Notary Rotary
Confused!! Vent Time!!
Notary Discussion History

Confused!! Vent Time!!
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by ANON on 7/14/05 10:26am
Msg #51990

Confused!! Vent Time!!

OK, I had my first experience with another notary being at the signing table when I got there, both her and the borrowers looking at me like "what are you doing here?" Needless to say, it was total shock and embarrassment. I received nothing to indicate that I was not doing the signing. When I got home, I called the company, and they had in their notes, that I couldnt do the signing. I NEVER said I wasnt doing the signing. The only thing I had done was to call about my fee, because it wasnt discussed when the scheduler had called me initially. When I spoke with her, she said she would have to get it approved and get back to me. That was the last I had heard from the company. Seeing as I had already committed to doing the signing I was going regardless if they were going to meet my base fee. Is this bad business as far as the company goes? Im not going to mention the company, but I will be watching the forum to see if this is a regular thing for them. One more thing, one of their representatives had called me this morning, to find out what happened, and I was told that if a fee we request cannot be approved they move on to the next person. I quess my beef with this whole situation, is that they didnt call me or email me that I wasnt doing the signing. An oversite or neglet?? I would think that would be common courtesy and good business ediquette. Do some of these companies think that they are so big and IMPORTANT in this industry that they dont have to account for this kind of happening to us signing agents. I forgot to mention, I passed up another signing to do this one. My guts tell me to move on, there are plenty of other companies out there and I have every intention of only bettering myself in this industry. Please tell me this kind of thing doesnt happen often, or if it is just a trademark of certain companies??

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/14/05 10:30am
Msg #51996

>>Please tell me this kind of thing doesnt happen often, or if it is just a trademark of certain companies??<<

Once when I got to a signing, another notary had called to say she would be there the next day. I hope someone let her know.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/14/05 10:44am
Msg #52012

Re: Brenda... regarding TC's

Had a job last night... it was difficult getting Title docs... had lender docs. Called Mrs. B to keep her updated on status because TC kept pushing the time back (the SS would call me and tell me) and when I called her she said...

"Oh no, those are ready... the TC just called and told me to come down and sign in their office. I told her that I had someone coming to my house and they said no... they have notaries there. Are you still coming or should I go there?"

I called the SS and they said that I was ABSOLUTELY to go... the lender was the one that hired them...

Why would a lender insist on an outside service if a local TC was involved? I'm just curious? It seems that it would be easier for them to just send her there.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/14/05 11:15am
Msg #52044

>>Why would a lender insist on an outside service if a local TC was involved? I'm just curious? It seems that it would be easier for them to just send her there. <<

A Texas guess would be that the lender preferred to pay the SS a lower closing fee. For instance, a closing fee for a notary/witness is $125-$150 to an SS. That same activity is around $250.00-$350 if the title company handles it in house.

Reply by Jan Marshall on 7/14/05 12:52pm
Msg #52101

Hi Brenda, earlier this week I sent you an email asking for those mock docs you said you had on file....can you email me when/if you still have them. thanks, jan ([e-mail address])

Reply by Joan_NJ on 7/14/05 10:33am
Msg #51997

This is why you should always get an email conformation. Politely let the ss know that you need that to confirm the job, then send a quick email acknowledging that you received their conf. It'll save you alot of headaches. Just a suggestion, I know its hard to remember everthing you should be discussing before you take a job, espescially if you happen to be driving down the interstate while talking to them! Good luck!

Reply by ColleenCA on 7/14/05 10:34am
Msg #51998

Did you receive the loan docs? Unless they told you the borrower would be receiving them, that would be your first indication that they chose someone else to do the signing. If you did receive the docs, did you confirm with the borrower before you went out on the appt.? That would be your second indication that they hired someone else. Did the scheduler send you a confirmation email? If you did those things, then I would at least try to get your edoc fee/travel fee. Good luck.

Reply by Julie-MI on 7/14/05 10:44am
Msg #52011

My brother had a closing thru a signing service yesterday for 6:30. He arrived at 6:25. While at the borrowers table, the doorbell rang, and there was another notary for the same appointment. The time was 6:35. This is funny, because I closed this guy back in 2002, and he pestered me on how to get in the business. My lips were sealed but somehow he figured it out. My brother closed him before as well back in 2001. We both remembered him as he had a few beers during his closing. The borrowers told my brother, the 2nd guy had alchohol on his breath.

Then at 6:50 as my brother was leaving, a third notary, whom we both knew of, showed up, 20 minutes late! We used to use her for backup when business was really good, but she was late and had a poor attitude so we didn't use her anymore. She called my brother this am and wanted to know if she could borrower some money because she was behind in her mortgage. She is taking closings in my county for $46.50. I may just send her an email to find out which company. I have heard of double booked but never triple booked.

I just read their profiles in Notaryrotary and I have to wonder how signing agents are still around and all closings are not held in title companies. If either of these characters showed up at my house, I'd be complaining to someone.

Back to the original post, if you don't have the confirmation YOU DO NOT GO TO THE CLOSING. You assumed the closing was yours even though the company did not call you back to annouonce your fee was approved. The error was yours. Just use this as a learning experience.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/14/05 10:35am
Msg #52000

It is a trademark of almost all (if not all) SS's and even TC's to move on if a request cannot be approved. I do feel that your situation was a little more involved and you did 'deserve' a call back but it doesn't surprise me in the least that you didn't get one.

