Notary Rotary
Who has the final answer?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by fiKS on 2/25/05 8:11pm
Msg #22544

I posted a question about what to do when a signer has an expired ID at about 2:00am today. By 9:00 am I was on the phone with SOS office. I may post a question here but still check with SOS as soon as I could. I needed to clarify that so others don't think that I'm trying to use a short cut to get answers. I for one, agree that we should do our homework. I was 99% certain that if an ID expired within the last 5 years, it is still valid for identification purposes (per DMV). And to be 100% certain it was valid for notary purpose, I contacted the SOS.

However, I wanted to see if others had experienced this similar situation and what the lender or TC said to them. Again, each lender may have a different requirement. For this reason, any anwers to questions posted here is never taken as "gospel" by me.

We are here to share experiences, but we must always be aware not to use other notary's experience as the final answer to our question.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/25/05 8:21pm
Msg #22546

So, what did your SoS say? n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/25/05 8:26pm
Msg #22547

Don't you mean "issued within the last 5 years" not "expired within the last 5 years"

Reply by fiKS on 2/25/05 8:43pm
Msg #22555

Expired within last 5 years. If you go to a DMV with an out of state ID, you can use previous state ID that expired 5 years or less as your current ID in order to apply for new state ID. Mind you, this refers to Kansas only. Of course, if the ID is a driver's license, the D/L holder is carrying an expired license to drive.

Ernest - SOS said pretty much the same as above. As long as the expired ID was not canceled (with a hole punched or corner cut off). Canceled ID could mean that a new ID with a different name has been issued.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/25/05 8:47pm
Msg #22558

Thanks! n/m

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/25/05 8:46pm
Msg #22556

Good for you. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.