Notary Rotary
reasonable fees
Notary Discussion History

reasonable fees
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Polly on 2/5/05 11:22pm
Msg #19541

reasonable fees

Hey all, I tried looking for an answer to my question using the search feature but was unsuccessfull, so here it is... I'm just starting out as a notary and signing agent and I'm not sure what I should charge. I don't want to charge too much, since I'm not experienced. Also what is a reasonable maximum distance to travel when meeting clients?

Reply by Ernest Adams on 2/5/05 11:36pm
Msg #19543

Please consult the notary public manual for your state to determine the maximum fees allowed for notarial acts.

There are many postings here discussing signing agent fees. You should begin by reading all the posts. Yes, ALL of them, back to the beginning. When you have done that, please post any questions that remain.

Please include some indication of your state in your "Author" name. It will help everyone. There are a lot of people who will not reply to an anonymous post or a poster who does not specify her state of residence.

Good luck!

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/5/05 11:38pm
Msg #19544

Oops!

I posted when logged in, so my state did not appear. This post has an example of a name containing a state identification.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/6/05 7:17am
Msg #19547

Re: Oops!

You can still post your name and state (as I have in this post) while being logged on. Just go to your profile and change the alias in the "Forums Options". Then you can use that alias as the "Author".

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/6/05 10:05am
Msg #19553

Polly,
By reading past messages, you will find that "minimum" signing fee should be no LOWER than $50.00. There are several $50 SS to cut your teeth on and gain the experience. This fee is for docs overnighted to you. You will have to come up with an additional price for e-docs -- and no, you can't get away from having a LASER printer -- an inkjet printer is unacceptable. You are the only one who can determine a reasonable maximum distance to travel. Distance alone is not the only factor. In some areas a signing can be 10 miles away, but it takes 30-45 minutes to get there.

As has been pointed out already, you need to not only read, but understand and know your own state's notary handbook. In it, you will find your state's allowable fee for general notarizations.

Reply by Polly on 2/6/05 4:49pm
Msg #19577

The question about fees was only pertaining to signing fees not notary fees. Also I see what you're saying about the number of miles vs. the actual amount of time it takes to travel to the client.

P.S. I'm in Ca.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/6/05 5:44pm
Msg #19578

It doesn't hurt to know the allowable general notary rates either. I get several calls for general notarizations that are not loan related.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/6/05 6:02pm
Msg #19581

Re: P.S. Polly

You might want to add CA to your name so people will know immediately where you are from, and you will fair much better in getting responses, too.

Reply by Polly_CA on 2/6/05 6:40pm
Msg #19585

Thanks alot Carolyn I appreciate any and all information and suggestions, especially from someone with your experience. And as you can see I've updated my profile so that CA is now part of my name. ;)

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/7/05 8:45pm
Msg #19703

You're quite welcome, Polly. I do believe having the CA after your name will pay off for you in the long run.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.