Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
An acknowleadgement for a settlement statement?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by JPG_CA on 7/1/05 6:33pm
Msg #49442

Reply by IM sorry too quick on the keyb on 7/1/05 6:35pm
Msg #49444

I saw on the world savings an akn. after the s. statement,

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/1/05 7:14pm
Msg #49452

just because the word "acknowledged" appears on the document doesn't mean it's a notarial acknowledgement. I've done plenty of World Savings loans, the only doc that ever needed notarizing is the Deed of Trust.

Reply by JPG_CA on 7/1/05 7:17pm
Msg #49453

This came after the settlement statement as a loose certificate,I just notorized it and stapled to the Settlement statement

Reply by Sam I am on 7/1/05 8:09pm
Msg #49463

Re: An acknowledgment for a settlement statement?

Did you also attach an ack to the DOT?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/1/05 8:27pm
Msg #49467

I'm guessing at what your looking at, but I think it may be the borrower's acknowledgement of the HUD-1 Settlement Statement which says they are in agreement with the "numbers". Basically, it's the third page to the HUD and does not get notarized.

Reply by JPG_CA on 7/1/05 8:34pm
Msg #49470

The package came with 2 copies of the settlement statement, after the sett. there it was a
complete CA ackn. so Im guessing it was for the DOT. So what I did was, I notorized that loose
CA ack. and attached to the settlement st., and I also attached a loose ack. for the DOT. So probably I just over do it. But why doesnt world savings put the loose certificate close to the dot or at the 15 or 16th page. Sorry for my English.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/1/05 8:38pm
Msg #49471

Honestly I don't remember what the WS package was like, but if there was a loose acknowledgment certificate in there, I wouldn't have done anything with it, but throw it away. Unless there was something in the instructions or on another document that said that a loose acknowledgment needed to be attached.

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/1/05 9:30pm
Msg #49482

As a notary and signing agent you should be able to recognize when they are and are not asking you to notarize a document. The existence of a loose ackowledgement does not automatically mean they want you to notarize that particular document.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/1/05 11:37pm
Msg #49512

Yes, but It sure can throw you if you don't have a ton of signings under your belt and all you're trying to do is 1) your job and 2) wanting to please and unsure of why a loose ack shows up in the print out right after a document - someone new thinks..."well this must need to be attached to the document preceding it..."

It's an experience issue. That loose ack is like a curve ball and it got me once too. At the time, I also completed that loose ack and attached it to a document preceding it. It never came back to haunt me, I've since learned about those sudden loose ack's that show up in the print out, and it won't happen again. Unintentional UPL's are just that, unintentional....(and that's not UPL), it's a mistake, as humans tend to do at times.

It is NOT the end of the world as we know it, but a mistake that new signers and/or notaries make and can learn from it. Make sure you understand the document you're notarizing whether it requires and ack or a jurat and whether or not it's included in the body of the text of the document. Just use your head when reading those prints once they come out of your printer and you'll be okay.

I'd venture to say we've all made a mistake or two that we've learned from.

Reply by sheila in san jose on 7/2/05 1:52am
Msg #49525

Its nice to see a good reply that doesnt make the person who had the question or concern feel like an idiot. Nice response TitleGalCA

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/2/05 8:52pm
Msg #49643

Truth as I see it in real life Sheila....:) thx .....n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.