Notary Rotary
Dogs!
Notary Discussion History

Dogs!
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul2_FL on 7/23/05 10:00pm
Msg #54201

Dogs!

Is it my imagination or do most borrowers prefer to have two or more dogs these days? I've completed a number of signing lately where most of them had dogs - not one but two or more! Also, they are never "little" dogs. They are all in the 80-150 lb range.
When I arrive a house the owners will generally put the dogs in another room (with a lot of effort I might add) but during the course of the signing they always manage to get out!
In one particular case where the owner had three dogs (two Rotweillers (sp?) and a Heinz 57), the owner felt sorry for the dogs being coped up in the other room so he let them out! I was sitting down at the time and immediately had all three dogs around me. One Rotweiller on my left with his massive head on my leg, the Heinz 57 on my right staring up at me, and the other Rotweiller under the table with his head in my crotch! I was MOST concerned about this one and didn't want to upset him at all! Fortunately, the owner had a visitor and the dogs attention shifted to him. All I can say was it a signing that didn't go fast enough.
Getting back to my main point though - what would you say your ratio is regarding signings with vs without dogs. I'd say mine is running about 80/20. (80 with 20 without).

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/23/05 10:34pm
Msg #54204

Don't know about ratios... but last week I had a sweet little Yorkie wrapped around my neck. It was either that or on the docs!

Reply by Joan-OH on 7/23/05 11:46pm
Msg #54205

I have only been in a couple dozen houses that didn't have pets in the 2.5 years I have been doing this. Last summer, I had 4 great danes in one week - all different houses! I love the dogs. I stay near the doorway and let them greet me and check me out for a few minutes and then they usually calm down. Locking them in another room just makes them bark, bark, and bark some more - really irritating.

One house had a very large weimrenner (sp) and a 4 month old black lab. They kept the black lab in it's kennel and it wimpered and whined for what seemed like forever. I suggested they just let the poor thing out and let him check me out. Five minutes later, they were both asleep under the table with the weimreiner laying on my feet. Didn't mind since it was the dead of winter and I had to climb through a snow drift and my feet were very wet & freezing. About 15 minutes later, the weimrenner starts passing gas. The borrower were terribly embarrassed. I just said "ewwww!" and laughed.

Can you tell I'm a dog lover? The best part is when I get home my pooch greets me, then smells the other dogs on me and looks at me like I've been cheating! LOL

Joan-OH

Reply by Luci/CA on 7/24/05 12:18am
Msg #54208

Sometimes the pets are the best part of the appointment!

Reply by John_NorCal on 7/24/05 12:48am
Msg #54211

Re: Dogs! Agree -- Arf-Arf Grrrrr! n/m

Reply by calipat/ca on 7/24/05 2:03am
Msg #54215

Re: Dogs! Agree -- Arf-Arf Grrrrr! n/m

I am probably also at about 80/20. I love dogs all animals as long as they are not reptiles or amphibians of any sort. I have never been in a house with snakes if I ever encountered it I would have to sit outside or do the signing elsewhere. I am deafly afraid of snakes.
I have 2 dogs and my daughter visits with her dog sometimes for 2-3 days at a time.
I love dogs, and my dogs also think I am cheating on them when I am around other dogs.

Reply by Teasa Mahar on 7/24/05 8:28am
Msg #54221

80/20 That have dogs

Dogs are one of my biggest issues beacuse I have had problems with them. When I confirm I ask that the animals be put up for the signing. If I arrive and they are apparent I again ask that they be put up. Everyone complies but usually begrudgingly. The little cute ones I don't mind and they can stay, but no others. My entire experience with animals blows my mind. Customer will shoo the kids out but insist that the animals remain present, which usually means up my butt. Anyway, I insist they be put up. I once asked a customer to put a cat up and she said oh she won't hurt you she just wants to say hello. The cat was under the table right below me and bit me on the shin through pants and socks and broke skin. That's a fine hello for ya. We had a crazy beagle for 17 years and we loved her, but I would never inflict that love on someone who was uncomfortable with it. To me the strangest part of human nature with this job is people and their animals.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/24/05 2:31pm
Msg #54269

I'm a dog person myself. I grew up with a German Sherpherd (sp?). We had three cockers at one time (plus several pups that were sold) when my son was growing up - plus all the other animals -- hampsters, snake, box turtle, etc., etc. The three cockers were bang-bang-bang in age and we lost them all very close to each other. Now we have one cocker to replace the three. As with you, Sandy also thinks I've been cheating on her when I get home.

