Notary Rotary
Newbee
Notary Discussion History

Newbee
Go Back to January, 2005 Index

Posted by ACC on 1/1/05 2:23am
Msg #15152

Newbee

Looking for a mentor in the Central TX area (Temple, Killeen) have read most of the forum treads. Looking for good training/advice. Signed up with NNA but have not yet purchased the course. Just received my commission and stamp (need to take the oath) and ready to dive in. Have joined numerous discussion boards, web sites and am seeking knowledge.

Please contact
[e-mail address]

Reply by BrendaTX on 1/1/05 6:10am
Msg #15155

ACC:

I want you to know that I am not ignoring your post! Welcome!

I am pretty busy with another notary from Texas who just got started. I have been her mentor the past month/six weeks and I know my limitations. It would be another month before I'd feel that I could do you justice.

However, there are several others in Texas who read this board and I am sure one of them will be getting with you if they haven't already. I know that what I have gotten out of mentoring a notary three hours away has given me back a great deal in return.

Also, I'd like to throw out there that if we don't mentor new people and they learn things the wrong way it puts our Texas Signing Agent jobs in jeopardy, so mentoring is a very good thing to do. While perhaps a badly trained signing agent will kick jobs back to us, in the overall scheme of things, the right mistake will create a reason to stop the signing agent business period.

And, as a result of mentoring my person, I don't think anyone has known that she was new so she started out with my own base fee as hers. Thus, we keep the fees up.

ACC, you can email me if you don't get a response and I'll help you all that I can. However, please understand that a good mentor would want for you to get the best start possible.

www.signingregistry.com has a wonderful group and a mentoring program.

Brenda

Reply by BrendaTX on 1/1/05 10:24am
Msg #15166

Slight correction...

Actually, if you are interested in the Signing Registry Mentoring program - Here is the SR Portal Page -

http://www.SigningRegistry.info

I believe the other will get you there eventually, but this is where I really should have pointed you.

Reply by kcNot_KS on 1/1/05 6:18pm
Msg #15183

Re: Slight correction...

Hi Brenda: I am a new NSA. Your post caught my eye and I logged on SigningRegistry. However, in order to get a mentor, you need to join the registry. But in order to become a member you have to done at least 12 signings. This is a catch 22 situation.

Reply by BrendaTX on 1/1/05 6:26pm
Msg #15185

Kc - Explaining...

Please go back and read "need a mentor?" at www.signingregistry.info.

Until you have 12 under your belt they will not >>>LIST<<<< a member profile. But, you can still join.

Stated on the website: Members do not have to be experienced in loan signing to join the SR.

I understand how you might be confused. I have referred several people to the SR who wondered about this and emailed me the same question.

Perhaps if anyone else has a question in their mind, now they know!

Reply by kcNot_KS on 1/2/05 12:58am
Msg #15198

Re: Kc - Explaining...

Ok Brenda, I see it. I was too hasty the first time. Thanks a mucho grande!

Reply by Julie/KS on 1/2/05 7:28pm
Msg #15248

I tried to get a mentor from SR when I first became an NSA and no one ever responded.

Reply by BrendaTX on 1/2/05 8:25pm
Msg #15254

Sorry to hear that Julie. It's good to get all the reports in on the same so we'll hear all sides. Maybe someone with more knowledge about the mentor program can point others in the right direction regarding the situation.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 1/2/05 9:10pm
Msg #15259

Please see my reply to Julie for further details.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 1/2/05 9:09pm
Msg #15258

Julie.... How long ago was that? The SR mentor program, though not new, really wasn't monitored and administered as well as it has been the past 6 or 7 months. There are dedicated mentors as part of the SR. I am happy to say that all mentor requests (that I know of) in the past 6 months have been honored, and well received.

If anyone is interested in this program and would like more information, please email me directly -> [e-mail address].

Reply by Julie/KS on 1/3/05 11:17am
Msg #15297

Re: Time Frame

It was almost 2 years ago that I sought a mentor, but never got a reply. So, I just learned the SA business by doing it. I made some goofs along the way, but nothing major. Thanks Paul, for the information!

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 1/1/05 7:24pm
Msg #15186

Re: Slight correction...

Members do not have to be experienced in loan signing to join the SR. Nor is it necessary for members to have their Notary commission in order to join the SR, but you must be commissioned or licensed as a Notary Public within 30 days after joining.

In order to have your profile listed as a member, in the Signing Agent Database, all members are required to:

1. Take the Basic Skills Exam (BSE) and pass with a minimum score of 80%.

2. Submit proof of a minimum of 12 individual loan signings as confirmation of experience.

The Mentor program is available to ALL members. So it doesn't make any difference if you haven't even done your first one, or you have completed hundreds. You can ask to have a mentor assigned. And the great thing about it, is that it is all part of the membership. No extra cost.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.