Notary Rotary
Cell phones & Telemarketing/OT
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Becky/NC on 7/31/05 12:09pm
Msg #56099

Several days (maybe weeks) ago, PAWFL directed us to a response to message#31780 with information from the FTC about telemarketers calling cell phones (see message #32400). As always, that was wonderful information, but......

Over the last 3-4 days, everyone in my family has received a telemarketing call to our cell phones. In my case, I have just hung up, slapped myself for using my cell # when on line, and thought nothing more about it. BUT, when my 13 year old daughter received a call, I had to wonder - she hasn't used her phone more than 5 times all summer, and it's usually turned off. (Completely unusual for a teen age girl, I know, but she's an unusual and wonderful person!)

Long story short, I registered all our cell #'s with the do not call registry just as a precaution.
Probably not necessary, and may not be worth the 3 minutes it took, but who knows.

Just thought that you all might be interested......

Reply by Stephen_VA on 7/31/05 1:30pm
Msg #56103

If you provide the number for things you will get calls. I usually tell them "this is a cellphone don't call back" and if it is a more legitimate business, like Sears called after I used my cell for some deliveries while we were moving and had no phone, they will say "why did you use a cell" and I will tell them I had no other phone and they usually say "ok we won't call back" Other companies, just run like the wind.

Reply by Bonnie/FL on 8/1/05 8:18am
Msg #56143

If you end up with telemarkering calls on your cell, do like you do on your home phone, tell them to remove your name off their calling list and they are usually pretty polite about it and will do just that. If they call again, tell them you are registered on the Do Not Call List (hopefully your are) and you will report them if they call again. That one usually works, since the company will actually be fined if they continue to call.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 8/1/05 8:19am
Msg #56144

This is just one reason why I no longer list my cell phone number in profiles or when marketing. Although a cell phone is necessary equipment in the business, it can and does get abused. I only give my number to companies that use me on a regular basis, and no, I dont miss a lot of calls. When I leave the office, I forward all calls to my cell phone. Except the fax # of course.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.