I've done signings with dog heads in my lap, my feet going to sleep because a huge monster was sleeping on them under the table, small dogs sitting in my lap during the signing. I've had many borrowers offer to lock them up, but it's *their* i.e., the dogs house and I'm the visiter. I've gotten so I so packing treats in my briefcase for the dogs if the borrowers say it's okay.

I would say that probably 80% of my signings include dogs.

I'm not a cat person, so I'm not warm and fuzzy with the cats during the signing.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/24/05 3:37pm
Msg #54286

Re: Dogs!--Carolyn & Pryor - Great minds...

**but it's *their* i.e., the dogs house and I'm the visiter.**

Monkey live here...you vizitin' !

[Or, something like that.]

Reply by jojo_MN on 7/24/05 9:04am
Msg #54223

Yes, and the owners let them come and greet you at the car. I just had a new paint job and on Friday a couple dogs (in the 80 - 150 lb. range) came up on both sides of the car jumping at me. The owner just sat there laughing and telling me that they don't bite and just love people.

I got home and was getting something out of the car and noticed that there are nice long dog claw marks scratched down to the metal on both sides of the car. What can I do? Should I try to get the owners to help me fix it or just write it off as "part of the job"?

Reply by Hampton/CA on 7/24/05 10:47am
Msg #54235

How to occupy a dog during a signing

When I get a dog that is a bother, I just pull out my Thomas Sirianni doll and toss it across the room. Then I say, "Bad man! Get him!"

At that, the dog bristles and chases after the doll, which he proceeds to tear apart with his teeth and eat. Once finished, the dog will usually wander off to a corner where he gets sick and.... removes the Thomas Sirianni doll from his stomach.

What a mess! Pieces of Siranni all over the floor! It's just awful!

If the dog recovers before the signing is over and wanders back to the signing table, I take out my Vital Signings doll and hand it to the dog, who promptly chomps down on it. The doll has a boatload of paper in it's hand, and I tell the dog, "Take this doll into the other room and fax back all those papers and then wait for them to call you back."

The dog turns and walks away, grumbling, "What a bunch of crap. I don't have the time to fax back all this junk!"

I then complete the signing and leave, while the dog is still feeding papers into the fax machine.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 7/24/05 11:17am
Msg #54241

Re: How to occupy a dog during a signing

I am not giving any of my SS dolls to any d..n dog. I like sticking the pins it them my own darn self. jab, jab jab

Reply by LynnNC on 7/24/05 11:40am
Msg #54246

Re: How to occupy a dog during a signing

You are FUNNY!

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/24/05 2:37pm
Msg #54271

You never fail to give me a laugh, Hampton - thx...:) n/m

Reply by Melody on 7/24/05 5:11pm
Msg #54304

Great!

I scared my dog when I burst out laughing at your post!

Thanks!

Reply by JurneiCA on 7/24/05 10:53am
Msg #54237

Paul you are SO funny!

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/24/05 11:22am
Msg #54242

JurneiCA I think you mean Hampton/CA is SO funny!

Anyhow, I don't want all of you to think I don't like dogs because I do! I just think owners should realize you are there to help them get their loan and they shouldn't have their dog(s) all over you. There's a time and place for the dog(s) and at the signing is not one of them.

All to often I hear "Oh (dogs names) are harmless the're just protective and what to check you out".

Reply by LawrenceOK on 7/24/05 11:44am
Msg #54248

I have not been bitten yet (knock on my noggin) came darn close once. Got chased back to my car (the B laughing) I did'nt think it was funny (Pit Bull) and told him I hope he has plenty of homeowners insurance if I get attacked. Pit Bulls attack, they do not just bite.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 7/24/05 12:24pm
Msg #54253

Gonna Get a Sirianni Doll/Perfect

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/24/05 1:13pm
Msg #54262

Re: Gonna Get a Sirianni Doll/Perfect - GREAT POST...

Hampton LOL.

Reply by KAY RHODEN on 7/24/05 5:30pm
Msg #54310

Hey, I find more dogs, cats, and birds than children so I don't mind. I keep biscuits in my briefcase. ( I am owned by a dog!)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.