Notary Rotary
My age reflects on me!!
Notary Discussion History

My age reflects on me!!
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Korey Humphreys on 2/19/05 5:30pm
Msg #21444

My age reflects on me!!

Almost everytime I'm called to a home, buisness, and/or a meeting, people always question my abilities, and credentials because I'm only 21 years old. I do look younger, but I am legittly twenty-one.

It just cracks me up because if I weren't a Notary, why would I persume to be!! LOL

I love it when I am drilled about what I can and cannot do by attorney's. I know what I can, and cannot do because I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't know!!!!!! Smiley

Also, my last encounter of "questioning" was when I was asked, with another notary, to "preside" over a deposition. Just about everyone their tried to test me and trip me up, however I didn't. I don't know if I should take this as a good thing, or a bad thing. Granted they don't turn me away, however they always have a question or two.

I'm pretty sure that there are other notaries my age. The age is 18 here in Massachusetts, yet I haven't come across a notary public my age.

In addition, I also have my own Paralegal Services buisness (IPS), I'm always questioned on how I became a buisness owner at my age.

Any suggestions/comments to help me divert this questioning? Don't say "Grow up faster" LOL Smiley

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 2/19/05 5:46pm
Msg #21447

Could be worse...

Put a few gray streaks in your hair, wear boring conservative clothes, orthapedic shoes, and tell people you look young for your age. Smiley Enjoy!

Daughter in college at 17, tops in class in two schools of language, Masters Degree at age 23 and teaching. She is very petite, with freckles and long straight hair. Recently added reading glasses and practices peering intelligently over them. School field trip to France, because she lived there and has traveled internationally many times, she is one of chaperons. Guess who the chaperone is in the group photo - the tiny one who looks about sixteen sitting in the front row with the NYU sweatshirt.

Before school starts she makes a point of meeting all supervisors and other teachers. Doesn't want anyone asking her, "Do you have a hall pass?" in front of students. Yeah - it happened anyway.

Sprained ankle and had to wear flat shoes. 95 sweet 6th grade students stood next to Miss Shorthouse to see if any one was shorter than her. Two girls were. Smiley

My daughter takes it with a good sense of humor and a smile. Would you rather they asked, "At your age, aren't you worried about driving at night?"

Korey - Do your friends telling you they don't like going out drinking with you because "We ALWAYS get carded when you're with us!"

Reply by Ted_MI on 2/19/05 7:53pm
Msg #21464

Korey,

If it is any consolation, I don't think anyone here picked up on your rather tender age by way of your posts. if you want to take that as a compliment, please be my guest.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 2/19/05 10:20pm
Msg #21478

yeah, I guess I'll take that as a compliment!! Smiley

Most people I know my age are different. I think I may have grown up to fast! But that's okay.......... in the long run it will pay off for me. I'll be able to retire when I'm forty!! LOL

Thank you

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 2/20/05 2:12am
Msg #21490

When I teach notary students to pass the Calif. State Notary Exam I tell all my students if you are in your early 20's you must wear clothing that is very conservative or your going to run into constant problems because you look "too young to be a Notary" and the borrowers will immediately think you are too young to know what you are doing and the loans you do will take much longer in time than a notary in their 30"s to 70"s.

I realize this preception isn't fair to you but I don't think this will change until you are in your late 20's.
My suggestion is buy 2 outfits to wear that you wouldn't want your friends to catch you dead in and your probably OK for the next 7 years.
You seem like a very bright person and I wish I had been a Notary at your age. You have a great future ahead of you!
Good Luck
email me if I can be of anymore help![e-mail address]

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/20/05 8:31am
Msg #21496

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Cuz, eventually, they'll be questioning whether or not 'this old person' knows what they're doing.

Reply by MarleneM/USNA on 2/21/05 9:00am
Msg #21597

Re: Enjoy it while it lasts! - Amen! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.