Notary Rotary
survey on cellular service providers.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Mung/CA on 12/14/05 2:18pm
Msg #82530

I need to get a new cell service provider. Who do you guys use and do you have any complaints? I currently have Cingular and it SUCKS! I get into my car this morning and see that I have a new voicemail so I check it. It's from a ss saying that he has a signing for me tonight 2 miles from my house. I call him and say that I was available for tonight. He was happy to hear that I was available for tonight unfortunately the signing was for last night. He had called me yesterday. This is not the first time this happens that is why I'm in the market.

I'm thinking about Verizon. Any input?

Reply by NM_CO on 12/14/05 2:22pm
Msg #82531

I had Cingular and agreed, it DOES SUCK! lol. I switched to T-Mobile recently and haven't had one problem. Only 39.99 per month for 1500 minutes. Hubby uses Verizon and loves them too.

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/14/05 2:26pm
Msg #82535

Verizon is rated number 1 in almost all areas, per the recent Consumer Affairs Report Magazine.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/14/05 4:37pm
Msg #82589

Re: The service provider needs to be taken

into consideration -- HOWEVER, the phone quality is also a big picture. A cheap $45 phone has no comparison and doesn't hold a candle to a higher quality/higher priced phone, i.e., $150, $200+ phone.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/15/05 12:52am
Msg #82667

Re: The service provider needs to be taken

Carolyn, I am glad you mentioned the more expensive phone. I always get the next to cheapest type...the one up from free because I think it seems frivolous to do otherwise. However, now that I have your input on this and the phone quality, I might sport something more pricey next year.

T-MOBILE is 3000 anytime for $49 (Texas and all states touching Tx)
You can add $5 for 500 weekend min.
Reception is decent and I like it better than Sprint.

I also have Sprint and these days I feel that Sprint just ain't what it used ta be. (I had sprint a few years ago and it was better than now in my recollection.)

I got a Sprint phone around 17 months ago because my TMOBILE was dropping calls out in the boonies and I was doing a lot of inspecting back in the woods. Did NOT want to be out there in the woods with no phone.

Sprint appeared to have excellent coverage so I armed myself with another cell phone for those back roads...plus with the Sprint plan I got US wide calling. I have 1100 anytime minutes, after 7 pm is free, no roaming charges, and my bill is around $95 each month for Sprint. Yep, I think it's high, but I don't want to incur those awful overage charges so I keep it up there.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/14/05 2:25pm
Msg #82533

I use Sprint and am happy with it. Receiving calls "after the fact" can and will happen with all providers. Also, depending on where you live and where they have towers can make a big difference. Check each wireless provider out to see who might work best in the area you are in. My business partner is also a flight attendant and has to be able to receive calls just about 24/7 and a while back her Sprint phone wouldn't ring. She got a new phone and it hasn't happened since, so you may want to make sure the phone you have isn't the problem. When I visit my family in the North East my phone works about 50% of the time. I have been working in the Telecom field for 9 years and there is no perfect wireless plan, just one that might work best for you in your area. Hope this info. will help you research the matter more thoroughly and good luck with your search! - Melissa

Reply by Roger_OH on 12/14/05 2:53pm
Msg #82544

I have been happy with Nextel/Sprint. I have one of the FREE INCOMING call plans which saves a BUNDLE.

Reply by Marla_FL on 12/14/05 2:27pm
Msg #82536

I had Alltel and I had $49 for unlimited anytime minutes. It was special promotion in their "Home Market" several years ago. I loved the service. When I moved to Florida they said that the same plan would run $90. I thought, "I'll show them"! So I canceled and went to Sprint. I hated it every day of the year and a half that I had it. I dropped several calls a day or was "looking for service) several times a day. I even roamed several times a week for a while. I live in a metropolitan area!

I just went back to Alltel last week (yeah, I sucked it up, ate crow and went back with my tail between my legs). I purchased the Pocket PC 6700 and I absolutely love it!

Reply by Beth/MD on 12/14/05 2:38pm
Msg #82539

Re: I'm a happy Verizon user...n/m

Reply by cmd_NH on 12/14/05 2:51pm
Msg #82542

Re: I'm a happy Verizon user...n/m

We don't have cell service from anyone up here in the Great North Woods.....but I do have cell service with Verizon for when I get to the more populated areas with those luxuries and I haven't had any complaints with it. Now......if they would just move into our area so I wouldn't have to roam out of Canada, that would be very nice!

Reply by LilyMD on 12/14/05 2:52pm
Msg #82543

Re: I'm a happy T-Mobile user...n/m

Reply by SLB SIGNING SERVICES, INC. - Sherry on 12/14/05 3:10pm
Msg #82550

SPRINT is TERRIBLE!!! here in Orlando anyway......

Cannot wait until contract expires to switch carriers...Sprint is just way too inconsistent....Heck, I cant even make calls from my home office at times...and I cant receive calls in certain places either...Makes me wonder what I am paying for...LOL

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/14/05 3:19pm
Msg #82556

Re: SPRINT is TERRIBLE!!! here in Orlando anyway......

How strange. I was in Orlando a couple months ago and my phone worked fine. Which model do you have? I use the Samsung SPH-A660. It also worked in Fort Lauderdale and Miami. My hotel was near Universal Studios. - Melissa

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/14/05 3:21pm
Msg #82558

Verizon is the best as far as receiving calls and coverage. Sometimes their costumer service is lacking.

Reply by Dee_Fla on 12/14/05 9:20pm
Msg #82644

i agree Sherry....I hate Spring too! I have them also..its worse down here in Sebring. And there is NO excuse as we don't have mountains down here! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! My contract has been over with them but I've been shopping for a better deal with another company who won't sweet talk me into their "garbage" either.

I know my sister who is in Orlando has had nothing but pure billing issues with them. they are out for the$$..& nothing more! what happened to real services??? (ok now i sound like that commercial....was it DHL???....lol)

d

Reply by B__CA on 12/14/05 3:28pm
Msg #82560

Regardless what all of us think, talk to people in your area that is how you are going to find the best coverage.

Reply by Elva_oh on 12/14/05 3:36pm
Msg #82561

I have had Verizon for 6 years - we have 3 phones and a broadband line and I have excellent service through them. I would not change in a million years. And it worked just as well in San Francisco while I was there this summer as it does in my home area.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/14/05 3:45pm
Msg #82565

Re: survey on cellular service providers. Elva?

Your name is Elva? Were your parents fan of Elvis Presley? Seriously, is that just your anonymous handle?

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/14/05 4:10pm
Msg #82572

Re: what difference does it make? At least Elva

is using a handle.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/14/05 7:01pm
Msg #82614

Something to think about

A lot of it depends on your area, so ask around in your area. Talk to several people. I have Cingular, and while it is acceptable here (High Desert, Southern California) I understand Verizon is the best up here, but even they are not good as this area has grown so fast, its outstripping the ability of the services to keep up. Everything's is overloaded, the roads, the electrical power grid, dsl, cable well you get the idea. So a lot depends on your area.

The grass is not always greener .......

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.