The only exception is, of course, if you received a confirmation from them. Which if so... is a written agreement for work to be done and should be cancelled (or amended) in writing. If you never received a confirmation... you needed to call and find out why and save a trip. Don't consider yourself 'held' to anything without that confirmation. ALWAYS call and verify. They do move on very fast... its the nature of the beast... and the business.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/14/05 10:37am
Msg #52001

She / he must have gotten a confirmation to know where to go IMHO.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/14/05 10:46am
Msg #52013

Re: Oh yeah! No coffee yet. I'm fixing that now!!! n/m

Reply by TN Notary on 7/14/05 10:50am
Msg #52018

Re: Oh yeah! No coffee yet. I'm fixing that now!!! n/m

Sounds like a great idea.

Reply by IrisWA on 7/14/05 11:08am
Msg #52036

It ain't necessarily so, Brenda_TX...

in some of my limited experiences with SSs, they have given name/address/phone info on Borrowers in initial contact and before confirmation is sent. (Not often, but it does happen.)

As far as receiving confirmations, so far, I've been exceedingly fortunate and received confirmations on all booked phone appointment. I realize the odds may shift as my business increases.

(Caveat: Put on your sunglasses ... sunshine comin'!)

Have a terrific, profitable and safe day! Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/14/05 11:27am
Msg #52054

Weather Lesson: Iris...

Sunshine is bright and burns through my screen when you are filling the board with great advice and excellent signing agent info.

However, I can barely see my monitor when this other thing happens!

See...it clouds up for a Texas electrical storm when you tell me I'm not 100% accurate.

j/k Smiley

---------------

I have never had an SS give me an address but not a confirmation. I have had that from lenders/TCs, however. We are in two different parts of the world, I suspect.

Reply by IrisWA on 7/14/05 11:55am
Msg #52064

Sheesh! Brenda_TX

You are a riotous wonder! Now I need to hand out lightning rods, too! Smiley Wonder if Costco sells those? ;-)

Please, don't take my 'addendum' personally -- it wasn't intended as a correction.

It's impossible for any of us to be 100% complete in everything we say/do, all the time. As living/growing beings, we can't possibly be held to a standard of knowing things outside the realm of our experience and would never even occur to us, no matter how knowledgeable we are.

Besides, you're actually making $$$$ at this NSA career, while I sit here just reading/posting and creatively procrastinating about doing my own 'thing'! (Hope this takes any remaining sting out of former comment!)

Smiley Smiley

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/14/05 10:40am
Msg #52003

This is a hard lesson.

When I have accepted a signing and the confirmation didn't have the fee listed on it, I have immediately called and / or emailed the scheduler and asked for the fee to be in (virtual) writing. (BE NICE when you do this! It may be a simple oversight on the part of a very busy person!)

When the fee listed on the confirmation has not been what was negotiated during the initial call, I have called and spoken to the scheduler. (Again, it could be a simple, honest mistake!) If the persons says anything similar to "I'll call you back", wait an hour and call them if you don't hear from them. Do not depend on anyone calling to say you're not doing the signing! As much as that is The Right Thing To Do, schedulers are busy and don't want to take the time or spend the company's money on another phone call.

Good luck!

Reply by Anon on 7/14/05 10:40am
Msg #52005

If you do not have a confirmation with the fee in writing, regardless of the amount, you have no appointment to sign. Generally, when they I'll get back to you, that means they are not going to call you. If you do not hear from them within 5-10 minutes, you're not going to hear from them at all.

Reply by ANON on 7/14/05 11:09am
Msg #52037

Re: Vent Time!! To Claify

The docs were going to the borrowers. I received not one, but two confirmations, I was doing the closing. The appointment was scheduled a week ahead of time. And yes I had confirmed with the borrowers the appointment. They(the SS) were the ones who decided I was not doing the signing, so it should be their responsibility to call or email me with that information. If Im not able to do a signing, I dont just not go, with no regard to call them and tell them. My personal opinion. And yes to everyone, I have learned my lesson. Only to be better at this and more coherent on what is going on. I guess I had loosened up the reins a little with companies because it seemed to be going pretty well with everyone. One more note: This company claims they dont put the fee on the confirmations, ever. I had done another signing for them and got my fee acknowledged by email. Yes, lesson learned. CONFIRM****CONFIRM**** I feel much better now. AHHHHHHH. Now back to your regular programming.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 7/15/05 12:50am
Msg #52408

Re: Vent Time!! To Clarify

Whenever you hear "I'll get back to you..." that's code for "all bets are off". As soon as you decided to discuss the fee, the game changed and they were thinking about finding someone else for less (or for the original fee discussed?). Their concern is filling the spot and they're not thinking about you, unfortunately. (Although I *have* had some ss people actually call me back after saying that. I don't work for very many, but those are the type that I will work for.)

If someone says they will call you back and then they don't, it's a real good idea to take the initiative and call THEM back if there is any doubt. You might save yourself a lot of grief next time - and maybe some $$$$. Tough lesson, but good for you for having the integrity to follow through on YOUR commitments...

Reply by Brende on 7/14/05 12:31pm
Msg #52088

It seems because you made a trip to the borrowers you should be able to invoice for a flat fee if they failed to contact you. I turned down a job last week because I was scheduled to do another signing. I printed the docs in duplicate and spent time getting ready for the signing an hour away only to have them cancel the order just before I headed out the door. I was so happy they caught me before I made the hour long trip that I didn't realize I should have inquired about the issue of printing 2 sets of documents at my expense. I think this company didn't want to pay my additioanl fee because it was a late signing and out of my area. I'm still in the newby stage but learning to speak up for myself. This one I let go but, if companies are scheduling signing agents for a "back-up" only to continue to look for cheaper signing agents it's really no different than an agent accepting another signing assignment that comes at a higher fee. I would never do such a thing but worried this is happening too often.

Reply by TN Notary on 7/14/05 12:38pm
Msg #52090

I would still invoice them for printed docs. I do all the time and I get paid.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.