Notary Rotary
Is it just me.....
Notary Discussion History

Is it just me.....
Go Back to January, 2005 Index

Posted by sloan88 on 1/10/05 9:46pm
Msg #16160

Is it just me.....

or is a signing with over 300 pages a bit much?!?!?
Hi everyone - I'm new to this board. I love reading the stories!
I was asked to do a signing at around noon today for 6 this evening. I was an edocs signing. So, I agree. By 4pm, I have no docs. Finally, around 4:15 I begin receiving emails with PDF attachments. In total, I received more than 12 emails with attachments totaling over 300 pages - most of which required a signature (or looked to anyway). Of course I cannot get in touch with anyone from the company that sent me all this and I am still printing almost two hours after I was supposed to be there!
Have any of you dealt with signings this ludicrous? What did you do?????
Thanks
Sloan (WA)

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/10/05 11:06pm
Msg #16169

I've never had a loan package anywhere that size. My largest has been about 150 pages.

Reply by BrendaKhan on 1/10/05 11:17pm
Msg #16172

"or is a signing with over 300 pages a bit much?!?!?"

Did you check to see if this was just duplicate copies? I had one title company send me a large file like that once to find they send me 2 copies of everything, borrowers copies. I guess they figured I could not comprehend how to hit the print button twice!!

My largest complete one copy of a package was appx. 150 pages. Best of Luck! BK-FL

Reply by HisHughness on 1/10/05 11:20pm
Msg #16173

I's sorry, Sloan, but I haven't seen you post before. If this question sounds patronizing, it is only because I don't have any idea what your level of experience is. Are you sure you weren't printing out both your copy and the borrower's copy? If everything was on letter-size stock, and the packet was really large, the two together would run about 300 pages if it was a VA loan and was for a state with really quirky real estate laws, like Texas, that require several additional documents.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/10/05 11:20pm
Msg #16174

I's sorry, Sloan, but I haven't seen you post before. If this question sounds patronizing, it is only because I don't have any idea what your level of experience is. Are you sure you weren't printing out both your copy and the borrower's copy? If everything was on letter-size stock, and the packet was really large, the two together would run about 300 pages if it was a VA loan and was for a state with really quirky real estate laws, like Texas, that require several additional documents.

Reply by sloan88 on 1/11/05 12:49am
Msg #16187

No problem - that is a good question. I have been doing closings for about two years, and I am an attorney (not specializing in real estate law though!). It was just very odd to me - they definitely were not duplicates. The docs included the regulars for a refinance. But there were tons of docs that required the borrower to complete pretty detailed forms, as if they were completing the loan origination forms. I would have ditched those, but the emails containing those docs said to have them signed. Anyway, I talked to the borrower's loan broker in New York as I could not reach anyone from the signing service that hired me and he told me to quit for the night. So, after over three hours of printing, organizing, checking for duplicates, etc. I just came home. I know they are going to want me to get on it first thing in the morning, but I don't think they will be priority number 1. This is the reason I hate edocs - they always turn into such a mess! I can't believe how the signing companies try to blow off the edocs service, acting like it's not worth extra money. Do they have any idea how long it takes to prepare the edocs????
Sorry - just venting. I'm really not a big whiner, I was just amazed by this. Particularly because when I was told it would be an edoc closing, I asked how many pages approximately and was told "about 70 tops."
Would you tell the service that your fee will be increased to include all the wasted/additional time and stress?

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 1/11/05 4:41am
Msg #16196

Yes, I'd Make an Attempt to Increase My Fee!

If you specifically asked the question of the scheduler as to the # of pages in the e-doc package & it turned out to be 3 times what they stated...in my opinion you have every right to ask for more. Whether you'll get it is another story. It depends on the integrity of the company you're dealing with.

Reply by Happy in Fl on 1/11/05 4:54am
Msg #16203

Sloan88 stated, "there were tons of docs that required the borrower to complete pretty detailed forms...." etc.

Last evening- first time mind you, a 99 page Refi--that had 3 pages of Questions for Borrower to place initials adjacent to appropriate applicable response-- Borrower said "I gave them all this info. once--now they ask the same things again- I'm beginning to feel like a Criminal".

