Notary Rotary
CA jurat question
Notary Discussion History

CA jurat question
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Lopez0351 on 2/5/05 6:24pm
Msg #19524

CA jurat question

I know that there is a new law concerning jurats in CA, where the notorial wording has to add the fact that the signer personally appeared and proved to me that they are who they say they are. I've recently been adding the wording to all the loans requiring jurats who have the basic wording on it. I've just sent back a package that strictly told me nothing should be changed/added/deleted/or crossed out. It's too soon to find out whether what I did was wrong or not. No other lenders have told me anything, but they didn't seem as strict as this one.
Was what I did right? or Should I have told them to send me another one with the correct wording? Did it matter that the lender was based in another state?

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/5/05 7:56pm
Msg #19528

The lender cannot dictate California notary law. Never ever let them tell you what to do when it comes to notarizations. You MUST attach the correct wording to every jurat you do. You did the right thing by changing it. Remember, they hire us assuming we know what we're doing, and they hire us to do things correctly and legally.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 2/5/05 8:09pm
Msg #19532

Not changing anything refers to the loan documents. A notarial certificate is not a loan document and it is our call on how it is filled out.

I've been using the CA Jurat stamp from Notary Rotary. It's small so it usually fits on the paper. If there's no room, I attach a loose certificate that I've prepared that has the correct wording. No complaints yet, and there better not be, or I'll ask them why they haven't started printing up the Jurat wording correctly.

Reply by Lopez0351 on 2/6/05 9:29am
Msg #19552

Thank you for the response, I now feel confident in what I did and can feel better about it.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 2/6/05 3:22pm
Msg #19576

My guess is we won't see the correct wording for many manny months. Buy a Jurat stamp from here and it will look more professional than handwritting the words.

Reply by Lopez0351 on 2/6/05 9:53pm
Msg #19595

I do have the jurat stamp, but there was no room on the document. What made it worse was the fact that the package arrived 1 hour before the signing, so I did everything on the fly.

Reply by Jon on 2/6/05 11:23pm
Msg #19600

If you don't have room for the Jurrat stamp, attach a loose jurat certificate. That is what I have been doing and have not had any problems. I agree that hand printing looks less than professional.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.