Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
anyone else live next to an Army base?...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 12/8/05 3:15pm
Msg #81220

I swear if we were ever bombed, I wouldn't know it. Redstone Arsenal is most of the town of Huntsville, HUGE. One of the things they are in charge of is destroying the ammunition, etc., sent from Iraq. I just jumped off my chair with an explosion that shook the house. Normally they shake the windows but that one was freaking me out.
They do a lot of testing also. Lately they've been doing something that sounds like an airplane flying too low above my house. It lasts for about 10 seconds, wonder what the heck that is! They also do missions practice and fly the aircraft around often.
I grew up in a nice quiet part of a big city. This has to take some time to get used to! Never a dull moment.
Anyway, turned down two tonight for distance and fee and it's starting to pick up for next week. I actually have a call on Monday and I already have the o/n docs. Tuesday's call is sending o/n docs today. What's up with dat?

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 12/8/05 3:22pm
Msg #81222

Sounds like Ft. Carson! We always know when they're playing "war games". Everything in the house shakes! We live fairly close to their 'practice' field.
Like you, if we ever were attacked here I'd never know it! I'd just think they were playing war games again! LOL!
I guess there are times that ignorance CAN be bliss! LOL

Reply by Stamper_WI on 12/8/05 8:04pm
Msg #81284

OUR PLANES?

Years ago an airbase practiced bombing dives on the bridge on my little town rd (33ft wide). The first time they did this I was on my knees in the garden when this big shadow came over me...then the noise! I was flat on my face in my garden!. One of my neighbors called the base commander to complain becaus it was upsetting his cows causing them to break thru fences etc. The commander asked him " are you sure they were our planes?" The neighbor said "Yes!". The commander replied " GOOD!" and hung up.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 12/8/05 8:07pm
Msg #81287

Also....

They also used to drop these bundles of wires in the woods then send planes out to find them with their radar systems. Result was low flying airplanes at practically tree top level. My sister- in- laws wedding was outdoors...one flew over us in the middle of it.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/8/05 3:32pm
Msg #81225

Redstone, Anniston (home of TACOM), Warner-Robbins, all bring back warm memories. They used to be good clients of mine when I owned an engineering-manufacturing company. WE used to make a lot of stuff for those guys and then we used to get invited to watch it get blown up: great fun. Now THOSE are big boys' toys!!!

Now I live in a town called Fort Bragg (in California and named after the same Confederate General as the one in Nort Carolina). Fort Bragg Ca is a small town of 6000 on the grounds of an old cavalry fort last used in the 1850's. However we still have to disclose that it ws a military base for real estate purposes. I have a neighbor who is a direct descendant of the army scout who intially established the fort. WE still have the quartermaster's office standing.

Reply by Tina_MA on 12/8/05 4:39pm
Msg #81239

I lived on Ft Bragg, NC for quite few years (right next door to the infamous house where the man killed his family). We lived right down the street from the various ranges, and we were directly in the flight line for the air base next door.

Everything in the house needed to have that museum goop on it so that it wouldn't come off the shelves or tables. Everything on the walls had to be screwed in. When I first moved in, no one told me this, and I had to replace the glass in all my pictures, and glue or replace all my dust-collectors.

When I finally moved to a normal neighborhood, I always thought it was too quiet. I finally moved next to a railroad shipping center. The noise made me feel right at home. ;-)

Reply by Chris_NJ on 12/8/05 4:55pm
Msg #81246

I'm in south Jersey and about 3 miles from a practice bombing field. Two years ago they accidently riddled an elementary school with live ammo in the middle of the night and the year before bailed a fighter jet just off the parkway. Five years ago they dumped a dummy bomb outside the target area and burned 1600 acres of pinelands!. Neddless to say, after the school incident they made some changes in their training program.

Reply by Mike_NJ on 12/8/05 4:57pm
Msg #81249

I live in the middle of 6 bases in NJ.. Ocean County

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/8/05 5:43pm
Msg #81258

I know what you mean, Charm. I was in Huntsville for several weeks last year and earlier this year installing the new phone system for NASA Marshall. What scared me more, however, was the tornado warnings. I felt like whenever I was in town I had to evacuate the switchroom and head down to the basement...the basement where there were large pieces of equiment that would smoosh me like a bug. I also installed the phones for NASA Stennis and when they were testing equipment you could feel the ground shake.

Reply by KBLedgard_CA on 12/8/05 7:23pm
Msg #81276

I am in a Navy town...I have MCAS Miramar to the immediate south, hear the jets and helo's regularly. Camp Pendleton to the north, Naval Station San Diego and NAS North Island south of downtown. My kids like to refer to Miramar as "the baby airport".

Reply by Deb_bama on 12/8/05 9:30pm
Msg #81312

Charm_AL - I also live in Huntsville. I know what you mean about the blast. I used to live off Zeirdt Road which is across the street from Arsenal Property. Used to knock things off my walls at times. Oh well, live in NE Huntsville now so I don't hear it anymore.

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/9/05 6:17am
Msg #81364

Deb!...

So glad you posted, I was looking for a SA to cover two appts., last night that I couldn't make. Please e-mail me your info and experience for the future! I refer out a lot!

Reply by Deb_bama on 12/9/05 7:10am
Msg #81372

Re: Deb!...

Same here Charm. I had to turn down a couple last night as I had previous plans. I will email you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.