Notary Rotary
Brand New to Signing
Notary Discussion History

Brand New to Signing
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by GLS_CA on 7/28/05 12:30pm
Msg #55348

Brand New to Signing

Hi all, I have been reading all the chats and finally got the courage up to ask a question. I am new to the signing business, and looking to change careers completely in the next year or so. I have taken the AP course and certification, but my question is, how do i get started marketing myself without a laser printer (at this time). I will get one soon but in the mean time, I really need to start getting experience and start signing. How do you suggest I market myself at this time to get my first signing? I am in CA

Reply by jan-ca on 7/28/05 12:35pm
Msg #55351

DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB! Trust me. I received my commission in May, Certified in June, joined all the suggested ss sites, mailed out over 100 resume/fliers, invested a total of $1200,,,,even sent bouquets of choc-covered strawberries to a dozen companies, and to this day, have only received one call that paid for two signings, $100 a piece. As you will read, the So Cal area is saturated with agents,,,,better wait at least a year before quitting anything. Good luck. What part of Ca are you in?

Reply by GLS_CA on 7/28/05 2:09pm
Msg #55373

Oh no! I'm not quitting my day job. I have several years experience in HR and work for a newspaper. Thank you for your input! I am just worried about promoting myself without a laser printer. Oh, I am in the Palm Springs Area.

Reply by Eve- High Desert CA on 7/29/05 8:14am
Msg #55586

Dear GLS - Good News!

YOU, are in A PERFECT AREA for loan signers and I envy you!!! Since you are AP Certified, you have THE BEST certification available in California and you will have much success. There is NO SATURATION where I live or where you live as far as I'm concerned. I am busy busy and because we are in the desert, a place where not a lot of people want to travel to and a less-populated area of Caifornia, you will be busy busy too. GOOD LUCK and take all the advice from the nay-sayers with a grain of salt.

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 7/28/05 2:01pm
Msg #55370

Sign up with as many signing companies as you can find listed. If you don't have a laser printer you will only be able to accept overnight docs, but it will give you experience. There is nothing more frustrating than having to wait until the appointment time or even after to receive docs, then have to print them, then drive to borrower's house. Yes, you make more money accepting e-docs, but you also acquire a lot more stress and headaches! Especially when you are first starting out you don't need ANY additional stress. Just learning the job is stressful enough! If you are serious about changing careers (and I was glad to hear you say careers and not a job -- big difference), print out and read message 33325 until you know it by heart. This is a compilation from a number of seasoned signing agents. We all would have given our eye teeth for such a guide when we first started out. There is a big difference between a Professional Signing Agent and a Hobbyist! I think I'm going to start using PSA after my name -- Professional Signing Agent!!!

Reply by GLS_CA on 7/28/05 2:15pm
Msg #55376

Great, thank you for your input! As I said earlier, I am just a bit nervous about promoting myself without a printer. I have been an HR professional for years now and want to make a complete change of careers. I have everything ready to go.....office set up, supplies (except printer) large desk. I have one other question. I have a fax but it is not a laser, is that going to work? Oh, I like that "Professional Signing Agent"!

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 7/28/05 2:54pm
Msg #55389

After 3-1/2 years I'm still using my Ink Jet Fax. It was all I could afford when I started. Of course I can't and don't except faxed documents, just confirmations and occassionally a faxed hud and junk docs. I'll probably use it until it quits, then invest in a laser fax.

Reply by GLS_CA on 7/28/05 5:07pm
Msg #55413

So I can use my regular little fax! Good to know. I thought the HUD would have to be on laser.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 7/28/05 4:32pm
Msg #55406

If you buy a laser printer

and subscribe to a Internet Fax service, your faxes will come to you in a PDF to your e-mail, which you can print on your laser or you can tray this, http://search.ebay.com/HP-LaserJet-3330_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8. A combo printer, fax, copier, scanner, a real workhorse. Pay close attention to those who come up from EBIX, a west Texas authorized HP service center.

Reply by GLS_CA on 7/28/05 5:08pm
Msg #55414

Re: If you buy a laser printer

Any internet fax service, or is there one that is better than another. I read somewhere about the HP 3330, So it is a good one to get then?

Reply by Shannon/Va on 7/28/05 9:09pm
Msg #55472

internet faxs services

I use onebox.com and i also have heard good things about efax.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 7/29/05 9:50am
Msg #55593

I use Faxwave

Many on this board use Maxmail, Efax, if you google, I am sure their are many:-)

Reply by Debbie/NJ on 7/29/05 7:04am
Msg #55575

As far as having a laser printer goes, as others have said, you can just market yourself for doing overnight docs until you get a laser printer. However, there are laser printers out there that don't cost all that much ($100-$150). Just make sure the "emulation" is PCL6 or there are certain documents you won't be able to print. Concerning your fax, I only have an inkjet fax. I haven't tried the on-line fax services mentioned but I've read a lot on this board (and another board) about people who use them and like them. Another thought (and the way I go since I only have an inkjet fax) is I ask them to email me the docs instead of faxing them so I can print them on my laser printer. A lot of times they'll as if you want them faxed or emailed. Best of luck!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.