Notary Rotary
missed initials
Notary Discussion History

missed initials
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by kellieco on 2/20/05 8:54am
Msg #21497

missed initials

What do you do when youv'e missed getting a doc initialed and the borrowers are 40 miles away?

Reply by Mike/NJ on 2/20/05 9:00am
Msg #21498

Have a nice trip..

Reply by LawrenceOK on 2/20/05 9:10am
Msg #21500

What docs are they missing on and how many are missing? Just to be safe, I think I would take Mikes advise. Bye see ya later!

Reply by Art_MD on 2/20/05 9:36am
Msg #21503

It depends on the doc. Some companies add a line on the W-9 instructions and the 4x06T form for initials. If I missed them, I'd forget it. There are several other docs where I 'd say forget it.

Which one in this case?

Art

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/20/05 10:04am
Msg #21515

Art_MD

I am new to this business so I am introducing myself to other Notaries in this area and asking them questions about just such things as initials. So, the timing of this question is good. I met a Notary the other day who told me He has the signer initial every page even if it is not required. The reason is two fold. 1. It protects the signer by not letting anyone try to insert any documents that He did not see. 2. It protects the Notary by letting the lender see he showed the borrower every page of the document.

I don't know if this helps or not but its just food for thought.

Reggie

Reply by Ted_MI on 2/20/05 11:39am
Msg #21519

Reggie,

I think the practice that you have described would be rather time-consuming and really isn't that necessary. Whether any lender would object to it I really don't know. The main thing I focus on is the mortgage (or I suppose elsewhere the Deed of Trust), particularly the pages before the signature page plus whatever other documents upon which it is clearly indicated (by a line, etc.)

As far as point two of the rationale, I don't really think it is that important to prove to the lender that the borrower saw every page of every document. I mean the borrower is receiving a set of the documents.

Keep in mind that one objective of gaining expereince is not only knowing what to do but being able to handle the signings in an efficient matter.

A suggestion - when you post you might want to indicate what state you are from, say you could be Reggie - Tx., say if you were from Texas. That helps those responding to your posts.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/20/05 1:40pm
Msg #21527

I allways have borrowers initial every page. I was advised to do so when i first started out, by a notary that had been doing loan signings for a long time. But we all have our own way of doing things and if not sure it is allways good to ask the party that gives you the assignment.

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/20/05 4:02pm
Msg #21537

why are we deciding what to initial? I always do what the SS says to do. This isn't the first time I've seen posts advising to initial every page - why are you taking it upon yourselves to change the rules? Am I missing something here?

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/20/05 5:14pm
Msg #21546

Did I miss something?
I thought this was a forum for posting ones thoughts on a subject. Not the same as deciding anything for anyone. Or should one refrain from input in case it ofends someone? Smiley

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/20/05 6:04pm
Msg #21551

no...I wouldn't worry about offending someone. I'd worry about posters giving advice that goes against what their assignment says. When I am at a signing table, I will follow the instructions that come with the package, no company, so far, has told me to have the borrower(s) initial every single page....I think it's just silly that the notaries takes it upon themselves thinking that somehow it's going to add protection to anything.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/20/05 5:49pm
Msg #21549

Ah...the old "Missed Initials Life Lesson."

Check with the title co/ss/lender (whichever is appropriate) about the importance of the ones missed.

If you have to go back, you will never, ever, ever forget again. If you do not have to return, the mere fear of having to re-trace these steps may be enough to achieve the same thing. Rather than feeling negative about it, chalk it up to a Lesson Well Learned, and Experience.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/20/05 10:18pm
Msg #21576

Don't even ask. Just go back.

We all learn from our mistakes. This is one you'll never make again.

You admitted here that it was your mistake. Calling and then going back to the borrower will show the borrower that you take your job seriously. If you contact the signing service, you may (rightly!) be perceived as whining. If I were the SS, I'd send you back anyway.

Reply by Jon on 2/21/05 11:13am
Msg #21611

Re: Don't even ask. Just go back.

I'm with Ernest and the others that said go back. Yes it's a pain and very inconvenient, but it is your responsibility to do it right.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.