Notary Rotary
Change dates on RTC
Notary Discussion History

Change dates on RTC
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by LAG-Fl on 7/6/05 3:44pm
Msg #50084

Change dates on RTC

I had a SS call and had a loan dated the 5th. Today is 6th. THey wanted me to cross off dates on RTC and hand write new ones I declined the signing. They were upset and said the NNA says it is ok to do that. I did not feel comfortable crossing dates out. And writing in new ones. If the mortgage was ever disputed in court couldn't the borrows argue the fact that they never agreed to his? Does anyone do this? The signing service made me feel very uncomfortable they were screaming at me and wanted me to get over to the signing asap. It just seemed very weird.

Reply by John_NorCal on 7/6/05 3:49pm
Msg #50086

You blew it. You should have changed the dates to as necessary. All you need to be sure to do is to have the borrowers initial the change.
Don't expect to get anymore calls from that SS. You might want to look into some courses for loan signing if this is what you really want to pursue.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/6/05 3:51pm
Msg #50087

For the RTC that is the normal request! The dates on the RTC must be the date you are doing the signing and three business days from that date. The borrowers HAVE to have 3 business days for the RTC.
You cross out the incorrect dates, write in the correct date and have the borrowers initial the changes.

Reply by LAg-Fl on 7/6/05 4:01pm
Msg #50090

I did take a course and I was a loan officer. I do not remember the course saying anything about being able to change the dates on the RTC. Also when I was a loan officer if the dates were not correct the loan had to be run again. Different companies do different things that is why I am asking. Also the call was for a location that is not where I am so it just struck me that why didn't they get someone in that neighborhood to sign it. Now I know I can. No big loss. Thanks for the input.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/6/05 4:20pm
Msg #50092

Did they want the RTC dates something other than the 6th for today and the 9th for the rescission?

Reply by LAG-Fl on 7/6/05 4:30pm
Msg #50096

They wanted them to be the original dates at first. Starting on the fifth not today the 6. THat is why I was worried. They said you are just notarizing that they signed it. The calls went back and forth then the last call they asked me to cross out the dates and change them. The borrower told me he needed the loan done asap he had a bunch of real estate deals he needed the money for. I would rather be comfortable with the situaton than do something I was unsure of. Let me see if I have this straight? If I left the dates it wouldn't be ok. If I changed the dates and had them initialed it would be ok?

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/6/05 4:47pm
Msg #50100

*They said you are just notarizing that they signed it* Granted - I have not done hundreds of signings - but I have never notarized a RTC. Never heard of a RTC being notarized either. It has nothing to do with the notary part of the job - it comes with being an NSA to ensure the loan package is completed as requested.

*I would rather be comfortable with the situation than do something I was unsure of.* Definitely agreed. I love the training guide from The Signing Registry!

*If I left the dates it wouldn't be OK.* As the borrower, I certainly would not sign an RTC form without the RTC dates filled in or with the wrong dates filled in. It sounds like your borrower was trying to shorten the length of his RTC. I'm under the impression that the 3 days is mandatory, regardless of what the borrower wants, he must wait the 3 days.

YES - if you changed the dates to be CORRECT and had the borrower(s) initial the change you would most certainly be okay. (Unless, of course, you were specifically instructed not to have the borrower's initial - but that does not sound like what happened here.)

Reply by LAG-FL on 7/6/05 4:54pm
Msg #50104

Thanks....They were yelling at me and had me all flustered...Yes I realize I was not notarizing that doc but I said I did not want to notarize any documents I did not feel comfortable with. Meaning the whole package. Thanks that is what I thought they were doing too. I guess I did not explain myself properly in my post.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/6/05 5:05pm
Msg #50111

Oh yeah - I forgot to add that I wouldn't want to work for a company that is yelling me either. I just don't see the point of screaming at people in a business environment.

So next time you'll know that is it SOP to fix the dates. Lesson learned Smiley

Reply by Nancy in Florida on 7/6/05 11:00pm
Msg #50200

I just did the exact same thing tonight, had a loan dated for the 5th but they were signing on the 6th. The SS called and asked if I would consider back dating all docs including the notary. I said no way. She then told me to just date everything for today but change the dates on the RTC and have the borrowers initial the changes.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.