This package came down E-Docs -(though I accepted the assignment on Friday)- came thru Title Co. 1/2 hour before scheduled appt.- which went from 2pm to 1pm to 4 pm to finally 6pm.

It was an all day affair--then the Borrower instead of meeting at her house- had to meet me on other side of town at her daughters home- because she was baby-sitting a grandchild..

It matters not if it's a 125 page doc- printing out 2 sets- or a 50 page doc-printing out 2 sets-- you still have all the baggage of copying- recording the info for your records- invoicing- mail backs and many other in between items to cover--Thats why we have to be charging the higher fees-or it just doesn't pay..

But you win the award for "Most Pages" this ol Guy ever heard of! LOL today..Hope the Borrower doesn't want to scrutinze them to closely or you may want to bring along a Brown Bag and Thermos of Coffee.!

Reply by Joan-OH on 1/11/05 8:00am
Msg #16213

70 pages tops seems to be their pat answer.....

A new to me company told me that last week and it was 120 pages. I ask who the lender is to get an idea what kind of package size and they always claim to not know. I find that hard to believe when I am speaking to a title company.

300 pages is outrageous!

Reply by sue on 1/11/05 8:39am
Msg #16219

although I don't think I've ever had 300 pages, sounds like you've got the predisclosure broker docs (these can be up to 50 pages it seems). Were there 4 or 5 copies of the 1003, TIL, GFE, etc? if so, that's what all that crap was.

I'm not sure what would take so long to print. With the right equipment, even 300 pages x 2 shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour or so to print. as for organizing, print one copy for signature, one for borrower. I'm not sure what you mean about organizing.

Sounds like you just got one of those rotten deals out there. I wish a string of $125 HELOCs come your way the rest of the week!!

Reply by sloan88 on 1/11/05 8:41pm
Msg #16289

The docs were not scanned properly and were not of any normal paper size, so it took a long time to set them up to print properly. By organizing, with that many docs, I need to make sure I have all the proper copies. Also, I like to be aware of where and what the borrower needs to do before I get there! My computer prints some pdf jobs very fast and others very slow for some reason.

Reply by Ted_MI on 1/11/05 8:37pm
Msg #16288

Sloan,

By way of background, fyi Hugh aka "his hughness" is an attorney also.

Reply by CarolynCO on 1/11/05 8:43pm
Msg #16290

Sometimes I've received e-docs that ended up being a first and a second. When I've called the SS on this, they acted completely shocked and knew nothing about two loans, or maybe they lied through their teeth -- at any rate, I have always been compensated for the additional docs.

Reply by CarolynCO on 1/11/05 8:48pm
Msg #16292

after reading down further, I realize that this was just one loan. I'd still go after additional money though. Have you signed for this SS before?

Reply by jand2005 on 1/11/05 11:04am
Msg #16233

No, It is not just you. This December I got several large documents and it puts my computer into shock mode. I had to take my lap top to Kinkos to print the document because my Lasor
Printer wasn't working properly. It cost me $74.00 just to print. I had several 1st and 2nd Mortgages. While negotiating fees we have to ask more questions, because they won't tell you outright the truth. The scheduler's just say they don't know. Baloney!! You sound like you care what you are trying to accomplish.

Reply by BrendaTX on 1/11/05 1:31pm
Msg #16245

One of my laser printers gets cranky with PDFs if it's one of those improperly scanned 11 MB files with 79 pages.

If I just hit print like I always do, it will print 6-20 pages and terminate the print job saying that other systems are taking up too many resources..

This particular Canon laser/printer copier prints right side up.

So...I reverse the order, it spools the whole job first, then prints out correctly without showing it's little passive aggressive stubborn streak.

My HP 3015 will turn them out either way--doesn't care about the size.

- - - - -
About the page count, my largest has been 225 in a HELOC.

However, I have had 150 pages x 2 = 300 total in a package when both copies were scanned in for whatever reason.

Reply by CarolynCO on 1/11/05 8:37pm
Msg #16287

**or is a signing with over 300 pages a bit much?!?!?**

From my experience, this is definitely the exception and not the norm.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.