Notary Rotary
Messed UP - but how badly (Sylvia?)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 11:34pm
Msg #22802

Here is something I know I messed up: I allowed co-borrower to sign/initial in a couple of spots where only the married borrower's name/initial was typed (cannot remember what docs, just that there were additional lines on the page). Will this fly (already fedex'd the stuff back to the title company) or will this company probably not hire me again?

Mysti

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 2/28/05 12:39am
Msg #22804

Depends on which docs

There are usually multiple sig lines on a lot of the docs
I have seen as many as eight
Having non-reqd signers sign a docs is not a good idea, and technically extra sigs may just be ignored
May be a problem if the non-borrower signed the note, depending on the lender's policies.
Ther are some lenders wher non-borrrowing spouse's name is not typed on certain docs, due to a programming limitation, but they are expected to sign per the instructions.
Usually include the "legals" mortgage/DOT, RTC and TIL. Sometimes the correction agreement also.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/28/05 8:19am
Msg #22819

Re: Depends / 2nd copy of docs for borrower?

Thank you Bob. Yes, the legals all had the spouse listed. But some of the extra pages (although right now I cannot remember which) didn't. I generally calm down and think more clearly after I've started, but I'm very nervous at the front end, specially when I have delayed the signing due to not getting the documents printed fast enough.

Also, on e-mailed docs, do you automatically print a second copy for the borrower?

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/28/05 8:34am
Msg #22822

Re: Depends / 2nd copy of docs for borrower?

As per borrowers copies.... Good rule of thumb is to always leave copies of what ever was meant to be signed by them. Good luck on the other docs, I don't think you'll have much to worry about. If they are co-borrowers they need to be on the note and they will probably, but not always, be on the deed.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/28/05 11:09am
Msg #22842

If he/she was a co-borrower then they probably would be signing everything.
If not a co-borrower they should only sign where their name is printed.

You could call the company and apologize and explain.

Always print out two sets of docs, one to be signed and one for the borrowers.
Always print out enough RTC's and TIL's - each person on title gets two copies of the RTC and one copy of the TIL.

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 2/28/05 11:35am
Msg #22846

Mysti, I will give you the same advice I gave a new signing agent who called me on Saturday morning all panicky because she didn't know what to put on one of the notary certificates for a signing she had done Friday night. In the course of the conversation, it came out that this was her first signing and it was E DOCS. Of course, as per usual they were late, therefore she was late and unnerved. My advice to her was that until she had done about 50 signings to only take overnight docs so she has time to go through, read the docs, become familiar with them and flag where they have to be signed. I know everyone wants to make as much money as fast as possible when they are starting out, but there is NO shortcut to learning. And why on earth, would you deliberately place yourself in a position where there is every probablity that there would be added stress. Yes, I was a newbie once too and this is exactly how I learned my docs!

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/28/05 4:59pm
Msg #22904

Thanks everyone. I actually do make a complete copy for the borrower but I wasn't sure if it was an automatic thing that EVERYONE does.

Dorothy, you are probably right. The funny thing is, I am not doing it for the money. My long term goal WILL be to make as much as I can so I can one day work for myself. In this case, what is driving me to take the e-docs is the fact that a) I have received no other types of calls and need to start somewhere and b) if I turn down the caller today, will he call me again the next time?

So, I fumble through these and if I make a mistake, well it may even turn out to be (in essence) the same as turning them down in that they may never call me again. The only difference will be that I got paid handsomely while training and, if I do it correctly, they may just call me back!

Mysti

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/28/05 5:11pm
Msg #22908

"So, I fumble through these and if I make a mistake, well it may even turn out to be (in essence) the same as turning them down in that they may never call me again. The only difference will be that I got paid handsomely while training and, if I do it correctly"

Do you have any idea how self absorbed and unprofessional this makes you sound? If I do it correctly??? God, I'm really disgusted.

If you make a mistake there could be worse consequences than you not getting called by the company again. Your mistake could also completely screw up somebody's loan and prevent it from funding. Your mistake could cause a delay that causes a rate lock to expire, resulting in a higher interest rate for the borrowers. Your mistake could result in any number of problems that aren't ALL ABOUT YOU.

Between this and your recent claim that you've been printing edocs on a laser printer even though you know you shouldn't, it's quite clear to me that you don't give a flying f*** about the job itself or the borrowers, all you care about are your own interests. It's really quite revolting.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/28/05 5:14pm
Msg #22909

Re: Messed UP - but how badly (Sylvia?) you mean ink ? n/m

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/28/05 5:19pm
Msg #22913

D'oh. You're right, that's what I meant to say. She's been printing on an inkjet printer, not a laser printer.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/28/05 5:22pm
Msg #22915

Ink is not a good thing for loan doc's. I am surprised they did not ask. Most ask me about printer ect. before giving me first assignment.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/28/05 10:41pm
Msg #22959

I presume that since the only calls I've received are for same day signings, they may have been in a rush. In any case, I am picking up the new Brother 8220 tomorrow, for the assignment I have scheduled for tomorrow night.

Thanks for the response.
Mysti

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/28/05 10:37pm
Msg #22958

Calinotary,
This will be the last time I respond to you. I may be unprofessional in your opinion, but with the nasty attitude and the nastier language, your opinion really doesn't count for anyone on this board and especially not me. Thanks for your time.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/1/05 1:55am
Msg #22979

Gee, I don't recall speaking for anyone on this board other than myself. Needless to say, I'm not exactly shocked that you'd ignore the valid points I made and only focus on the asterisks that I posted.

Personally, I think your selfish attitude towards your clients is way nastier than anything I've ever written in here. I'm sure it'll bite you in the butt one of these days and hopefully my words will echo in your ears at that time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.