Notary Rotary
CA Exam- help?
Notary Discussion History

CA Exam- help?
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Meliss on 2/28/05 1:48pm
Msg #22871

CA Exam- help?

I am preparing for the notary exam in California? I was wondering if anyone had advice or sample questions in preparing? I have the handbook suggested for studying. Just needed some advice! Thanks!

Reply by Lori/CA on 2/28/05 1:51pm
Msg #22872

Meliss,

I only had the little 32 page book they sent me and all my answers were there.

If you have not had experience in the field you will find yourself lost. I suggest you do quite a bit more studying before going in the field.

One idea is to go to the beginning of theses posts and start to read them. You will find TONS of wonderful information that you will not find anywhere.

Hope this help, and good luck!

LoriSmiley

Reply by SL on 2/28/05 2:10pm
Msg #22877

This is a wonderful site, great info.... but Lots of details, some may overwhelm you for the Ca Exam, maybe I am wrong..Most stuff here is great for Loan signing though.. I think if I would have came here first I would have been a bit overwhelmed.. but that is just me... There are a lot of VERY smart and "notary law" wise people here, but laws for all states can be very different... so just beware of what you read and take in.. Good luck Smiley

Reply by SL.. So Ca on 2/28/05 1:55pm
Msg #22874

Well I took it the same day I took the CA notary class... so I had the info right there in my brain... but it was a nerve racking test.. SOO much to learn.. But as to advise, I would say all you can do is study all laws and types of notarial docs.. and just do your best.... If you study the hand book, I am sure you will do fine. Smiley Good Luck !!

Reply by BarbaraM_CA on 2/28/05 2:07pm
Msg #22876

When I renewed my commission last year I found a lot of questions on penalties for breaking the law- which I hadn't studied much since I have no intentions of breaking the law.

Reply by Meliss on 2/28/05 2:54pm
Msg #22883

Thank you all so much for your advice! My test date isn't until April 2, so I have plenty of time to study! This was the first site besides the www.cps.ca.gov site that I went to to get the application and handbook. And you are right!....it is a bit overwhelming to see the various topics and questions, but it sounds interesting and challenging! Thanks again!

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 2/28/05 3:45pm
Msg #22895

If you read the handbook absorbing all the information you should do well. As mentioned above, all the responses to the questions on the exam are in the handbook.

Good luck.

Reply by ColleenCA on 2/28/05 6:02pm
Msg #22920

I might be wrong, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that California law states that as of Jan. 1, 2005 taking the notary class is required, and you can't just study for and take the test. Anyone have anymore info on this? I would just hate for someone to study, show up for the test and be told that they should have taken the class instead.

Reply by CA_EJ on 3/1/05 12:14am
Msg #22970

Colleen, you are absolutely correct. I passed my CA exam in Sept., and they made it very clear, and is stated in the CA notary Law Primer, page 19.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/1/05 2:20am
Msg #22986

This is how it reads in the 2005 hand book
"Satisfactorily complete a course of study approved by the
Secretary of State for appointments made on or after July !, 2005

Reply by Scott Cameron on 3/1/05 4:47am
Msg #22987

I recently passed the CA notary exam. I just studied the sec state hand book each night after dinner for about 10 days before the exam. Most of the questions were easy. A few were difficult. But consider that you only need to get 70% of 30 questions right. That means you can miss 9 questions! And remember, if you don't pass you can take the test again.

Reply by Polly_CA on 3/1/05 1:55pm
Msg #23084

In my notary handbook for 2004 it clearly states that 'all persons appointed on or after Jan, 1, 2005, will be required to take and satisfactorily complete a six-hour course of study approved by the sec of state prior to appointment as a notary public.'
I took this course back in Nov. through Rome Notary, and it was the EASIEST test I have ever taken in my entire life. Continue to study your handbook, because I have read some questions posted on this forum where the answer can so easily be found in there. Good luck and keep studying your handbook.

Reply by Jon on 3/1/05 5:09pm
Msg #23127

The education requirement was changed to July 1, 2005. Currently, the SOS has not approved any courses and are still working on the guidelines for approving curriculum.

My commission is up for renewal this year, so I have to take a course. I am going to schedule the test within a month so all I have left to do is sit in a class for 6 hours.

Reply by Meliss on 3/10/05 10:11am
Msg #24730

Thanks for all the replies once again! I did check on the requirement and it is July 1, 2005 in which there will be a mandatory course along with the test to be commissioned.

I will continue to study hard! Have a great day!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.