Notary Rotary
Cat House
Notary Discussion History

Cat House
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by anon on 7/21/05 11:05pm
Msg #53793

Cat House

Went to a house today that was literally a cat house. If the owner's went there, I would have thought the house belonged to the cats. Crates everywhere, tons of bowls of food and water and cats jumping on the dining table while we are signing. And when I walked in, I was hit with the smell of cat urine. Today it was about 106 degrees out and the house only had a swamp cooler. I felt the smell of cat urine in my lungs as if it were cigarette smoke. It took my whole being to stay put and complete the signing with a smile on my face. I don't think I will ever get used to this part of the job.

Reply by Julie-mi on 7/21/05 11:22pm
Msg #53796

I refer to them as house of skank. I had a cat house appt in the winter. Brand new wool coat, i was wearing. I never wore it again. It absorbed the obnoxious odor and I was too embarrassed to take it to the dry cleaners so I pitched it. I got a call last year to close them again. When I saw who it was I called back the company and had it reassigned. I was that vile.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/22/05 12:25am
Msg #53811

If I get smacked in the face with that vile smell and see what you saw I would politely tell the borrower. "I'm sorry I have asthma and multiple cats triggers my asthma attacks we need to sign outside." If they can't accomodate then I'm gone.

Reply by Donnanorthernca on 7/22/05 2:41am
Msg #53817

It is probably a good idea to carry a can of insect repellent with you (for fleas) and enzyme solution works very well to get rid of the pet smell. It can be purchased at pet supply or janitorial stores and you just spray it , and the live enzymes eat up the bacteria and odor. Sounds gross but I work in apartments, etc and it works really well

Reply by JanetK/CA on 7/22/05 2:54am
Msg #53821

Re: Cat House - OT

What's the name of the enzyme solution you use against odors? I have an aging cat and it's starting to become an occasional problem. I don't want to be one of those stinky house folks!! ;>) Any recommendations re: where to get it?

Thanks!

Reply by MarleneM/USNA on 7/22/05 8:21am
Msg #53843

Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover

I buy mine at Petco or PetSmart, I see it online, too. A friend of mine has 11 cats and you'd never know it except for the cat hair everywhere!

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/22/05 11:31am
Msg #53889

"Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover"

I'll second that, this stuff works great. I have a potty training dog and it has been a godsend.

Reply by ColleenCA on 7/22/05 12:16pm
Msg #53895

Re: Cat House - OT Another product that works...

is oxyclean. It removes the most stubborn pet stains and stains of any kind. I always kid that I wish I had stock in it I like it so much! It has removed every spill and stain that I have ever used it on. Tomatoe sauce, red wine, pet accidents, it's amazing! Gee, maybe I should give up being a Paralegal/NSA and pitch oxyclean on an infomercial (ha ha).

Reply by MarleneM/USNA on 7/22/05 3:03pm
Msg #53930

Re: Cat House - OT Another product that works...

Didn't get the grease stains out that my new refrigerator left on my new carpet. . .

Reply by Jenny/CA on 7/22/05 10:50am
Msg #53875

Re: insect repellent

I am wondering if that works for roaches too? I went with another SA to borrowers home and there were roaches everywhere. On the table,our feet, our chairs , everywhere. Not judging the people, I just want to know if it works on the roaches so that I can be prepared in case I get a signing like this in the future.

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 7/22/05 1:15pm
Msg #53915

I couldn't go into that house with the roaches all over. They couldn't even pay me combat pay. It would have to be signed at a Starbucks etc.

Reply by Jenny/CA on 7/22/05 3:35pm
Msg #53935

We didn't know what it would be like ahead of time. It was 8:40pm when we arrived,and it was dark outside.

Reply by Cassandra - O.C. /CA on 7/22/05 3:12pm
Msg #53933

Was that the house in the news yesterday? It sounds just like it ! The news report said there were something like 80 cats in the house. That the carpet was covered in feces and the urine covered all walls up to about the three-foot mark.
The neighbors said that the owners ( a woman and her daughter) were very nice people - they never would have known what was going on inside.
The house looked very clean and neat on the outside .
The interesting thing is that the animal control people had to wear gas masks (I think the masks were on loan from the fire dept. haz mat crew)

So - breathing in that ammonia is definitely unhealthy!

I've been to homes where the ammonia or other odors were so strong that I became light headed. I usually do my best to "press-on". I know everybody has their own limit.
I realize that an important part of this business is the customer - service aspect and that we are accomodating the signers.
But there are some situations that are just beyond what would be considered reasonable.

In your situation I would have asked to go outside.

Reply by anon on 7/22/05 6:16pm
Msg #53970

No, not the house, thank goodness. The roach house I definitely would not have been able to take, no way, shape or form. Last I checked, I wasn't competing in Survivor California to try to win a million dollars.

You know, I was actually relunctant to post this thread for fear of being attacked for being critical and judgmental of other people's homes. Glad I did now because we got good advice on a good product (Nature's Miracle). Maybe next time I won't post as anon...... (not!) (you guys scare meSmiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.