Notary Rotary
Email Blast
Notary Discussion History

Email Blast
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by fiKS on 2/1/05 7:15pm
Msg #19073

Email Blast

Does anyone know how to send a form email to several people without each recipient seeing a distribution list? TIA

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/1/05 7:22pm
Msg #19074

Some programs allow for a blind cc...Outlook Express being one. Don't know what others. I 'used to' use this when sending jokes, catch up e's, etc. to friends, (to eliminate the HUGE list of email addresses) but found that it confused some of them to 'receive' something addressed to someone else. Don't know what this looks like on the receiving end so, if I were you, I'd make a dry run before you use it for business.

Reply by fiKS on 2/1/05 7:32pm
Msg #19075

A while ago I was a recipient of one of these circular emails. It was addressed to "undisclosed recipients". I've erased that email and don't remember who it came from so I can't ask him/her how it was done - using which email client.

Reply by Sherri_IN on 2/1/05 8:07pm
Msg #19080

If you are using Outlook you can create a distribution list.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 2/1/05 8:42pm
Msg #19084

I have set up distribution lists and all the recipients still show.
i'd like to know how to do "undisclosed recipients" also.

Reply by fiKS on 2/1/05 9:46pm
Msg #19092

Yes...that's exactly what I'm wanting to know. n/m

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/1/05 9:59pm
Msg #19096

Re: Yes...that's exactly what I'm wanting to know. n/m

In order to send emails to a group or list of addresses without everyone seeing the "list", you must enter all the addresses on the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) line of the message header. Just about all email programs, including Outlook, supports this feature. Though some require an entry in the TO line, some don't if there is an address in the BCC line.

With Outlook Express, to make the BCC line available, you need to turn on "All Headers" while composing a new message. Then enter all the addresses in the BCC line and send the email.

Reply by fiKS on 2/1/05 10:27pm
Msg #19097

Thanks, I'll try that n/m

Reply by fiKS on 2/1/05 10:39pm
Msg #19103

PAW...would this be recognized as incoming spam email?

Thanks, it works. But do you know if this type of email would be go into the recipient's "spam" folder? I've no clue how email clients recognize spams.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/1/05 11:21pm
Msg #19106

Re: PAW...would this be recognized as incoming spam email?

Just about every ISP, web mail server and individual email clients have their own "identification" procedure to determine SPAM. But, I have found that all my mass mailings, using the BCC **and** a valid TO address works just fine. (There are lots of reasons mail messages get SPAM blocked.) This avoids the "undisclosed recipient" problem that some spam blockers use. I just use my "return" address on the TO line. So what if I get a copy emailed to myself.

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/1/05 11:48pm
Msg #19108

Thanks for this info PAW... it's a super 'work-around'. n/m

Reply by Glena/NV on 2/2/05 11:47am
Msg #19153

Re: Thanks for this info PAW... it's a super 'work-around'. n/m

Yeah! I posted my response before I read Paul's post, but I ditto Paul. That is what I do. It saves time and you reach more people in one email alone.

Reply by Glena/NV on 2/2/05 11:43am
Msg #19151

Fi, this is what I usually do....

type in 1 address on the To:

The rest type in on the (Blind Carbon Copy) Bcc: each address separated by comma (,). No one knows that you sent the same email to someone else. I use it everytime I do my mass email marketing campaign. I just cut the email address from the source and paste it on the Bcc. No hassle! I think that you can include up to 30 different email addresses.

Reply by fiKS on 2/2/05 5:57pm
Msg #19197

Re: Fi, this is what I usually do....

Thanks Bing. Where have you been? Enjoyed your Applebee's dinner the other night?

Reply by Glena/NV on 2/3/05 1:11am
Msg #19271

Sure did!

Been so busy! I had the best month so far in January.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/2/05 6:07pm
Msg #19200

Is it possible some SMTP's won't serve more than a few?

I have no luck with this procedure.

I send things out to test 'em and the only one that gets through is the TO: and CC:

Reply by fiKS on 2/2/05 6:19pm
Msg #19205

Re: Is it possible some SMTP's won't serve more than a few?

Works for me with OE

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/2/05 6:28pm
Msg #19206

Okay, Brenda, let's run a simple test.

I will send you a test email to you, with your email address in the BCC field and my return address in the TO field.

Simply "reply" to that email.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/2/05 10:52pm
Msg #19245

I got your email, Paul. Hitting reply, now.

What I meant was, if I send a blast out to ten people in my BCC, and myself in the TO slot, my mail server just ignores the BCC.

Now, if I send a BCC to one person, no problem.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/3/05 6:54am
Msg #19282

It certainly should not work that way. I sent you an email for the second part of the test. This is a test to send to addresses in TO and BCC simultaneously. It may not work sending to yourself or within your own "post office". The PART DEUX test will help isolate a problem, if there is one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.