Notary Rotary
Wow! Almost got dead!
Notary Discussion History

Wow! Almost got dead!
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Korey Humphreys on 2/28/05 1:04pm
Msg #22860

Wow! Almost got dead!

One of the duties of a Massachusetts Notary Public is to issue subpoenas and court summonses upon request of anyone who has a case pending....... Well this morning I got a call to issue a subponea for an uncontested divorce case. I had to command the person to whom it was directed to appear before me and testify on "unclear" things regarding the pending divorce, and to bring with him some paperwork (Subpoena Ad Testificandum).

Now I offer three services, that is (1) notary public (2) Process Server and (3) Various Paralegal Services........... Therefore, after I issued the order as a notary, I then served it as a disinterested Process Server........... upon serving it.... the UNCONTESTED divorce subpoena, the gentlemen literally ran after me! I did run away, jumping over buildings and cars...... okay thats an exageration....... However, I did start to run though at the beginning to give me time to dig through my pockets to grab my mace, and too see if he'd back off. HE DIDN'T!!

When I digged out my mace, I abruptly turned around and warned him not to come any further. He didn't listen......... so to protect myself....... I used my mace for the first time... THANK GOD IT SPRAYED AND WORKED!!!!!!

After spraying him I got on my cell phone and called the police. They came, I told them I was a Public Officer and a Process Server, explained my story and what happened......... showed my License to carry chemical spray's................ and I was cleared. The gentlemen however was arrested for Assault to Public Employee, and Intimadation. Assault because he didn't physically touch me, but he sure as hell put me in fear for my safety!

Anyway, that was an amazing rush!! I thought I'd share that with you. I hope I'm never in that situation again!

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 2/28/05 1:24pm
Msg #22864

Everyone should read this ..

Thanks for posting. This is one reason many people may not want to be process servers. Situations like yours are part of the job.

A criminal defense attorney that I used to work with used a very large, licensed to carry a gun, private detective as a process server. Needless to say, many people did not want to be served ... and some just did not want to be found.

His partner also handed divorces ... even the uncontested ones often became very messy when it came to dividing up the money (aka assets).

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/28/05 1:25pm
Msg #22867

exactly why I don't mess with it...n/m

Reply by Melody on 2/28/05 4:34pm
Msg #22899

Re: exactly why I don't mess with it. SAME HERE! n/m

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 2/28/05 2:17pm
Msg #22879

Re: Everyone should read this ..

I've been doing process serving for a couple of years now, and this is the first time I encountered any problems.

Normally my mace is easily accessible when I serve people, however this time I had it "deep" in my pockets because I assumed that this was an easy service because it was an uncontested divorce. I could see if it were contested whereas one of the parties don't want the divorce.

Boy was I mistaken though!!! Thank god my fat butt could move!! LOL Smiley

Reply by Wow.... on 2/28/05 2:54pm
Msg #22884

Korey, you are a hoot! Smiley

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/28/05 8:49pm
Msg #22943

Another reason why family law attorneys have silent buzzers that go directly to the police. You're right, Bobbi -- any divorce can become quite heated, and a perfectly normal and healthy person can break. Most of my family law attorneys deal with high profile cases. These divorces are very similar to the breakup of corporations.

Reply by linda on 2/28/05 1:25pm
Msg #22866

And I thought last weeks situation for me was bad. OH MY GOD!

Reply by ColleenCA on 2/28/05 1:43pm
Msg #22869

Wow, that is very scary! I'm glad to hear that you were not hurt! There are some real crazy people out there.

Reply by Ted_MI on 2/28/05 2:55pm
Msg #22885

Korey,

You said "a gentleman literally ran after" you. Quite a gentleman.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/28/05 3:12pm
Msg #22890

I had a signing ones where the husband was beiing taken off the deed. They were going through a nasty divorce where the hubby had hooked up with a younger woman and the womans credit was beiing ruined and her only way out was to take the hubby,s name off everything to safe her credit. I was terrified they were aruing and the man looked like he was going to explode at any time, then after he left i was stuck with the woman crying and in histerics had to sit with her for a while to try and calm her down. The things we go through in this business.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/1/05 12:25pm
Msg #23063

To ERNA_CA

You are to be commended for going above and beyond when you stuck with the woman for a while when she needed company. There are many times in life when we can make a big difference just by being there and listening. Often people don't expect strangers to fix their problems, they just want a non-judgemental ear.

I'm not suggesting that we try to be therapists; just that we have the same compassion that ERNA_CA did.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/1/05 3:25pm
Msg #23106

Re: To ERNA_CA

To lend an ear and show compasison dosnt cost anything. Life can through us some nasty curves at time and you are so right, it can help ease the pain just to have someone lissen and not to mention a hugg is woth gold. I have ran into this a few times and i allways try and calm them down before leving, least I can do. Glad to met another fellow of compassion. Smiley

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/1/05 3:26pm
Msg #23107

Re:To Ernest.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/1/05 3:33pm
Msg #23111

Re: To ERNA_CA .To Ernest a fellow of compassion

MY post to you was to be To Ernest. Sorry
Multitasking here Smiley

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 2/28/05 3:48pm
Msg #22896

This is supporting documentation to my feelings that I posted a few weeks ago on being a Process Server.
The individuals one deals with are not getting a loan and happy, they are being served papers, and are generally angry rather than laid back.

Reply by Pooh/Ca on 3/1/05 12:04am
Msg #22969

I am in total agreement with all of you, but no job is worth risking your life just to serve papers to someone you don't even know. Even if the moneys good unless you are prepared for handling the consequences that go along with the job. There are alot of crazies out there
so please be careful and stay safe.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.