Notary Rotary
attaching jurat
Notary Discussion History

attaching jurat
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Apolonia Lange on 12/7/05 6:14pm
Msg #81020

attaching jurat

A borrower on one of my signings today took it upon himself to change the date on the certificate part. The incorrect date was the 5th and I did the signing today. So he changed the date and then put his initials. I know that I should of changed the date myself and I was given instructions before to change any incorrect dates for example on the RTC. So now the SS wants me to attach a loose jurat to document. Wrong? right? Yes I am still fairly new only 7 signings and I have never had a borrower just go and start correcting dates like this w/out instructions from me. Please help do I attach jurat or go back to borrowers house redo the docs?

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/7/05 6:23pm
Msg #81021

Why can't you just initial the change on the old jurat? You are the one who should initial so if you initial the change on your certificate that is sufficient. It will not hurt for the bwrs initials to be on there IMHO.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/7/05 6:25pm
Msg #81022

right, that's what I think but ss wants an attached jurat.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/7/05 6:29pm
Msg #81023

Well, that's because they want overkill.

What document is it?

I guess you could mark out the entire certificate and attach. Anyone else?

Reply by TitleGalCA on 12/7/05 6:30pm
Msg #81024

Here's what I was going to post:

It sounds like a ridiculous request all the way around...you could have just intialled the change yourself, as Brenda said. I'd send them their jurat just to be done with it and them.

Reply by Apolonia Lange on 12/7/05 6:32pm
Msg #81025

ok. So plase be patient w/ me. So attaching a loose jurat is O.K. ?? I fill out loose jurat w/out borrowers signatures on it. I just always thought that was a no no.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 12/7/05 6:39pm
Msg #81026

You should always use the certification provided, whenever possible. Looks like your SS doesn't like the certificate the borrower initialled - so I'd cross that one out and attach a loose one since you still have the document in your possession. Doesn't sound like a matter of right v. wrong, just overkill by the SS.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/7/05 6:40pm
Msg #81028

Apolonia, the bwrs won't be putting their signature anywhere on your jurat certificate.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/7/05 6:41pm
Msg #81031

The following are requirements of the Jurat:

1. The signer must personally appear before the notary on the date and in the county indicated.

2. The signer must sign in the presence of the Notary Public.

3. The Notary must administer the oath.

4. The signer of the jurat must be properly identified.

Thus, a document requiring a jurat may only be signed in front of a notary.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/7/05 6:45pm
Msg #81034

***The following are requirements of the Jurat:
1. The signer must personally appear before the notary on the date and in the county indicated.
2. The signer must sign in the presence of the Notary Public.
3. The Notary must administer the oath.
4. The signer of the jurat must be properly identified.
Thus, a document requiring a jurat may only be signed in front of a notary.***

Yes, and all that has been done.

What's your point?

Reply by TitleGalCA on 12/7/05 6:47pm
Msg #81035

Gosh, I guess we all needed a Notary 101 Primer on Jurats. Gee whiz, golly - thanks.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/7/05 8:51pm
Msg #81059

It never hurts to have a refresher. Especially for the new NSA.

Reply by Lee/AR on 12/7/05 6:41pm
Msg #81032

Apolonia... Loose Jurats & Acks

don't have any signature but yours.

Reply by Apolonia Lange on 12/7/05 6:43pm
Msg #81033

Thanks so much!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.