Notary Rotary
Undercharging revisited
Notary Discussion History

Undercharging revisited
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Tina_MA on 12/16/05 10:31pm
Msg #83107

Undercharging revisited

When you receive a job from a company that has not disclosed, upfront, all that the job entails, you should call them back and *inform* them what your fees are for fax-backs, split packages, second trips, etc.

Many companies seem to think that we are part of their clerical staff now. Unfortunately, unless they plan on paying me a yearly salary, vacation, sick time, and retirement, they will need to pay for my clerical services.

It's amazing how quickly I hear that "fax-backs are no longer required" or that "the package just needs to be sent us, I don't know why they told you split it between Tom, Dick, and Harry" once they've been informed of the fees involved for these services.

We do not have a product to sell. What we are selling is services. Some services are part of the original deal -- meeting the borrowers at their home or business, double and triple checking that your work is correct and complete, dropping your neatly packaged docs at the nearest FedEx or UPS, informing the company that the signing was completed and passing on the tracking number, and second trips due to your error.

However, many services are *not* part of the original deal: printing e-docs, fax-backs, splitting packages, meeting one borrower at one location and then traveling to meet the other borrower at another location, recording mortgages and deeds after the signing, second trips that are due to TC or lender error, etc.

You do not have to accept additional duties as a done deal. Call the company back and inform them of the additional fees for the additional services. If they agree to the additional fees, GET IT IN WRITING -- inform them that you require an updated confirmation before the additional services can be completed.

If they do not agree, and tell you to just send the package back, GET IT IN WRITING -- and keep that email or fax on file until you are paid.

This is your business, your time, and your services -- you're in charge.

Reply by Douw Smit on 12/16/05 11:46pm
Msg #83112

I fully agree and could not have said it any better. Excellent advice thank you very much!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.