Notary Rotary
Fedex Billing
Notary Discussion History

Fedex Billing
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 11:37am
Msg #55642

Fedex Billing

I did a signing for a title company on the 11th July.
Sent the package back FedEx using the account number they gave me.
I also used my address as the sender - something I don't normally do.

Today I get a bill for $42.87 from Fedex, with the message they were unable to bill the charge for the shipment to the party indicated on the shipping document. Based on their usage guides I am responsible for all charges.

I called FedEx and they said the account number was inaccurate. I read them the account number I had been given to make sure it was the correct one I used. It was the one I put on the package but it was an invalid number!

I called the company and they said to call Fedex and have them rebill it to them, I said I could do that if they gave me a valid account number but I was also told by FedEx that I would have to pay a $10 rebilling fee.

So, the company said to forward the bill to them and they will take care of it.

In future, I will put the company's address as the return address on ALL shipments.

Reply by Lily on 7/29/05 11:40am
Msg #55649

Thanks for the information/lesson...I'll forever use their address as the sender from now on.

Reply by Becca/FL on 7/29/05 11:41am
Msg #55650

Some called me paranoid for never putting my address in the sender box. Well, folks this is exactly why I do not do it. Paranoid? Maybe not.

Reply by oldhippie_IL on 7/29/05 11:50am
Msg #55656

Good idea. I will do the same, as that happened to myself also!

Reply by IrisWA on 7/29/05 11:52am
Msg #55658

The only problem with not putting a valid return address

is that IF the package should be lost/misplaced somehow, you will never know or be able to track it and prove that you DID ship them, and then might be involved in a no-fee go-back.

Since the company is picking up the billing (including the $10 rebilling fee), I would continue using your return address -- but, as an alternative, you may want to verify the A/C numbers now before using them.

Just a thought.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 12:10pm
Msg #55676

Re: The only problem with not putting a valid return address

I always keep the shippers label, so can track by the tracking number.
Also - where it says :Your Internal Billing Reference", I write the borrowers last name - such as "Smith docs".

I did have a company call me last Friday about a signing I did on Wednesday. They said they hadn't received the package. I told them it was shipped out on Wednesday as I did the signing early morning. They asked if I used the correct address. I told them they had provided the return envelope so it would have to be the correct address. I did add the borrowers last name as a reference on the package.

I went online to FedEx and the package had been delivered the day before (Thursday) but they had a signature release on file so no-one signed for it. I emailed the company the tracking information direct from the FedEx site.

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 7/29/05 12:14pm
Msg #55680

Same exact thing happened to me yesterday!

and I emailed them Fed Ex's tracking information directly from their website. I absolutely love that! In my case, however, the receptionist never forwarded to the package to the closing dept. You think they would have asked her first.

Reply by LISA-CA on 7/29/05 12:18pm
Msg #55682

Re: Same exact thing happened to me yesterday!

On the FedEx receipt, where it asks for your signature if you don't want someone to have to sign for the package, do most of you sign there or not? I've never been sure which way is best.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 12:33pm
Msg #55690

Re: Same exact thing happened to me yesterday! - Lisa

No, I never sign for it to be signature release. I want to be able to see someone signed for the package - of course, the company can have a signature release on file, in which case no-one would sign.

Reply by Lisa-Ca on 7/29/05 12:44pm
Msg #55696

Re: Same exact thing happened to me yesterday! - Lisa

Thanks Sylvia. I never was sure if getting a signature would hold things up. For example, if FedEx arrives after the receptionist has left for the day.

Reply by IrisWA on 7/29/05 12:18pm
Msg #55683

In cases such as this instant you are speaking about, the tracking number helps -- but, in the extremely rare instance when a package IS actually lost, having a tracking number might not help.

Being an ex-NYer, I sometimes tend to think along unnecessary and defensive lines before-the-fact (can you say "paranoid"?). ;) In the hands of an unscrupulous SS or TC employee covering their own butt, they might suggest anyone can take a FedEx blank label, fill it out and use that tracking number as alleged proof the package was shipped.

This is not to suggest that you (or anyone else on this board) would ever do that, Sylvia ... but that possibility is there, however remote. And as opposed to taking that chance, I'd rather go through the nuisance of KNOWING the package has been lost versus any nominal rebilling charge.

Smiley

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 12:32pm
Msg #55689

Iris
If the package is actually lost and the tracking number might not help, then it does not matter whose address is in the Sender's box. How would having my address in the senders box help?

And in your scenario of the employee suggesting anyone could take a FedEx label, fill it out and use that tracking number as proof the package was shipped. How would having my name as Sender help in that situation?

Reply by IrisWA on 7/29/05 12:41pm
Msg #55694

I see your point!

Guess I hadn't thought it fully out ... hmmm... perhaps now I will also begin using the originator's address as SENDER.

LOL

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 12:53pm
Msg #55697

Re: I see your point!

Here Iris -Have a cup of coffeeSmiley LOL - it is early there - right?

Reply by IrisWA on 7/29/05 1:02pm
Msg #55703

Yes, Sylvia, it's earlier here -- totally OT

Thanks, I needed that cuppa!

Was up until at least 4 am! Had to rush my cat to an emergency facility. (She seems okay today, but only after an anti-emetic injection.) There goes the payment for the one signing I DID actually receive!

Now, back to the anatomy & physiology studying from which this wonderfully informative (and entertaining) board has been keeping me from. (Notice: it's the BOARD's fault, not mine!) Smiley

Have a good day!

Reply by On The Dot Signing Services, LLC on 7/29/05 7:54pm
Msg #55794

To make shipping easier, I got an online account with Fedex. The other day when I was creating a return shipping label, Fedex system would not let me complete the shipping request because I was given an incorrect account number. I called the company and got the correct number and completed the shipping package.

Reply by Les/CO on 7/30/05 9:56am
Msg #55866

I almost always drop my packages off at the 24 hour Kinkos near me. I ask them to scan in the account number to see if it's valid. Never had a problem.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.