Notary Rotary
Benefits of being "Certified" Signing Agent
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 7/26/05 2:01pm
Msg #54799

My Question: Based on my experience, can anyone provide me feedback on the benefits of joining NNA and becoming a Certified Signing Agent? I believe I’ve calculated the membership fees and testing fees correctly at around $225. Are the benefits worth this cost?

I’ve been a Notary Public for almost six years. Up until recently I owned a shipping/packaging center where we provided daily notary services (average of 10+ notary acts a day). In addition, during the last 5 ½ years I have handled on average 8 to 12 loan signings a month for various notary signing companies.

Now that I’ve sold my business, I’m continuing to do Notary/Signing Agent work. I just recently joined the NotaryRotary and am looking at getting my availability out to more companies. I currently get work from 3 or 4 Notary Services on a regular basis and have been handling around 15 signings a month. I have a great track record with my signings without issues/errors about the signings.

When I owned my business, I paid NNA dues for my employees but did not pay for myself to be a member. I have never taken the Signing Agent course to become certified? I’m having a struggle deciding whether to pay the $225 in fees to become certified. Any input?

Reply by Melody on 7/26/05 2:06pm
Msg #54803

Save your money

Being listed on NNA's notary directory can usually be helpful to brand new NSAs. But you are well beyond new.

There have been lots of opinions on this board about becoming certified. You will get lots of info by using the Search button and using the word certified.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/26/05 2:10pm
Msg #54805

I became certified only because I wanted to advertise on the NNA site. The business calls generated from that decision paid for all my NNA costs (membership, test cost, and advertising costs) within 3 weeks. For whatever its worth/not worth, it still feels like a positive when you are able to say "certified" in advertising.

To me, it's sort of like being 'board certified' as a doctor (bad analygy - on the importance scale) but being 'board certified' is not required to be a good doctor, but most good doctors ARE board certified. There you go.

Reply by Judy-Oregon on 7/26/05 2:16pm
Msg #54806

I too am glad that I made the choice. I use their book for reference once in awhile, but the day after I got Certified and on their web the phone began to ring consistantly. I've been a real estate broker for 16 yrs. , but the web is where businesses are seeing you.

Reply by thnotary_NY on 7/26/05 3:58pm
Msg #54833

Other than a few supplies at member cost, I can't say I've gotten much benefit from being a member or certified of NNA. I'm also an RSA, which helped a geat deal as far as eduction was concerned. I've gotten more business from NotRot. & 123 than any other.

Reply by AnneSoCa on 7/26/05 7:00pm
Msg #54907

I became certified through the NNA (and on 123Notary.com). At first, I thought it was necessary and had my cards printed with "Certified Notary Signing Agent" on them. Then, after reading these boards, I thought it was maybe a waste of time and money.

BUT, when I recently gave my card to a person at the loan brokerage I work with (this person has been doing loan signings for over 6 years), she said that she should get "Certified" as well and was impressed that I had that on my card. This is also the person who calls me for most of my jobs.

So it certainly can't HURT to become certified, I think it adds some credibility to being a signing agent. But whether it will give you any more business than not being certified is anyone's guess.

Reply by Eve (Busy in Barstow) on 7/26/05 7:35pm
Msg #54914

I am an AP Certified Loan Signer and definately get more work than before I was Certified. I have been asked by two signing companies just this week to see my certification so I guess companies are wising up. I'm not sure if only offered in California???

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.