Notary Rotary
Curious
Notary Discussion History

Curious
Go Back to January, 2005 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 1/20/05 5:05pm
Msg #17520

Curious

I haven't traveled much in my life; the only foreign countries I have been to are Mexico and California. Does anyone know whether European nations offer an office similar to a notary public, and what they are generally called? Just curious.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 1/20/05 5:14pm
Msg #17521

Re: Curiousity killed the cat ... English notaries -

All Notaries in England exercise the important public office and duty of preparing and authenticating legal documents and creating or affecting rights, duties, and obligations outside of England. The notarial system outside of England is an integral part of the legal structure of many European countries’ jurisdictions, which were founded on civil law, not common law.

General Notaries

General Notaries are permitted to practice in all areas of England, except a specified area within Central London. The General Notary prepares contracts, conveyancing documentation, and instruments that are required for all purposes with respect to land; he/she also draws and prepares instruments to found or oppose grants of probate or Letters of Administration and takes oaths and statutory declarations. As is the case with Notaries in BC, General Notaries share this type of work with Solicitors.

Scrivener Notaries

Scrivener Notaries, which number approximately 27 individuals, are only permitted to practice within a three-mile radius of Central London. In addition to having professional training in English Law, the Scrivener Notary must be proficient in at least two foreign languages, and be familiar with the principles and practice of foreign law. The Scrivener Notary prepares documents such as contracts, mortgages, powers of attorney, articles of incorporation, Wills, and other documentation intended to be used Abroad.

By virtue of the Scrivener Notary’s training in foreign law and languages, and the familiarity acquired through practical experience of procedures in other countries, he/she is well qualified to handle legal affairs spanning various jurisdictions. The documents prepared and attested by the Scrivener Notary are often both drawn and authenticated in the language and form of the country in which they are intended to be used. Documents in public or authentic form are kept in protocols or registers, similar to those of Notaries in civil law countries.

In most jurisdictions outside North America, Notaries Public are viewed as trusted individuals whose knowledge and expertise in their fields of law are vital to the system of law and order. When you visit a Notary’s office to have your signature witnessed, remember that it is the Notary’s signature that verifies the authenticity of the document or the signatory to the document. Without Notaries performing this vital function, the potential for fraud and deceit would be significant.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 1/20/05 5:22pm
Msg #17522

Re: Curiousity killed the cat ... BC notaries -

BC Notaries are governed by the Notaries Act of BC and the discipline of their professional society. Today, the position of Notary as a member of one of the branches of the legal profession is sanctioned and safeguarded by law. BC Notaries are unique in North America, providing non-contentious legal services to the public.

The Notaries Act also limits, by law, the number of practising Notaries to 323; it sets out the services that Notaries can provide.

The Society receives over 1600 application inquiries from the public annually! On average 20 - 25 students per year are selected.

The professional work of a Notary is covered by an insurance plan which protects the public.

The average age of a BC Notary is 43; 55 percent are women.

BC’s Notaries reflect many ethnic backgrounds and languages.

Notaries in BC put a high priority on service to their local communities. Over one-third are involved in fundraising and social service, over one-third in business associations, and more than 30 percent are active in youth sports and recreation.

*** This information lifted from http://www.notaries.bc.ca/about/

For further information, contact:
THE SOCIETY OF NOTARIES PUBLIC
1220 - 625 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 2T6
PHONE: (604) 681-4516
FAX: (604) 681-7258

Reply by HisHughness on 1/20/05 5:38pm
Msg #17525

Thanks, Paul.

Should not at least half a dozen people have posted telling me I should do my research on-line before I ask such a question on this forum? What a wasted opportunity to flog the flogger!

Reply by Jon on 1/20/05 6:17pm
Msg #17529

You didn't give me a chance.

Why don't you take your pompous, condescending attitude, that you so flagrantly exhibit on this forum, and take your own advice to do a simple search on google!! The lack of your willingness to research such a whimsical and unneccessary question, which has no place on this board I might add, only shows the depths of your hypocrisy. You wouldn't be a Democrat by chance, would you???? ;)

BTW, anybody have any interesting info on IP addresses?? If you do, please direct all responses to HisHughness.

There you go Hugh, my contibution to the flogging!!

Reply by HisHughness on 1/20/05 6:54pm
Msg #17536

Jon pontificates:

***Why don't you take your pompous, condescending attitude, that you so flagrantly exhibit on this forum, and take your own advice to do a simple search on google!! The lack of your willingness to research such a whimsical and unneccessary question, which has no place on this board I might add, only shows the depths of your hypocrisy. You wouldn't be a Democrat by chance, would you???? ;)

BTW, anybody have any interesting info on IP addresses?? If you do, please direct all responses to HisHughness.***

Have you perchance given some thought to posting under the handle "JoniNotary"?

Reply by Becca/FL on 1/20/05 6:58pm
Msg #17537

HisHughness inquires of Jon:

Have you perchance given some thought to posting under the handle "JoniNotary"?

Hmm...sounds dangerous to me.

Reply by Becca/FL on 1/20/05 6:42pm
Msg #17532

What's wrong with you, Hugh?????? Has your Google floogled??

Floogled: A/K/A gone Flooey...works for me and it rhymes.

Reply by andy_MD on 1/21/05 8:52am
Msg #17580

Maybe Jon should go by porta-jon

Reply by Jon on 1/21/05 10:40am
Msg #17589

Coming to Hugh's defense?? And they say chivalry is dead!! Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.