Notary Rotary
Fed Ex - Holy Crap!
Notary Discussion History

Fed Ex - Holy Crap!
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by CaliNotary on 7/12/05 2:32am
Msg #51155

Fed Ex - Holy Crap!

I'm guessing that by posting this a few smug people will come out of the woodwork to gloat because it relates to a minor mistake that I, CaliNotary the Perfect, made on a signing recently. But hey, although I try to stifle it, my human side does show itself every now and again.

A mistake on an acknowledgement of all things.

A couple of weeks ago I had an early morning signing. A quick thing, just a couple of signatures and one notarization. About 2 weeks after the signing I got a call from the broker or someone at the loan company, not exactly sure. They told me that they had made a mistake, that the wording on the acknowledgement they sent me was wrong, that it is always wrong on their CA docs and they usually stick a correct blank ack in there but forgot to do it this time, so they needed me to send them a correct acknowledgement.

Of course I had them fax it to me. I couldn't see how I could make that kind of mistake, as I run across non legal CA wording all the time and it's pretty darn easy to spot. Upon receiving the fax I immediately saw the problem. The wording was correct, but there was no blank for me to write in the name of the person signing (appeared _______________, personally known to me.....).

I'm guessing it's the fact that the signing was at 8:30 am, but my brain doesn't wake up until 10:00am. But yeah, completely careless mistake on my part and I definitely should have caught it. So I called the guy back, told them that it wasn't their fault, that as a notary I should have caught it and would correct it. He gave me the address, I told him they'd have it first thing in the morning.

Of course I was sending this back on my dime. I put the document in a Fed Ex Pak (the tyvek envelope), marked it for 8:30 am delivery, put my credit card number on it and dropped it in a dropbox. Anyone familiar with Fed Ex is probably seeing where the holy #%$@! part comes in.

I didn't think anything more about it until I was looking over my credit card statement. I didn't know how much it would be, but I figured it was maybe $5 or $10 bucks more for the early AM delivery, so I was figuring somewhere in the $20-$25 range. It was going to a location about 40 miles from me.

I was wrong. Sending back those TWO sheets of paper cost me $45.99. I tell you, if I were wearing pearls I definitely would have been clutching them when I saw that. I haven't flinched and had such a quick sharp intake of breath since my first time.......well, let's just say it's been a long time.

So I now know that the tyvek envelopes are billed at the 9 oz rate minimum. I also learned that my dime now only extends to 10:30 am delivery, which in the proper envelope would have been 13 bucks and change.

All I can say is thank god the signing was about 10 miles from me and I was back home less than an hour after I left, since I ended up making a whopping $19 for it. That eases a bit of the sting.

Reply by christiSocal on 7/12/05 2:48am
Msg #51156

ouch!!! that hurts... : ( n/m

Reply by Teasa/NY on 7/12/05 6:17am
Msg #51157

Re: ouch!!! that hurts... : ( n/m

I have been burnt with the expandable envelopes myself. My local Kinkos and the HUB had no legal size reusable envelopes. They were not out, they stated they never carry them. I do not have a fedex account but I evenyually got the correct envelopes by calling the 800 number and they were delivered within a few weeks. The fact that the local HUB and Kinkos had none leaves a bad taste in my mouth about fedex. I believe they want you to use the expandable and pay more. I spoke to local manager about it and they still have no in house stock. Syracuse, NY is not exactly a back water swamp, so I don't know what their problem is. Everyones experience is different, but I have had mostly bad ones with fedex.

Reply by Charm_AL on 7/12/05 8:58am
Msg #51171

This is the exact reason Interstate deducted $25. from my fee once. They are very specific about the envelopes.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/12/05 10:38am
Msg #51224

Not to rub it in, but if you had used a standard FedEx envelope and not the PAK, and sent it STANDARD overnight (they'll get it be 3:00 PM next day rather than early morning), the shipment may have cost you around $15.00. Also, if you have a business account with them, it is a bit less expensive than using your CC on the airbill.

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/12/05 12:10pm
Msg #51260

Yes, I'm well aware of that now Smiley That's why I wrote "I also learned that my dime now only extends to 10:30 am delivery, which in the proper envelope would have been 13 bucks and change." in the original post.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.