Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
How many of you turn off your cell phone at signing table?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2005 Index

Posted by fiKS on 1/26/05 6:03pm
Msg #18287

I've read some companies requirement for signing agents to turn off their cell phone while at a signing table. Do SAs really do this? I'm curious because I've missed several calls from potential clients when I couldn't get to the phone on time and usually by the time you call them back (using caller ID), the job's been filled or they cannot trace the caller.

Nowadays, my cell phone has become a part of my body. I wear it night and day.

See, I'm new and I don't want to miss a single opportunity but I wondered if most SAs actually ignore incoming calls when they're at a signing table.

Reply by jlynn MN on 1/26/05 6:07pm
Msg #18288

I never bring my cellphone into a borrowers home , unless I need to call the loan officer. And then I make sure the ringer is shut off.
You could always leave a message on your phone that you are away from your phone or in a closing and will return the call within the hour. Just an Idea

Reply by CarolynCO on 1/26/05 7:07pm
Msg #18300

Re: It's never turned off

I would never think of *not* taking my phone into a borrowers home, or turning if off once I was inside. As for SS's calling during a signing, I simply tell them that I am in the middle of a signing as we speak, and that I will be able to discuss their signing with them in approximately "X" minutes -- 99% of them call back.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 1/26/05 6:10pm
Msg #18289

Mine is NEVER Off!

It's ALWAYS on for all the reasons you've just mentioned!

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 1/26/05 6:12pm
Msg #18290

Re: Mine is NEVER Off!

I put my cell on vibrate. I find that if I get distracted, that some of my borrowers will not initial somewhere or not sign their name as it appear. I like to be hands on so that I don't miss anything. Even though I check the packet at the table and at the shipment location, I just find that most people only follow instructions when watched carefully :-)

Reply by joe/nc on 1/26/05 11:15pm
Msg #18327

Just as the previous post said I rely on this for business and always have it on. I always excuse myself and make it quick, I got a call tonite at a signing and it was for one for tomorrow and I did not have anything scheduled, this is why.
If Its personal I just tell them cant talk I will call you back, no one ever seems to mind.

Joe/NC

Reply by Roger/OH on 1/27/05 12:06am
Msg #18329

Same for me; every call is the ring of the cash register, and I'm not about to miss an assignment. As Joe said, I handle it quickly and courteously - never a problem.

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/26/05 6:13pm
Msg #18291

I always have mine on me and will say "excuse me" and answer it if it's a business call. Nobody has ever minded and the calls usually last less than a minute. There's no reason we should have to miss out on getting jobs just because we're doing a signing.

Reply by Kari on 1/26/05 6:34pm
Msg #18294

I don't turn off

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 1/26/05 6:41pm
Msg #18295

Always keep your cell phone on!!

Title & Signing companies who hire Notaries just move to the next Notary on their list. I don't take any personal calls at a signing, just tell them I'll call them back when I'm finished.

The only time I have shut my phone off is at one signing when it rang 4 times and both the borrowers and myself were tired of it ringing.

Reply by fiKS on 1/26/05 6:45pm
Msg #18296

Don't answer the phone, don't work for others, here's $50.00

I have the same thoughts.

SS companies should be more reasonable. They want us to turn off our phones and apply no-compete clauses in their agreements. We are freelance signing agents, we should have the freedom to accept jobs from anyone. Names of companies who hire our services are readily available online. It's not as if we are stealing names from SS companies. Why should I limit myself exclusively to a few SS if they don't commit to providing me with enough income? They want me to starve on $50 signings impose restrictions as to who I should work for.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing SS companies. I just feel that some of them need to rethink the policies they impose on hard working signing agents, who are trying to make decent and legit income.

Reply by Dotti_CA on 1/26/05 8:18pm
Msg #18306

I accept business calls during signings since they are usually short. My cell phone is on every day but Sundays and since I'm not a 24/7 kinda gal I turn it off at 9PM daily. Dotti

Reply by BrendaTX on 1/26/05 7:57pm
Msg #18302

Sometimes I don't take the calls, it just depends n/m

Reply by sue on 1/27/05 10:32am
Msg #18383

same here

I set mine to ring once before going in. If my borrowers were ready for me, are signing away with no problems, I don't answer. Yes, it has cost me plenty of business and I then want to kick myself. If borrowers aren't ready, aren't paying attention, don't know the details of their loan, fooling with kids/pets, 'just want to get this in the oven', etc., I answer, especially when they RUN to answer their own phone.

Reply by BrendaTX on 1/27/05 10:56am
Msg #18387

Re: same here

That's the way I do, as well, Sue.

If they are "engaged" I remain engaged. I used to miss business because of not having the phone joined to my hip, but now I find that a message is left because most of my clients know that I will call them back within the hour.

Since I do mostly repeat business, I don't want to offend those that I work for consistently by appearing unattentive to the assignment at hand.

Reply by BrendaKhan/FL on 1/27/05 10:52am
Msg #18385

My cell phone is my business connection. I never turn mine off and as already mentioned several times, if I do get a call during a signing, I excuse myself, make it short and get right back into the signing. BK-FL

Reply by Robert E (Bob) Rogers on 1/27/05 11:54am
Msg #18401

Always...How would you feel, if you were closing on a loan and the agent stopped every few minutes to take phone calls. Not at all professional. So you miss an assignment, that goes with the territory.

Are you one of those persons who also take your phone into the restaurant and let the whole world know your private business? If not, how do you feel about those who do?

Reply by BrendaKhan/FL on 1/27/05 12:06pm
Msg #18413

Bob said-
Are you one of those persons who also take your phone into the restaurant and let the whole world know your private business? If not, how do you feel about those who do?

I think that you are misunderstanding those people that talk LOUD enough to be over heard on their cell phone as trying to hide anything! These are usually the type of people who want to feel special and want the whole world to know their business!

I can get an assignment with simple yes or no answers in a normal talking tone which keeps my business exactly that...my business! BK-FL

Reply by lawrenceOK on 1/27/05 12:14pm
Msg #18418

Mine is always ON. How long does it take to say fax the confirmation to my office.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 1/27/05 1:23pm
Msg #18433

Re: How many of you turn off your cell phone at signing tabl

"Every few minutes" would not be tolerable. However, once or twice, if the agent was considerate and professional in handling the call, it's not a problem in my book. Our "office" is in their home and prudent and professional use of our tools should be expected.

This means that you don't take "personal" calls while at the table, and certainly be as brief as possible. I've never had anyone complain about the use of my cell phone while at the table.

I do keep my phone ON while in a restaurant, shopping, almost every place that I go. Talking on the phone isn't any more "broadcasting my business" than talking to someone sitting across the table from me. I only get irritated when people talk LOUDLY on the phone. Then it can be annoying while eating.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.