Notary Rotary
Types of Callers
Notary Discussion History

Types of Callers
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Mysti_FL on 2/24/05 9:49pm
Msg #22278

Types of Callers

Each time I have a caller contact me and ask me how much I charge, there is no way to determine if they are an agency or a mortgage company or a signing service, etc. So, although I don't want to undercut myself. I start by telling them $100 and if they hem and haw, I bring down the price.

How do you know what price to give them when they are calling out of the blue? For instance, I have had two callers who give me a job for the same day. These are willing to pay pretty much what I ask. Then I had one that when I said $100, he said he couldn't pay that and that usually he pays $70. Well, I took it.

I have ballpark prices depending on the situation, but don't know when to choose the right one.

Does anyone else have this issue (obviously I am new at this).

Mysti

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/24/05 10:04pm
Msg #22281

*Each time I have a caller contact me and ask me how much I charge, there is no way to determine if they are an agency or a mortgage company or a signing service, etc. *

Sure there is -- just ask them.

Reply by Anonymous on 2/24/05 10:06pm
Msg #22284

What's the difference? Does one pay more than the other? I am pretty desperate for jobs right now, so I take pretty much anything?

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/24/05 10:06pm
Msg #22283

What fee do you pay for this service?

Reply by Shane_IN on 2/24/05 10:10pm
Msg #22287

Rule #1 of successfully negotiating...

Initally ask for more than what you want... If they take it, you prosper, if they offer less, you now have the advantage of being able to hear them say "We normally pay x dollars" or you take control saying "I usually can't do it for under x dollars"....and obviously you pick a little bit higher price than what they counter with.... again, if they take it...great...if not, and you are willing to work for their 1st offer, then you simply say you'll do it as a favor, in return for their repeat business.

They feel they are working with a pricey professional at a discount....and if you perform a satisfactory job, you'll hopefully get their repeat business.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/24/05 10:35pm
Msg #22309

OK, well that will pretty much guide me. I must continue to negotiate the way I have been. I just thought there was a secret I was missing. I was taught that signing agencies will typically pay $50 - $65 and Mortgage Companies, etc., pay $100-125. So, based on that I wasn't sure when to throw out what. Now, I think I realize that I should possibly continue as I have been.

Thanks for the replies!
Mysti

Reply by Shane_IN on 2/24/05 11:06pm
Msg #22329

I've never done a signing for under $75 from a signing service, and I charge Ameriquest Mortgage up to $450 per signing (3 counties away of course)... so there is a lot of wiggle room...

Typically I'm in the 100-$175 range... just depends on who it is.

Reply by Liz/MD on 2/24/05 10:15pm
Msg #22294

I don't have a fixed figure....Start with 175 and see what happens. I live in a rural area....

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/25/05 9:41am
Msg #22399

I say "What county is it in? my base fee is $75.00. Will you be overniting, I charge $25.00 extra for e-docs." Then I ask if this is a piggyback, if it is, I ask for another $35.00. I have a Title company that has pays me $125.00, but most of my signings are either 75.00 -100.00...I do negotiate after I come across confident in my fees from the beginning if I hear a gasp lol
My first signing I himmed and hawed when she asked "what are your fees?" I asked her what they paid...she says $50.00. I pointed out that she was giving me 1.5 hours notice and she automatically up'd it to $75.00

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 1:57pm
Msg #22746

I sort of (without the expertise) hem and haw like you mentioned Charm (ps, what do you mean by "piggybacking"?).

I typically start at $90 or $100 and work my way down depending on their comments. But, based on comments from a lot of the knowledgeable, experienced folks, they seem to know who they are talking to (with a few pointed questions before giving any answers?) and they seem to minimize the negotiations and still get their price.

In my case, I live in a Metropolitan city but am willing to travel to about three counties. Now, I've learned if they are requesting a same-day assignment (one lady asked me to drive about 100 miles at 6:30 for a 7:00 signing!!!), I'm going to start cranking it up to no less than $150 (I didn't take that one only because I already had one scheduled paying only $60 and $15 on emailed docs--but, the closing was also only 3 miles away--plus they contacted me the night before). But for future appointments, I have been asked to take assignment as low as $50. If they are nearby I might still accept it, I guess.

The point is, I want to earn a good living off this as supplemental to my consulting business (not related). But if they mostly call for same day, rush, end-of-the-month assignments, that may be a bit difficult!

Anyway, thanks for the input. It has been a great conversation and mind-opener.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.