Notary Rotary
Call for notary on docs,but only ones needed to be notarized
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by pikalu on 7/14/05 3:43pm
Msg #52189

Hi, everyone! I have a question. I just recieved a call from a man (borrower) that he needed two papers in a loan doc packet to be notarized, that's all. His escrow co. told him were to sign and that he just needed certain ones notarize, so to find one in his area and just pay per signature(wich from what he told me would be 2). My ques. is should I do this notarization or pass. I feel that this is cheating me as a loan signing agent as well as all of us in this business. Could every company start doing this? I never came across this situation, so I would love some feedback. I told him that I would get back to him, because I did not know If I could fit him in today due to other appts. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks alot to all in advance.

Reply by patti-ca on 7/14/05 3:53pm
Msg #52190

You don't say what state you are in...some states allow a travel fee. So if you are say in CA, 2 notarized signatures ($20) and travel $40 = $60 Should only take you about 10 minutes to do. Does that make you feel better?

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/14/05 4:13pm
Msg #52199

Agree w/Patti 100%!!!

Reply by missy_socal on 7/14/05 4:41pm
Msg #52207

Agree with Patti!

I recently did one of these for a single borrower. I met him at the Museum of Art downtown, and it took a whopping 5-10 minutes. Travel fee + two notarizations in a lovely setting...I could do these all day.

It makes up for the crummy 1 1/2 hour signings in a less than lovely setting. :-)

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/14/05 4:23pm
Msg #52201

Some companies do send the loan docs to the borrower and tell them to find a notary to get the necessary docs notarized. You are not being hired as a signing agent in these cases, but as a notary to notarize a couple of docs.

I have done a couple of them, I have had the borrowers come to my office and just charged them per document notarization. I have told them when they called that if they want me to go over the docs with them I am able to do so,but then I will charge my signing agent fee.
Only one couple has asked me to do that, and has paid my signing agent fee.

Last one I did though, the borrower brought the package to me, and it said in the instructions that he had to sign the package in front of a notary and they wanted the notary to sign a doc. I told the borrower that I did not have time to have him sign everything in front of me and it was not necessary to do so, only to sign the ones that needed notarizing.

Reply by Joan Murad EA on 7/14/05 6:30pm
Msg #52243

When I get a call for a loan closing from the borrower I set a price whole package and have them come to my office. Most of the time they come they agree. They generally want someone who knows what they are doing.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 7/14/05 6:58pm
Msg #52251

I usually give the borrowers a choice - notary only for $XX (including travel, of applicable), or help/review whole package for $XX, including return of documents, if they choose. Everyone has their own preference based on their priorities (cost vs. quality) and their own confidence and experience.

Reply by Joan-OH on 7/14/05 10:26pm
Msg #52336

"I feel that this is cheating me as a loan signing agent as well as all of us in this business."

This just rubs me the wrong way.

You are a NOTARY who happens to be a signing agent. The two documents he wants you to notarize are no different than any other documents that any other person would ask you to notarize. I fail to see why you should say no because you feel cheated. You may be a loan signing agent, but you are a NOTARY first. If you don't want calls, then post in your online listings you don't do general notarizations.

I am especially crabby about this because I constantly get calls to go 50 miles to notarize a car title because all the signing agents who advertise forget they are a notary - a public servant - and tell the callers, "OH, I only do loan documents". At the very least, suggest they try the local UPS store, post office or bank. With as many notaries out there, people shouldn't have to pay me to drive an hour for a simple notarization.

Joan-OH

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/15/05 7:45am
Msg #52427

Joan - I couldn't agree with you more!

Got a call one day, gentleman wanted me to go to the next county and notarize one document. I said I could do it. He asked my fee. I told him that it was $10 for notarizing the document, and a travel fee, with a $35 minimum, and I was sure that the address fell in with the $35 fee, so the total would be $45. He said that he would pay $100. I said that would be fine, but it was more than I was allowed to charge for notarizing one document. He said that the $100 was fine, and he would overnight a check. He said the lady who was to be signing the document had it in her possession, but she was housebound, so that is why he needed me to go out and do the notarization.

I tried to contact the signer to arrange a time, but got no answer. Then the gentleman that contacted me e-mailed to say the lady's daughter had shown up and had driven her to the bank to have it notarized so he didn't need me to go out. He was sorry. I said that was fine, the main thing is that the lady was able to get the notarization done.
He then said he would call me again if he had anything else, as the other notaries he called all wanted $100 to $150 to go and do it and he thought it was excessive.
They were signing agents and treating it like a signing! We cannot do that.

I don't care who it is calling me, but if it is just to go with one document to be signed and notarized then it is a regular notarization and I will only charge what I am allowed to charge.

Reply by TinaG_CA on 7/15/05 10:06am
Msg #52441

I agree with Sylvia. I have been a Notary for over 20 years and a Signing Agent for over 3. I have done several general notarizations and charge what is State allowed. I even had a gentlemen come to my home, lives around the corner from me, so I could notarize his Quit Claim Deed. Charged him $10.00. He was surprised that it was only that amount. Thought it would be more. Made me wonder if he had tried other notaries before contacting me.

Reply by Jon on 7/15/05 3:01pm
Msg #52504

Re: Call for notary on docs,but only ones needed to be notar

I am so glad you brought this up, Joan. It was all I could do to not YELL exactly what you just said. The original poster's comments are exactly why the advertising done in Ca is unethical. So many people are becoming notaries simply so they can do signings. The "Make 50,000 to 100,000 a year" pitch that the educational vendors are using, show a complete lack of integrity on the part of the advertisers, and a complete lack of respect for the office and the public that the office is supposed to serve.

In Ca, refusal to perform a proper notarial act is grounds for suspension or revocation of a notary commission. In addition, it is also subject to a civil penalty of $1500 for a willful violation(i.e. refusal) or a $750 penalty for a negligent violation.

"I feel that this is cheating me as a loan signing agent as well as all of us in this business."

To all who share this view, you are a disgrace to the notary profession. Until you re-evaluate your attitude and actions, you will continue to be so. YOU are the one that is cheating "all of us in this business", as well as giving the office of Notary Public a bad name.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.