Notary Rotary
Not being able to contact borrower
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2005 Index

Posted by Mary Pierce on 1/13/05 9:04am
Msg #16569

Here is an interesting scenario. This is the 2nd time I've been contacted by a company to do a signing. They send me a confirmation without the borrower's phone number to confirm. They say that I need to contact the company and they will have the borrower contact me. I am not to contact the borrower. The first one I had they tried to do a 3-way because I was not allowed to have the borrower's phone number. Now does this make sense? I know in these days you can get directions on Mapquest but in the area I live we are very rural and the addresses don't come up on Mapquest.

Reply by DarleneAZ on 1/13/05 9:19am
Msg #16570

The lender on this package must be MIC. I've done several for a company and one of the lender requirements is NOT to contact the borrowers. At first I was hesitant but after doing several from this lender, I can tell you the borrowers are always well informed and I never had a problem with the signing. If you are worried about obtaining directions use your mapbook if mapquest does not get it correct and if your county has online capabilities there usually is a spot for GIS interactive mapping. If you have the borrowers name and address, you should be able to locate the property and they will have a map on file. I've only had to do that on one file as I too, travel to rural places and most of the time, my cell phone wouldn't work anyways. I believe that if you need driving instructions from the borrower, contact whoever hired your services and they will obtain it for you. DO NOT contct the borrower. I know one SA contacted the borrower prior to the appointment and the company found out and took her off the signing and gave it to me instead. They will not use her services anymore for that particular lender.

Reply by Mary Pierce/PA on 1/13/05 10:02am
Msg #16577

I'm not planning on contacting the borrower. I just asked them to have the borrower contact me the night before the closing to give me directions. Just seems weird that they won't let you call them.

Reply by Art_MD on 1/13/05 10:11am
Msg #16579

Sometimes the confirmation only gives a work #. If unable to contract there, I use anywho.com and do a seach by name. Majority of the time I get a phone #.

Art

Reply by Mary Pierce on 1/13/05 10:24am
Msg #16582

"The lender on this package must be MIC. "

You are right. She just emailed me back. The only think I find hard is the lender has to have them call me and it can't be until up to an hour or so before the closing which is bad because I work at my FT job up until the hour before the closing. So I leave work not knowing where I am going because I can't get directions off the computer. I'm just venting LOL....I wonder why they don't want you to contact them. I know the one I was suppose to do a couple of months ago was they were afraid the borrower would be asking questions about the loan which I would of course say, sorry you have to contact your loan officer.

Reply by Fay Hudson on 1/13/05 11:30am
Msg #16590

I also have several signings that state "do not contact the borrower at any time". So, I don't. When I arrive at their location, I will state, "I didn't know if you would be home or not as I was forbidden to contact you." One borrower stated, "That's funny. I was waiting for your call and didn't think a notary would be here."

Miscommunication all down the line.

Reply by pan/nd on 1/13/05 6:10pm
Msg #16636

This is the biggest bunch of bunk that has ever been dreamed up.

I try to abide by it whenever possible on local loans.

But, if I'm going to drive 100 miles one way on icy roads at temperatures at minus 20,
I'll be darned if I'm going to let anything to chance. The heck with the lender and their silly dictum..when my personal safety is at stake: I'll call the borrower and make sure I have correct directions..that the roads are passable and that they're home.

If the lender finds out and doesn't like it....TOUGH.

In my area..if they don't get me to do it...they don't have much choice.

Reply by Art_MD on 1/14/05 10:01am
Msg #16710

Huumm - exclusive territory, no competition = sock it to them (gently)

Reply by Joan-OH on 1/15/05 7:12pm
Msg #16926

Demand full fee....

....if when you show up the borrower isn't there or doesn't sign. I would never take one of these unless that was specified on my contract that full fee is paid, no matter what.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.