Notary Rotary
Rudest Borrower Ever!!!
Notary Discussion History

Rudest Borrower Ever!!!
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Margaret/Florida on 2/7/05 6:39pm
Msg #19686

Rudest Borrower Ever!!!

I have been trying to get in touch with a borrower since Thursday evening. Called his home Thursday evening, got voice mail. Called his work and got voice mail and left message again.
Called his home tonight and I got him on the phone. I told him who I was and that I need to confirm the closing for tomorrow at 1:00pm. He told me that he did not know who I was and that he was not going to talk to me and he hung up. I can see this is going to be a real fun closing.

Reply by Paul_IL on 2/7/05 7:00pm
Msg #19692

Call the Loan Officer and tell him to have his fruitcake borrower call you if the borrower would like the closing to take place at the agreed upon time and place.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 2/7/05 8:30pm
Msg #19699

I called the Loan Officer and I got his voicemail but will call again in the morning. I had one last week that was not rude on the phone but was rude once I got there. He yanked the documents from me as soon as I pulled them out of my briefcase and told me he had to read them first. He read every page and then started signing with his own pen which was blue ink not black. I had to replace the ones he signed wrong with his copies. He would not listen and he signed on the wrong lines, etc. While I was waiting for him to read every page, I was looking around his house. He had two toy poodles and a house full of very nice and expensive antiques. After he finished signing I made some comments regarding his beautiful antique furniture and he finally warmed up.

Reply by NJnotary on 2/7/05 10:37pm
Msg #19710

Sure we didn't have the same guy? I'm in Jersey -- man o'man that sounds just like the old piece of furniture nasty guy I had too. They should form a club for the arrogant and insulant people out there like them.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/7/05 10:49pm
Msg #19714

*He yanked the documents from me as soon as I pulled them out of my briefcase*

Margaret,
Remember that you are the one who controls the signing. Granted, the borrowers have the right to read each document (as you come to it in the packet) word-for-word, if that's what they want to do, however, they don't have the right to yank the package out of your hand. It's never happened to me, but if someone tried, I think it would be similar to a scene out of the movies, with a woman protecting her purse when someone tries to yank it from her. If they were successful in yanking the package from me, I would immediately be calling the SS and the loan/title company. Furthermore, if a borrower would not listen and took it upon themself to sign wherever they felt like it, I would not be just sitting and looking around their house -- again, my cell phone would be in use, and I would be stopping the signing.

I always begin by telling them that their borrower copies, that I'm going to leave with them, include every doc they will be signing/dating and initialing. I always start out the signing with the RTC, so they will immediately know that they have 3 days to cancel after the signing. I tell them that I am unable to give my opinion or advice on any of the docs. After the RTC, I hand them the HUD and the TIL. If there is going to be a problem with the signing, you might as well get it over with at the beginning. After getting these out of the way, the signing usually moves quickly and smoothly.

Reply by BK/FL on 2/7/05 11:15pm
Msg #19720

"Remember that you are the one who controls the signing."

I agree with you 100% on your comment CarolynCo.

I have had "not so pleasant" borrowers, but I have found that once I come across strongly that I am in charge they usually warm up and we can get the signing completed.

I think the feeling of uncertainty and fear of signing is scary to most borrowers and they get nervous and sometimes exhibit abnormal behavior, then again some people are just nasty all year long!

I make it a point to inform the company that hired me of any unusual behavior that happens at the signing. I have been paid more than originally agreed upon for cases that involved screaming, jumping and extreme rude behavior and I still got them to sign! BK/FL

Reply by MelissaCT on 2/8/05 4:06pm
Msg #19808

I, too, usually start with the "usual suspects" of HUD, note, followed by RTC. I find that if the LO is doing their job, the signing goes according to plan. Nothing like facing a bwr with papers that don't reflect what they say they were told by LO...one of the "fun" parts of the job.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/10/05 1:36am
Msg #20044

For MelissaCT

Howdy, Melissa! I'm in New London Country. Where are you in CT?

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 2/7/05 7:18pm
Msg #19694

I had one a couple of months ago and no sooner had I introduced myself on the phone when this man went totally wacko; he would finally stop talking for a second and I would try to say something and he would tell me not to say another word until he was done!! I got lucky because while his home was in Riverside he wanted to sign at work in Orange County and I don't travel there so I told there would be a new notary handling the signing in Orange County. Whew!!

When I called up the company that hired me I told them the man was a total wacko and she said they would send their best notary in Orange County who was a male and warn him ahead of time.

Well, the next morning I got a call from this company and the wacko guy threathened to physically beat up the notary and also was going to sue the company. I wrote a short letter stating the problems with this guy and that's the last thing I heard.

Thank goodness that 99% of our borrowers are great or at the least are not violent.

Reply by fiKS on 2/8/05 5:34pm
Msg #19820

On the flipside....

I had a borrower recently who invited me to dinner at Mimi's Cafe before signing document. I enjoy doing what I do, but having dinner with strangers is a bit much. I politely declined and told them that I had another appointment before theirs but will be able to join them for coffee.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.