Notary Rotary
LiveScan in NorCal
Notary Discussion History

LiveScan in NorCal
Go Back to January, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul-CA on 1/18/05 7:36pm
Msg #17255

LiveScan in NorCal

Anyone know how long the Livescan process actually takes in northern California? I'm seeing guestimates of up to 8 weeks. I'll have starved by then..., and who knows how long Deadscans take!!! ;)

Reply by mike/ca on 1/18/05 10:44pm
Msg #17278

sad to say they can take up to 8 weeks- depending on how busy they are. a fellow notary down here took 10 weeks

Reply by Dave_CA on 1/19/05 10:26am
Msg #17316

I took my test on Nov. 9th and my live scan as soon as I got the letter. I received my comission on Jan. 15th.
I mention the test date as that is what the SoS office will as for if you call them to check on when you might expect the background check to be complete.
I used the intervening time to study this and other forums and to do a lot of preliminary marketing; brochures, website, etc.
Try not to starve but I would not bank on the state moving any faster than this.

Reply by Paul-CA on 1/19/05 10:39am
Msg #17318

That's not the news I was hoping for, but thanks all the same. Not quite sure how to approach marketing a service I can't provide, but at least I'll have plenty of time to figure it out.

Reply by Paul-CA on 1/19/05 11:50am
Msg #17328

UPDATE - where's the delay?

According to the State Attorney General's office:

"Live Scan technology allows digitally scanned fingerprints to be submitted electronically to the Department of Justice within a matter of minutes and allows criminal background checks to be processed usually within 72 hours."

(source: http://caag.state.ca.us/fingerprints/index.htm - top right corner of web page)

How is a 72 hour turnaround time getting stretched to 8-12 weeks? Somebody is sitting on the results. Any ideas? Having not gone through this yet, who is the actual requestor/recipient of the background check? The SOS?

Reply by Fay, CA on 1/19/05 3:34pm
Msg #17356

It took me 3 months to get my fingerprint commission from SOS - Sacramento. It took me 2 months to receive an apostille that I requested from them for the country of Mexico. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to receive your notary commission from SOS. And ad nauseum. I can only attribute this to personnel layoffs so that they are sorely understaffed.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.