Notary Rotary
TIP: Thumb through the borrower's copy
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by BrendaTX on 2/16/05 6:22pm
Msg #20901

The borrower's copy had a stack of docs in it which also needed to be signed and returned. I would not have realized this If Madam Borrower had not felt compelled to doodle on the HUD-1.

I swapped it out and got the clean copy from her stack and that's when I found the pre-loan disclosure docs which had a BIG green sticky note on them to have them signed and return.

Live and learn!

She doodled again on another document. Had to swap again. I think she just really liked my pen and writing with it. When I got ready to leave she made a move to slide imy pen over with hers. I would have let her keep it, but it was the second attempt at pen theft by an academic I have had in a short time.

Last week another PhD blatantly swiped mine AND one from the title company I was in doing a HELOC in a title company room. Of course the title company provides them by the thousands in their closing rooms, so I am sure they had no problem with it. But, about mine...I let it go.

I would have said something except the borrower had this absolutely wonderful bass voice and a Jamaican accent. While he was taking my pen, he sandbagged me with his smile, his Jamaican charisma and a very nice parting remark. All he said was, "I have found you to be most pleasant." And, somehow, that was well worth the price of a good pen!

Now, the crazy part is that he was in his late 60's and had a wife in tow. Heaven help me if I run into a single Jamaican man my own age. I might hand over the whole bag of pens...maybe my journal... who knows!

I meet the most interesting people doing this job. That's one reason I love it.

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/16/05 7:28pm
Msg #20924

"The borrower's copy had a stack of docs in it which also needed to be signed and returned. "
Now, that's SCARY! And annoying.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/16/05 8:18pm
Msg #20931

Brenda,
Thankfully, I've only had a couple of these where Borrower's stack had docs to be returned. Why I noticed them is because the sig pages were flagged, so they stuck out.

As for the pens, I buy mine at Sams. I've started buying them 3-4 packages at a time (packaged, I think, 3 red, 4 blue, and 5 black) because borrowers rave about how wonderful they are, so I end up giving them the pen -- sometimes both the husband and wife want to keep their own pen. <g> Just another tax deduction!

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/16/05 11:20pm
Msg #20966

Hey....Brenda! Who's the Lender? (n/m)

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/17/05 8:30am
Msg #21010

Lee, email me...

I'd rather not say on the board.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.