msg #79703

Hi,

You should be able to go to the forum section of your profile, click on the arrow, click on "fourm alias" then type what you want to use in the box above it, then go all the way to the bottom and update. That should fix it so you can post as Nancy. FYI, though. When I began posting my name and a link to my profile, then I began getting more calls off of this board.

I just bought a regular brief case at staples, the leas expensive on the shelf that expanded. It holds everything I need. If I have mutiple signings on one trip, I keep the documents in a separate fedex envelope as you only want to take the documents for the current signing into the home.

Reply by Nd_WA on 12/1/05 7:34pm
Msg #79705

I have very much the exact same one as Cali posted, but got it from OfficeMax. It holds pretty much everything (2 MOJO, 2 stamps, digital cam, 3 loan packages (includes BO copies) , biz cards, pens, stapler, tape, you name it.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/1/05 7:28pm
Msg #79704

Hi Nancy and welcome. I'm from the East Coast and I have worked in the financial district for a number of years. I find that San Francisco reminds me a lot of Boston both visually and by attitude. If you are going to be spending some time in the financial district, Union St, Nob Hill, even the Avenues and Sunset you may wish to accessorize accordingly. This may seem shallow to some but in many instances, especially if you also have other services to offer (real estate, financial services, tax services etc) your appearance does say a lot about you. I do use a brief case that I have had for many years and it is leather. It is the thinner style and I have no problems putting all of my notary gear including brochures, business cards, calendars etc. I originate loans and sell commercial real estate and believe it or not but being a notary often opens doors that are otherwise hard to get into. A notary is usually a neutral position and one of trust: I find that people tend to be more open with me as a notary and then are more comfortable considering some of the other services I provide. I never actually sell my services at the notarization but I do present my business card and if the borrower shows interest and should the discussion wander then I suggest that we set up another time to discuss my services. Professional attitude and appearance tend to go hand in hand and San Francisco is certainly more formal than my cities here in the West.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/1/05 8:09pm
Msg #79708

I've had periodic back problems over the years, so I opted to go with something on wheels. That way, I don't agonize over whether or not I should include something and I pretty much have anything I might need with me. There have been a number of times when I've been on foot searching for a unit number in a big condo complex, for example, and was very glad to be able to pull it rather than carry it! Mine is just a sturdy canvas - not fancy, but it gets the job done and looks reasonably professional.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/1/05 9:26pm
Msg #79729

I once had a borrowers snake crawl into my case.

Reply by Tina_MA on 12/1/05 10:13pm
Msg #79740

>>>I've had periodic back problems over the years, so I opted to go with something on wheels.<<<

I also have back and shoulder problems and use an attorney's black rolling case that I purchased about two years ago from Staples. It carries four large sets of loan docs (original and borrower copies), as well as my water bottle, stamp and desktop embosser, with spaces for plenty of pens and business cards.

It also has a separate compartment for file folders of: loose acknowledgments and jurats, hold harmless forms, RTC calendar, ID checking guide, two journals, and my "What the Heck was That!?! Scary noises and other car stuff every woman should know!" book.

And there's two other outside pockets, one has my slippers in it (handy for those houses that do not allow shoes), another pocket holds "Static Guard" (helps get rid of pet hair and tame misbehaving clothes) as well as extra pens.

Reply by Nancy/CA on 12/1/05 10:48pm
Msg #79744

I will renegotiate Office Depot/Staples with a new eye now. Thank you all your good suggestions. I am more confident I will make good and appropriate choices in both type of bag and supplies that I may need for a typical day.

Looking forward to reading more entries on this board.

Nancy

Reply by thnotary_NY on 12/2/05 8:28am
Msg #79781

I found a vinyl/cloth bag in a small clothing store that was having sales at the time, I forget the name of the store right now. Anyway, it's an Olympia, Casual Gear, blk., with plenty of pockets and a soft handle and is expandable. Think I paid something like $25-30 for it. With its soft sides plus outer pockets it carries all I've needed. Be sure you look for something that will carry LEGAL SIZE paper/envelopes, no matter what you get.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/2/05 9:34am
Msg #79809

CalNotary

I was looking at the bag from staples does it have a lock? I am in need of a new one as I was using my hubbys and he needs it back. I haven't seen any that have locks. Just wondering TIA

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/2/05 9:53am
Msg #79815

Sorry meant CaliNotary n/m

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 12/2/05 11:21am
Msg #79859

Re: Sorry meant CaliNotary n/m

I have been thinking of this since last night. I see a bigger issue here. So here's my thoughts. CA law states that the journal and seal must be kept in a "locked and secure area", not doing so could result in grounds for refusal, revocation or suspension of commission. I think that this applies to the bag or brief that you keep your journal and seal in. My opinion is that should anything happen to the two items and it comes out that they were not in a locked brief it is possible that you may be risking your commission. Now we don't need to go into different scenarios as to how the journal and seal could fall into the wrong hands. I just have always felt that the best way to follow the law and protect yourself is to use a locked brief. That way you always can defend yourself by saying it was kept in a locked and secure spot that only you have access to. Not even my hubby knows the combo to my lock, sure I trust him but I just don't want to leave any room for the appearance of doing the wrong thing.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/2/05 11:24am
Msg #79862

Yes I know that is the Law Smiley That is why I asked if it locks. Because I am looking for an affordable one touse so I can give my hubby his bak.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 12/2/05 11:31am
Msg #79864

Just to clarify, your post was clear on the lock issue. That is not what spurred my thoughts. It was the link to the bag that Cali uses. I could see no lock and in the description it doesn't mention a lock. Now I respect Cali's knowledge and though he is blunt I agree with him 99% of the time. This is just one time that I wonder why no lock.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/2/05 11:36am
Msg #79866

Yeah I was wondering that myself. And I agree Cali has a wealth of knowledge that has been helpful many times to me and I am sure others as well. You also have helped me alot and was not trying to attack you just wanted to clarify my position as well. Have a Great Day!!!

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 12/2/05 11:49am
Msg #79870

All is good. I was hoping that you didn't think my post was directed at you and wanted to clarify that it was just one of my many ponderings. Thanks for the warm wishes, you have a great one too.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.