Notary Rotary
Wacky Crazy Borrower ...
Notary Discussion History

Wacky Crazy Borrower ...
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by m_fl on 12/19/05 10:46pm
Msg #83532

Wacky Crazy Borrower ...

Ok ... this is not a story of a closing i did but of one i have coming up. I got called for a closing for tomorrow from one of my regular companies ... it is a large company and i get calls from many different people at this same company ... anyway ... ok .. so borrower contacts me this morning tells me she wants to change the date and i tell her who she needs to contact blah blah blah ... well i get a call back and it is changed .. ok .. good to go ... well tonight she calls me wanting to know if i heard from ____ I sais yes and it was rescheduled for Thursday at the same time. Good she says ... then she proceeds to tell me that this is how it is going to go ... I will show up there and she will sign. When we get done signing she will then get on a bus and take the documents to a copy shop which is approximatly 10 miles away and I will follow the bus. Then after she has all her copies she will give the docs back to me and i can be on my way... No way Jose I tell her ... I say first nobody will make copies of my stamp I dont care who it is ... (of course i was nice) and I tell her how a typical closing goes and that i am more than experianced having done several hundred closings. She then tells me fine I will not do that but i will be marking up the documents before I sign them. I then tell her to please not mark up the originals and she can mark up her copy however she wants. So she agrees sorda .. then she tells me well when we get done you can wait in my driveway and i will go to my neighbors and you can wait for me to return ... umm ... SO i ask her what she plans on doing there while i wait (i know i should have hung up but this was getting rediculas) .. she says im going to copy these documents. I then said maam I have to go ... I then call the company that hired me and canceled ... there is no way i can get hung up with this lady for hours doing this closing for the price i am going to get paid on a 80 mile round trip ... *sigh*

Reply by Melda Bates on 12/19/05 11:11pm
Msg #83534

I need to edit ... i know copies of my stamp will be made by the lenders and if she wants to get a copy of that from them after the closing fine ... but i am not going to let her make copies just for the sake of making them ... i hope this makes sense ...

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 12/20/05 4:09am
Msg #83545

I'm sorry, Melda, but I don't agree with your take on this. For one thing, I'm amazed that MORE borrower's don't insist on copies of the signed pkg. and I don't find this borrower to be "wacky" or "crazy" at all. Rather than cancel, perhaps you could have arranged to simply perform the closing someplace where a copier was available (library, perhaps?) You would have spared yourself the small amount of time/expense of printing her 'copy' pkg, albeit a slight savings.

I don't think your concern over her having copies of your stamp are reasonable. I do think her concern over having copies of the actual, signed docs IS reasonable. Had her loan closed at a title office, she would walk out with a copy of her signed docs. Using your services (or any NSA) should be an added value - not a compromised one. Obviously there are different logistics to using an NSA, but to consider her "wacky and crazy" for this reasonable request and to not have sought a means to accomodate her is, IMHO, a strike against using an NSA to begin with.

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/20/05 8:12am
Msg #83569

"I say first nobody will make copies of my stamp I dont care who it is ..."

I don't understand this comment.

It sounds to me that she wasn't aware that she had a copy of all the docs and that you could have notarized her copies as well. If she did know this and was trying to protect herself (paranoid as it seems) it shouldn't have been a problem anyway. I would have tried to set this signing up at a location that has a copier had I known beforehand what her intentions were. I don't think she was wacky/crazy.

Reply by m_fl on 12/20/05 8:25am
Msg #83574

hey sorry this post sounded all wonky ... the lady wanted me to follow the bus so she could have a copy ... nobody thinks this is odd?

It was late when i posted this and if you read my next comment you will see that i know she could obtain a copy after it is all said and done but i cant run all over the place for her to get this ... I am sorry and many of you here have said the same thing. Time is money .. plus gas is money and this is my business and how i run it ... I dont think any of you would agree to these terms of this lady either. She was trying very hard to to take over control of the signing and i am not willing to go to her terms to do it. I explained to her the process of how I do my loan closings and she still did not get it. It was like everything i said she wanted to change and tell me how we would do it.

I never thought of having the closing take place at a location where she could make copies though. Thanks for that suggestion.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 12/20/05 11:24am
Msg #83645

I agree with everyone else on this one....

We are in the business of providing a "service" and that service is at the convenience of the borrower, not us. Being flexible is our middle name, the ability to be versitle makes or breaks us. Improvising seperates the men from the boys...my gosh...I just described the Marines! GOD BLESS EM!

We can't take things personal, this is business. She had every right to make her request, I don't really see that she attempted to take control of the signing but rather she wanted to be sure there wasn't going to be the ever present paper shuffling. She needed to be positive that what she signed wouldn't be changed or modified once the paperwork hit the desk of the LO and Title and in her mind the only insurance she had of that was copies of her paperwork once she signed. Who knows...maybe she has had a bad experience in the past...wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Anyway, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

Reply by BetsyMI on 12/20/05 11:32am
Msg #83647

Just so you don't think you're totally crazy, yes I think it was an odd request to have the borrower want you to follow her on the bus for 10 miles! We have nothing to do after our closings, right?

The other night I did a closing for a guy who didn't turn off his big screen TV during my entire signing. I will say up front that I now know I should have asked him to turn it off, or at least down. There was some football game on! I kept having to say "Mr. Borrower, focus! The papers are over here!" It was quite a struggle. And his non-borrower wife kept letting their 10 month old baby come over to the two TV tables (!) they had set up for us to do the signing, and while he was an adorable happy baby, you know he was trying to grab all those papers in his grubby little paws...LOL. The wife was too busy taking phone calls and kept leaving the room which meant the borrower had to keep picking up the baby when he wasn't busy watching the Big Screen. I couldn't wait to get done with this one!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.